Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#13401 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

We recently got a new manager. The one that accepted they position came out to start looking for a house. They then went back to where the live and said "no, thank you". Interviews started again.

So how long did it take it find someone to take the position (after they found out the cost of living)

I know a lot of manager type positions that are being advertised and remain hard to fill because they can't find anyone.  Even when they advertise out of town they get a lot of responses similar to the new manager you mention

#13402 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

Pay grades are the same, across the country for all position with the federal government.

Save for military personnel.

They receive a housing bonus depending on where they live in the country. So those employed by the navy receive an extra $800 per month to reside in Victoria compared to their counterparts in Halifax.

My number might be off a bit but I can confirm the exact amount.

Civilians working for the military, despite providing important or critical support services, do not receive such bonuses.

But that aside some people are not even getting paid because of IBM’s bungling of the Phoenix pay system.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13403 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

Military vs public service are not the same though. You have no choice where you are stationed. You have a choice where you decide to apply and work.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

^ exactly.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

No, that is also not entirely correct.

There is a mix of military members who have no choice and those who put forward requests. And for those who remain in active service the Forces work with you to ensure your postings make sense for you. There are certain positions that are specific to a city or a region, of course, and if you go that route you can expect to end up in location A. But once you start climbing you have significantly more control over your postings. In fact before an officer’s last posting before retirement, and you have to remember not all officers retire “old,” they are often placed where they will eventually want to retire. They’re more or less asked to submit their desired placement.

So it’s not as draconian as you might think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13406 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

Ya but civilians only move by choice, that’s our point. Don’t apply for the job if it pays too little for the place you live.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

The issue is more-so working in a long term position and ranking up seniority where the pay was once reasonable, but is reasonable no longer due to the rapid rise in the cost of living. And if you’re in a specific pay grade you can’t easily move to a higher pay grade because you want to, you have to be qualified for the position.

Know it all.

#13408 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

Find another job then. Unemployment is at an all-time low. Great time to jump.

#13409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

And give up seniority/benefits?

It’s not quite as easy as ditching McDonald’s to go work for Burger King.

But I do get your point, I’m just pointing out that the cost of living discrepancy between the two coasts is affecting federal job postings.

Know it all.

#13410 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

I guess it’s up the the individual. Federal government pension benefits are extremely transferable to other public service jobs.

But I guess it’s easier to be miserable and ***** for some people rather than go do something that makes them happier and perhaps more money.

#13411 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

OK this has again become necessary.

off-topic.jpg

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#13412 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:27 AM

And give up seniority/benefits?

It’s not quite as easy as ditching McDonald’s to go work for Burger King.

But I do get your point, I’m just pointing out that the cost of living discrepancy between the two coasts is affecting federal job postings.

Just so you know seniority means nothing at CRA. Vacation request, et al at first come first served.

#13413 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

I think that's the same for most companies, vacation requests have always been first come first served where I worked.  I've also been denied when I wanted to take 3 weeks in a row

#13414 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

BCGEU is seniority based- or at least Health is.

#13415 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

Are homeless vacations seniority-based?

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#13416 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

First-come-first-served seems hard to do, can people book like 4 years out?

#13417 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

Begging corners are... sure why not!

#13418 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Are homeless vacations seniority-based?

I think if you are wintering in Palm Springs, you are technically supposed to put your welfare payment on hold.

#13419 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

First-come-first-served seems hard to do, can people book like 4 years out?

We all have a buddy. You can't vacation the same time as them. If you had a really good reason, I dont see why not.

#13420 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

Tent City has moved to Willows Beach.  They seem to like Oak Bay.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users