Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#13421 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

Extortion in a tent? 'Tent City' finds permanent home in Oak Bay - municipality welcomes it to Willows Beach park - organizer suggests a food donation might prevent your municipality from having the occupation next

They were only scheduled to be in Oak Bay for one week, but now homeless activist Chrissy Brett and her team of tenters seem to have found a permanent home in that municipality, as they have been granted a new stay at Willows Beach Park.

In a Facebook post, she suggests that her fundraiser for "largest continuous food donation" might mean that the tenters will not "pick ur municipality to go to next".

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13422 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

...homeless activist Chrissy Brett...suggests that her fundraiser for "largest continuous food donation" might mean that the tenters will not "pick ur municipality to go to next"

This woman is a menace.

Edited by Nparker, 19 October 2017 - 09:24 AM.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#13423 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Ms Brett was just on CFAX. I think I heard her say they still want land of their own to set up camp. Also read that firefighters in View Royal had to attend to a fire/explosions/needles at a homeless camp near the Trans Canada highway. Could have been yesterday I think.

#13424 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Ms Brett was just on CFAX. I think I heard her say they still want land of their own to set up camp. ..

Then Chrissy should be raising funds to buy land somewhere rather than sitting on her ass all day.

• LocalMom, Nostalgic Victoria, mbjj and 2 others like this

#13425 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

I see we are making national headlines again, thanks to roving tent city.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Earned media!
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13427 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

How about this. Of course nobody wants a violent conflict.

But why not at least let us know that they are being ticketed?

#13428 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

This woman is a menace.

Yet I am glad the other municipalities are no longer blissfully ignorant of what Victoria has had to deal with for years.

• Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria and Midnightly like this

#13429 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

Then Chrissy should be raising funds to buy land somewhere rather than sitting on her ass all day.

Or going to work like the rest of us.  Do any of these homeless people actually work?  If not, no wonder they can't find a place to live

Even so, how the heck are they going to get a place?  On their application  Last residence: a tent.  Landlord name and phone number:  Oak Bay Police and 911

#13430 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

I am going to tell all my friends from out of town with their 5th wheels and RV's.  Choose a park, just drive straight in and spend the night.  Free parking anywhere in Greater Victoria (just say you are homeless)

I can already see 20 or 30 of these bad boys turning our parks into RV lots.  Trust me, if I had one I would do it, complete with tire ruts and all and then fire up the genset

Attached Images

• dutch star.jpg

#13431 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

Tent City has moved to Willows Beach.  They seem to like Oak Bay.

Oh, great. :whyme:

Well, now this becomes Nils Jensen's mess to clean up - let's see how he handles it.  If I were mayor of Oak Bay, the RCMP would've been down there the same day to shut down the "tent city" and to arrest Brett and the other squatters attempting to ruin another public space for everyone else.

#13432 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

RCMP?

Look, there is no doubt there is lots of hands-off since she is native.  And female.

But I would not have tolerated another move in the same municipality.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 October 2017 - 05:15 PM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#13433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

Victoria did. Beacon Hill, Topaz, then Songhees.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13434 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

^Yes, but Victoria agrees with their stance, no other muni does.

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13435 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

Several Victoria Council members said that it is was a protest and NOT a tent city and therefore they would not be asking her to leave. They came to an agreement that she would move on to a new location after a week.  

#13436 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

Several Victoria Council members said that it is was a protest and NOT a tent city and therefore they would not be asking her to leave. They came to an agreement that she would move on to a new location after a week.  

She's needs to beware of the machete guy in the Willows Beach area. She could probably find a safer location at a nice little park in the Uplands.

#13437 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

RCMP?

Look, there is no doubt there is lots of hands-off since she is native.  And female.

But I would not have tolerated another move in the same municipality.

She'd have to be a fool to play both the gender and race cards.  Anyone who does that kind of thing only shows themselves as sexist and/or racist (both common traits of liberals/leftists).

#13438 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

...Anyone who does that kind of thing only shows themselves as sexist and/or racist (both common traits of liberals/leftists).

Certainly not the behaviour you'd see from say, a conservative christian droning on about the "war on Christmas" or the like. Happy Holidays.

#13439 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

Indeed, the epitome of hatred is feeling nostalgic about a tradition held for centuries that is being suppressed in the name of political correctness. Oh, the unspeakable horrors of Christmas, what with Santa Claus, presents, family dinners, giving, helping, togetherness, light displays, carolling, volunteering, gratitude, love, compassion...
  • Nostalgic Victoria and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

#13440 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

...Oh, the unspeakable horrors of Christmas, what with Santa Claus, presents, family dinners, giving, helping, togetherness, light displays, carolling, volunteering, gratitude, love, compassion...

I'd reply but I refuse to take this thread any further off-topic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users