Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#13441 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Ms Brett was just on CFAX. I think I heard her say they still want land of their own to set up camp. 

The bands already have many pieces of land on prime waterfront that is available for tenting.

• Nparker likes this

#13442 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Gift them an acre of land 2000 km north, please.

#13443 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

^sure and what is SHE willing to pay?  I don't walk into a grocery store and demand free food, nor should she be entitled to free land

In this labour market all of these tenters should be working.  Heck, someone here said Labour Unlimited was short 50 workers each day

• Nostalgic Victoria and Midnightly like this

#13444 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

The bands already have many pieces of land on prime waterfront that is available for tenting.

Well the issue is that very few, if any, of the FN folks you see sleeping on streets or camping in parks are from local bands.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#13445 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

I saw Ms. Brett today downtown in a nice leather coat and boots, lol. I guess not her tenting outfit.

#13446 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

I saw Ms. Brett today downtown in a nice leather coat and boots, lol. I guess not her tenting outfit.

This could be a sign that she is moving her operation upmarket...........................GLAMPING.

• Nparker and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#13447 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

or is there some sort of George Orwell's Animal Farm thing going on?

• VicHockeyFan and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#13448 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

Indeed, the epitome of hatred is feeling nostalgic about a tradition held for centuries that is being suppressed in the name of political correctness. Oh, the unspeakable horrors of Christmas, what with Santa Claus, presents, family dinners, giving, helping, togetherness, light displays, carolling, volunteering, gratitude, love, compassion...

Happy diwali!!!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13449 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Hmmm been walking by parks and saw lots of campers everywhere (at all hours of the day) until the rain started... now no tents anywhere... could it be that there are shelter beds available but people choose to sleep in parks when the weather cooperates? Asking for a friend...
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#13450 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

because nothing beats 3 inches of rain this week.  I knew there had to be a positive side to this.  I thought they wanted their own land to camp year round?

I have to be by Willows Beach later today, I'll stop by to see if they are gone  :banana:

#13451 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

Some critics of shelters and supportive housing say operators of the facilities are not honouring their agreements — and that city council is not holding them to account.

Speaker after speaker at a recent public hearing about rezoning Mount Edwards Court for seniors’ supportive housing expressed fears that promises of security, staffing, restrictions on drugs or alcohol and monitoring of visitors wouldn’t be kept.

The facility, immediately adjacent to Christ Church Cathedral School, is to be operated by the Cool Aid Society. The school has students from kindergarten to Grade 8.

Several speakers cited the example of 844 Johnson St., the 147-unit former Baptist Central Care Home where former tent city residents now live, as an example that agreements with social-service providers promising performance standards can’t be believed.

That, they said, was brought home by a recent arbitrator’s decision that the operator of 844 Johnson — Portland Housing Society — cannot legally restrict visitors to the facility.

http://www.timescolo...emma-1.23071301

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13452 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

I saw someone set up in the covered porch next to Bean Bandits on Broughton street, Saturday morning.

#13453 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

I saw someone set up in the covered porch next to Bean Bandits on Broughton street, Saturday morning.

Oh ya, there is a person there daily.

I saw a security guard pull up to VanCity on Fort the other day and oust a woman sitting under cover there, on the street, but private property.   She was not pleased about it, the guy was very good.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13454 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

http://www.timescolo...emma-1.23071301

Why is the TC finally covering this issue properly now that MT Edwards has been approved? Now that city and Coolaid have allowed what will likely destroy yet another school and neighbourhood?

I was at the meeting. Those who opposed mt Edwards brought evidence, research, professional expertise, and experience to demonstrate why this was a bad idea. No the opposition is not just based on fear.

The minority in support only talked of their personal experience walking by it twice a day. Even though what is going to be there is entirely different from what has been.

Supporters (councillors who voted in favour included) were all talking of hope, as in “I hope this will work”. I’m getting seriously peeved at hearing that neighbours opposing mt Edwards only speak out of fear while everyone else is rational. It’s the other way around.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#13455 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

Look I have said for years the same as Gudgeon says in the article. What are the goals, what are the objectives the agencies are to meet in order to have their contracts renewed?

If the goal is to attract as many losers to this town as possible, they are meeting it.

If the goal is to end homelessness, big fail.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 October 2017 - 08:01 AM.

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 4 others like this

#13456 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

you are never going to end homelessness, you could give and give and give until you hurt and all these people are going to do is take take take.

Free/cheap housing = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

Free food/groceries = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

Free clothes = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

Free whatever = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

If I see someone begging for money, etc and they are smoking my immediate thought is you have money for cigarettes but no money for food?  Not my problem

All this is doing is enabling.  What we aren't doing is teaching and helping these people to be productive members of society, working, paying taxes, contributing to society, etc.  For that reason I refuse to give money to local charities any longer.

• LJ, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#13457 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

Will be interesting to see how they handle the homeless count in Feb. The standard used in 2016 was that anyone who did not have a permanent home was considered homeless. By definition then, everyone in any of the transitional shelters is still considered homeless. Add in the newcomers and campers and the number is sure to do double what it was previously. Is Helps going to stand up and say that we have spent $100M+ on homelessness over the past two years and the net result is that we have twice as many people who are homeless?

• VicHockeyFan, David Bratzer and Midnightly like this

#13458 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

...Is Helps going to stand up and say that we have spent $100M+ on homelessness over the past two years and the net result is that we have twice as many people who are homeless?

It will enable her argument for more money.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13459 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

I just finished watching Ken Burns's Vietnam; the generals insisting the US was winning because of the favourable body counts and kill ratios. The numbers don't lie, right?
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#13460 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

Will be interesting to see how they handle the homeless count in Feb. The standard used in 2016 was that anyone who did not have a permanent home was considered homeless. By definition then, everyone in any of the transitional shelters is still considered homeless. Add in the newcomers and campers and the number is sure to do double what it was previously. Is Helps going to stand up and say that we have spent $100M+ on homelessness over the past two years and the net result is that we have twice as many people who are homeless?

Until they address the 300-400 moving here every year, they will never address the issue in a meaningful way. No local officials or poverty industry folks ever talk about that aspect. A cynic would say that the steady influx creates a steady reliable demand for poverty industry services. I wouldn't say that but a cynic might.

Edited by rmpeers, 22 October 2017 - 10:29 AM.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)