Victoria homelessness issues

• Please log in to reply
13475 replies to this topic

#13461 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 493 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:57 AM

http://www.timescolo...emma-1.23071301

Why is the TC finally covering this issue properly now that MT Edwards has been approved? Now that city and Coolaid have allowed what will likely destroy yet another school and neighbourhood?

I was at the meeting. Those who opposed mt Edwards brought evidence, research, professional expertise, and experience to demonstrate why this was a bad idea. No the opposition is not just based on fear.

The minority in support only talked of their personal experience walking by it twice a day. Even though what is going to be there is entirely different from what has been.

Supporters (councillors who voted in favour included) were all talking of hope, as in “I hope this will work”. I’m getting seriously peeved at hearing that neighbours opposing mt Edwards only speak out of fear while everyone else is rational. It’s the other way around.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#13462 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 47,560 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:01 AM

Look I have said for years the same as Gudgeon says in the article. What are the goals, what are the objectives the agencies are to meet in order to have their contracts renewed?

If the goal is to attract as many losers to this town as possible, they are meeting it.

If the goal is to end homelessness, big fail.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, Yesterday, 08:01 AM.

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 3 others like this

#13463 tjv

tjv
  • 231 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

you are never going to end homelessness, you could give and give and give until you hurt and all these people are going to do is take take take.

Free/cheap housing = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

Free food/groceries = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

Free clothes = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

Free whatever = more money for drugs, booze, smokes, etc, etc

If I see someone begging for money, etc and they are smoking my immediate thought is you have money for cigarettes but no money for food?  Not my problem

All this is doing is enabling.  What we aren't doing is teaching and helping these people to be productive members of society, working, paying taxes, contributing to society, etc.  For that reason I refuse to give money to local charities any longer.

• LJ, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#13464 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,669 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Will be interesting to see how they handle the homeless count in Feb. The standard used in 2016 was that anyone who did not have a permanent home was considered homeless. By definition then, everyone in any of the transitional shelters is still considered homeless. Add in the newcomers and campers and the number is sure to do double what it was previously. Is Helps going to stand up and say that we have spent $100M+ on homelessness over the past two years and the net result is that we have twice as many people who are homeless?

• VicHockeyFan, David Bratzer and Midnightly like this

#13465 Nparker

Nparker
  • 16,041 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 AM

...Is Helps going to stand up and say that we have spent $100M+ on homelessness over the past two years and the net result is that we have twice as many people who are homeless?

It will enable her argument for more money.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13466 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,557 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 AM

I just finished watching Ken Burns's Vietnam; the generals insisting the US was winning because of the favourable body counts and kill ratios. The numbers don't lie, right?
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#13467 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 135 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Will be interesting to see how they handle the homeless count in Feb. The standard used in 2016 was that anyone who did not have a permanent home was considered homeless. By definition then, everyone in any of the transitional shelters is still considered homeless. Add in the newcomers and campers and the number is sure to do double what it was previously. Is Helps going to stand up and say that we have spent $100M+ on homelessness over the past two years and the net result is that we have twice as many people who are homeless?

Until they address the 300-400 moving here every year, they will never address the issue in a meaningful way. No local officials or poverty industry folks ever talk about that aspect. A cynic would say that the steady influx creates a steady reliable demand for poverty industry services. I wouldn't say that but a cynic might.

Edited by rmpeers, Yesterday, 10:29 AM.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#13468 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 47,560 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 AM

April:

Opinion: In just a one-year period, 388 homeless people moved into Greater Victoria – can we expect more?

http://victoriabctod...we-expect-more/

#13469 tjv

tjv
  • 231 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:20 PM

^interesting, but I guess if you will build it (free homeless shelters), they will come

If it is indeed true that 388 people moved to Victoria, then it isn't a local problem, not a provincial problem, but a federal problem

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13470 mbjj

mbjj
  • 489 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Yesterday I was walking near the Dutch Bakery. Some guy was sitting with his cap out. A young guy came along and gave him a bakery item in a bag. When I walked by fifteen minutes later, he was standing with cap out, eating his bakery goodie. Bad optics.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#13471 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,450 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Yesterday I was walking near the Dutch Bakery. Some guy was sitting with his cap out. A young guy came along and gave him a bakery item in a bag.

When I walked by fifteen minutes later, he was standing with cap out, eating his bakery goodie.  Bad optics.

Yeah, he could have traded his donut from some drugs and been shooting up when you returned fifteen minutes later.

• Nparker likes this

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#13472 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 4,336 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:45 PM

It's bad optics for a homeless person to be eating?

So, there is a guy that hangs outside the downtown Timmies. Nice enough, none aggressive, always says good morning. I have no need to carry cash or change, so one day I came out and let him know the church down the block serves breakfast. He was actually still polite, but let me know he he wasn't interested in breakfast.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13473 tjv

tjv
  • 231 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 PM

I would say there are 12-15 tents still at Willows this evening from a drive by

#13474 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 47,560 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

I've said it here time and time again.  The first step to lowering the homeless count is to register people requiring services at Our Place.  And cut out many of the free meals.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, Yesterday, 07:42 PM.

• pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#13475 tjv

tjv
  • 231 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 PM

^my thought would be to bring in a pay stub from labour unlimited, etc and get a free meal

#13476 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 47,560 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:59 PM

^my thought would be to bring in a pay stub from labour unlimited, etc and get a free meal

First off, just register.  You can not receive a welfare cheque without a register/screening system.  Free food, clothing, foot massages etc. should be the same.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, Yesterday, 07:59 PM.

• Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users