• Please log in to reply
25925 replies to this topic

#13461 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

April:

Opinion: In just a one-year period, 388 homeless people moved into Greater Victoria – can we expect more?

http://victoriabctod...we-expect-more/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13462 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

^interesting, but I guess if you will build it (free homeless shelters), they will come

If it is indeed true that 388 people moved to Victoria, then it isn't a local problem, not a provincial problem, but a federal problem

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13463 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Yesterday I was walking near the Dutch Bakery. Some guy was sitting with his cap out. A young guy came along and gave him a bakery item in a bag. When I walked by fifteen minutes later, he was standing with cap out, eating his bakery goodie. Bad optics.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#13464 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Yesterday I was walking near the Dutch Bakery. Some guy was sitting with his cap out. A young guy came along and gave him a bakery item in a bag.

When I walked by fifteen minutes later, he was standing with cap out, eating his bakery goodie.  Bad optics.

Yeah, he could have traded his donut from some drugs and been shooting up when you returned fifteen minutes later.

• Nparker likes this

#13465 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

It's bad optics for a homeless person to be eating?

So, there is a guy that hangs outside the downtown Timmies. Nice enough, none aggressive, always says good morning. I have no need to carry cash or change, so one day I came out and let him know the church down the block serves breakfast. He was actually still polite, but let me know he he wasn't interested in breakfast.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13466 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

I would say there are 12-15 tents still at Willows this evening from a drive by

#13467 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

I've said it here time and time again.  The first step to lowering the homeless count is to register people requiring services at Our Place.  And cut out many of the free meals.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 October 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13468 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

^my thought would be to bring in a pay stub from labour unlimited, etc and get a free meal

#13469 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

^my thought would be to bring in a pay stub from labour unlimited, etc and get a free meal

First off, just register.  You can not receive a welfare cheque without a register/screening system.  Free food, clothing, foot massages etc. should be the same.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 October 2017 - 07:59 PM.

• Nparker, spanky123, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#13470 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

^foot massages????? what's next manipedis?

Also, what ever happened to the time limits on welfare?  I thought there was something that you could only get welfare for 2 out of every 5 years

#13471 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

That was dumped in 2012.

#13472 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

Hmmm been walking by parks and saw lots of campers everywhere (at all hours of the day) ...

Tiny Quadra Park on Belleville St is turning into a regular tenting spot lately. Two - four tents most nights. 

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#13473 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

They're about to start the Belleville Phase 2 work. They may not be tolerated for long.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#13474 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Quadra Park is now owned by the City. It was one of the properties traded by the Province of BC for the Point Hope Shipyard land.

#13475 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

That was dumped in 2012.

ok, thanks.  to me that just confirms they have no plan to wean people off welfare, just keep them going forever on the system

#13476 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

ok, thanks.  to me that just confirms they have no plan to wean people off welfare, just keep them going forever on the system

With the $100 raise everyone just got, I'm sure most are now saving up for a damage deposit on a market rental.

#13477 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

A perspective on homelessness from someone on the street.... his thoughts corroborate what real research has found... yet our elected officials choose to continue doing what is wrong for everyone... revolting!

Very interesting, insightful and well written.

https://sqwabb.wordp...e-drugs-stupid/

« The region’s band-aid solution of trying to simply put drug-addicted homeless people on social assistance and warehouse them in social housing is woefully shortsighted.

First it can’t end homelessness and neither will it sustainably slow it down. It is not a stepping stone to real independence but more of a dumping ground for misfits that threatens to become a bureaucratic empire of the poor—a kind of gulag full of people with no expectations beyond their next government assistance cheque or hoot, whichever comes first.

Furthermore it does little to even reduce the appearance of homelessness. Paradoxically it will actually help keep the homeless people it houses roaming the streets for years to come.«

Edited by A Girl is No one, 25 October 2017 - 03:50 PM.

• Nparker, Sparky, lanforod and 5 others like this

#13478 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

^ The link that A Girl is No one has provided above is a MUST READ for everyone. Period. (Especially politicians that fold to pressures put on them by the likes of Crissy Brett)

That was a thoughtful and well written perspective. Social justice warriors need to embrace all aspects of homelessness if they want to eliminate homelessness.

Housing first and housing only........ will manufacture a sub culture of human beings that we won't want to help anymore.
  • lanforod, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#13479 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

...Housing first and housing only will manufacture a sub culture of human beings that we won't want to help anymore.

That's what I have been saying for years. Housing first with no other assistance is helping no one.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#13480 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Well to be fair that is what was supposed to happen all along, - four pillars. They just stopped at one pillar.

• VicHockeyFan, tedward and pennymurphy2000 like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users