Photo

Harbour Festivals Shows and Music and Trade Shows too..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

Thought this event was worth starting a new thread on Harbour 'programming"

Floating Boat Show..

Almost to the end of it's run... Sure can squeeze a lot of boats onto those floats if one doesn't have to be coming and going...

http://www.bcmta.com... ... winfo.html

Victoria's Inner Harbour

LIVE, LEARN, WORK AND PLAY

Victoria's Inner Harbour a gateway to the City of Victoria, Vancouver Island and British Columbia and is one of the most beautiful harbours in the world. The harbour has had a long history, starting with its use by First Nations.

Recreational vessels and small cruise ships can moor in the centre of this famous heritage city, just steps from its historic streets and distinctive architecture. During the summer months, the harbour is the focus of festivals, shows and music.

The Port of Victoria, although a major tourist attraction, remains a working harbour with a rich mixture of activities. The harbour serves the cruise ship industry, whale watching and ecotourism, ship repairing facilities, a float plane aerodrome, marine industrial uses, an International Ferry terminal with connections to Port Angeles, Bellingham and Seattle, and a water taxi service.

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) operates four port facilities. Ogden Point, a deep water facility, Fisherman's Wharf, Government Street/Ship Point and Wharf Street to Johnson Street. The latter two are both located in Victoria's city centre.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:06 PM

I believe they even put in some addl. temporary floating docks to accomodate all the boats for the floating show.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

^ Those aren't temporary docks. They are the new fingers that were built to encourage more large yachts to Victoria.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

Going to a real tight space to have 5 dragon boats going full bore accross the finish line to stop...

http://www.victoriadragonboat.com/

Last year the course had to be shortened because GVHA lengthened the floats in front of the Empress now they have squeezed the sides of the course..

The VDBF gets about 90 crews of 22 per crew + coaches + partners.. about 1/2 from away.. for a weekend event.. that starts on Friday and ends on Sunday night..

Hummmmmmmm!!??

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

^ Those aren't temporary docks. They are the new fingers that were built to encourage more large yachts to Victoria.

I'm familiar with the new permanent docks. But a buddy of mine sailed two ships down from Sidney for this thing, and he said they had the addl. docks.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

A short piece of float was added near gangway in front of the Empress... on the side where the little hut has been built for the GVHA..

Ot's right by the space where GVHA put in boom timber so that we can't paddle through there any more..

It used to be a "right of passage" for new dragon boat sterns and outrigger sterns - OC-6's to paddle under the gangway when the conditions were right.. It's a challange to take a 45 foot long canoe through there..

It used to be fun to chat up the tourists as we paddled by..

Oh well..

#7 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

INTERNATIONAL BUSKERS FESTIVAL SOCIETY CANCELS 2017 FESTIVAL SEASON
December 20th, 2016
INTERNATIONAL BUSKERS FESTIVAL SOCIETY CANCELS 2017 FESTIVAL SEASON
Society fails to be considered for city festival investment grant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users