BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#901 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

It is the grey water. That is all I know.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#902 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

Work has started on Madrona.

Madrona update...

They're breaking ground next week (did I remember hearing Tuesday?) and should start construction soon after.  And no those aren't solar cells on the roofs, I asked, its just the gravel pattern.

27023572434_50cb51375e_h.jpg

27356359060_a621048159_h.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#903 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

Are they building both buildings right away?

#904 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

I'd say yes - both buildings together (see third pic).  They're using the roadside lot where a future commercial building might go as a parking lot for those spots (at the Prosperity building) displaced during construction (second pic).

I'll be able to see the southern end of the south building from my condo.  BTW, those tents are for this weekend's SKAMpede (that didn't appear to be well attended).  Bummer that they've removed the stairs to Dockside Green (see last pic), we used those a lot when we lived there.

27615152114_bd60a04c72_h.jpg

27950065490_93d0b4af18_h.jpg

28230744475_0b7e034a13_h.jpg

28196814666_4cd9a2645e_h.jpg

27615182234_ed9bbbb790_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 10 July 2016 - 08:01 PM.

• RoadRunner likes this

#905 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

Over on the Encore thread there was some discussion comparing that project to DG.  Why can't DG get moving?  Especially now, considering the hot real estate market and the fact that Encore is just about sold out and hasn't even finished excavating.

I've given this some thought and IMO, having lived there for over a year, it's not about the real estate market, it's all about the shipyard, and more specifically, DG's proximity to it, especially the undeveloped section.  Bottom line, the shipyard can be extremely noisy.  I'm thinking it's the reason the original developers starting building from the north, farthest from the epicenter of the spurs nearest the turntable.  I'm afraid that despite DG's enormous efforts to create a viable vision for the future of DG, I would not be surprised if the remaining undeveloped property becomes a shopping mall or just more industrial space.

And speaking of industrial, they've leveled a large rectangular space with gravel just south of the Topsoil organic farm.  They've also got some folks working on a couple of those Evergreen containers.  Looks like they might be turning them into an art project or a prototype living quarters.  There's nothing I could find on the DG website except a picture somewhat relating to this on the BETA section.

DG BETA containers.png

29242856762_bd6707c4ff_h.jpg

29242852642_1270453849_h.jpg

29242854592_c4f343ae5b_h.jpg

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#906 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

At least Madrona is coming along at DG...

Perhaps the problem is partially related to the original developer chosen?

#907 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

Yes they are building Madrona, but it's worth noting they are craming it into existing land that is north of where the ships are worked on.  It's interesting, the newly expanded rail spur ends just south of the large "Point Hope Shipyard" building.  No one seems to want to build anything occupied by humans south of that building (see the red line below).  Even the 202 Harbour Landing office building was completely scraped and became a storage lot for beemers.  If this were a Sci-Fi movie (oh, like say the original Planet of the Apes), it's as if the area south of the prominent "Point Hope Shipyard" building is the "forbidden zone" - for development.   :D

dockside_development_places_header_rev redline.png

710_4.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 30 August 2016 - 08:09 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#908 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

Good observations, Gary.

I would like to add, though, that rooftop HVAC units atop office buildings in downtown Victoria can be quite a bit louder and create more impact on livability than the noise the shipyard makes on an average day. And it's not constant, it's not every day, and it ends come 5PM. HVAC units can run well into the night and spool up in the middle of the night. And you can't hear them until you're in the upper levels of the taller high rises in town.

I do think that the issue of the shipyard is one that will need to be overcome, and that might require the market maturing to the point where extra sound dampening windows and in-suite HVAC can be absorbed by the market. Which means $700-$750 per square foot for entry level units ($350k for an entry 1BR at 500 sq ft). And we're not quite there yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#909 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

I do think that the issue of the shipyard is one that will need to be overcome, and that might require the market maturing to the point where extra sound dampening windows and in-suite HVAC can be absorbed by the market. Which means $700-$750 per square foot for entry level units ($350k for an entry 1BR at 500 sq ft). And we're not quite there yet.

Honestly, it's not that expensive to make units more soundproof.  I've worked this issue in Victoria buildings, with windows.  But without AC, you are a bit stuck.  You need an AC unit, because whatever you do with window technology is shot when you have to open the window for cooling in the summer.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#910 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

Honestly, it's not that expensive to make units more soundproof.  I've worked this issue in Victoria buildings, with windows.  But without AC, you are a bit stuck.  You need an AC unit, because whatever you do with window technology is shot when you have to open the window for cooling in the summer.

The shipyard was there first and needs to make a noise. Give everyone sound cancelling earbuds.

#911 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, and with that comes the expense of a central HVAC unit that goes on the roof of the buildings. Honestly, I don't know why Victoria condos don't include them already. We have ~seven months of sunny weather in this town and even at low temperatures outside a unit can heat up right quick with direct sunlight between April and October. Throw in some wind, of which we have a lot, and opening a window in a highrise is ...exciting.

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#912 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Given demand for rentals, why not make the closest buildings to the shipyard into rental buildings. Make them dog/kid friendly and you'd have no issues filling those units. I realize that building rentals takes some $$ upfront. But still, it's pretty much a slam dunk once they are built. 

• Nparker likes this

#913 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

Would the units closest to Tyee and Esquimalt still be noisy? I get the area directly across from the shipyard maybe, but DG is a huge site. Why not start at the other corner.

#914 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

Build to a passive house standard....

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#915 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

And speaking of industrial, they've leveled a large rectangular space with gravel just south of the Topsoil organic farm.  They've also got some folks working on a couple of those Evergreen containers.  Looks like they might be turning them into an art project or a prototype living quarters.  There's nothing I could find on the DG website except a picture somewhat relating to this on the BETA section.

It's my understanding those containers are being prepared for next weekend's Thinklandia

Edited by rambaldi, 04 September 2016 - 03:54 PM.

#916 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Spectacular looking picture ...

Attached Images

• post-2217-0-96833700-1472616106.png

#917 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

Spectacular looking picture ...

Most science fiction has awesome illustrations.

• VicHockeyFan, 2F2R, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#918 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

I would like to add, though, that rooftop HVAC units atop office buildings in downtown Victoria can be quite a bit louder and create more impact on livability than the noise the shipyard makes on an average day. And it's not constant, it's not every day, and it ends come 5PM. HVAC units can run well into the night and spool up in the middle of the night. And you can't hear them until you're in the upper levels of the taller high rises in town.

I wonder if the sounds from rooftop HVAC units are covered by the City of Victoria Noise bylaw and its "tonal sound" provisions.

#919 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

If they are, what are the bylaws that regulate how much noise HVAC or rooftop coolers/fans can emit?

Know it all.

#920 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

Most science fiction has awesome illustrations.

Yup unfortunately I have the unshakable feeling the final result of D-G is going to be something of a disappointment, an underwhelming shadow of that rendering......

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users