BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#821 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

Rail yards has been delayed. The original plan was a 7 year build out. He just slowed down and re planned instead of busting. A lot happened in the las cycle... A lot. I get the skepticism though. Dockside was supposed to be a 7 year build as well... I give the area another ten years to feel done...ish.

#822 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

In fewer words that's what you mean.

No it is not.

You gotta understand that massive projects like Roundhouse takes years and years to get through the planning process. And only then can developers start the arduous process of finding tenants or selling homes before a single shovel hits the ground.

Again, this project has been in various stages of planning since at least 2007. Eight years of "planning" and not a single Roundhouse building is even close to going up. Permitting does not take that long.

KK - The Railyards has been successful, no doubt, but it is also moved very slowly and is overall an incredibly modest compared with DG and Roundhouse. I believe it has been delayed as well.

I'm not saying nothing will ever get built, but I'm not expecting much over the next five years or so. There is a lot proposed and coming down the pipe in Victoria, and there are other projects that are way ahead of DG and RH in terms of marketing and being close to getting their hands dirty.

#823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

Bayview first hit the planning tables in 1997, or thereabouts, and major changes took place before even Focus got involved. The first building wasn't completed until 2009. These mega projects take years.

The original Focus Equities concept for Bayview was 10-, 11- and 13-storeys. As we can see that all changed, big time.

Dockside lost its development partner, Windmill, which left VanCity stranded. The bank had to take the hit and figure out how and with whom it should proceed. I actually believe we'll see developmemt partnerships at DG like we saw with Bosa and Focus. That makes the most sense to me, but who knows.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#824 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

How many units were at the Hudson? 160 or thereabouts? Promontory could very well be the largest single phase condo project, ever, in Victoria.

I feel like I am on the fence positionally on this discussion but it should said that Promontory had 50 units sell to a single foreign investment group. Without that purchase, the project would likely not be viewed as an example of success.

#825 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

I'm sure there are plenty of projects selling units to all sorts of investors. There's nothing wrong with that. For 50 to be snapped up by a single buyer means someone is extremely bullish on Vic West.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#826 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

Not disagreeing but that is privilege only available to groups like Bosa that have the track record and contacts...It does skew the absorption rate by quick a bit that other developers may base decisions off of only to find themselves without that sort of privilege. 

#827 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

Not a single big project other than Janion has sold out since 2012 (the 834 being the last one). Sovereign, Duet, Mondrian, Union, Era, and 200 Douglas all have inventory and will for some time to come. All of those building are completed and buyers get exactly what they see without the waiting game or the gamble. It's a perfect scenario and yet units are still sitting around. That's just the nature of the industry, I guess.

Edit: The Hudson has 152 units which does make Promontory the single biggest condo building every built in the City of Victoria -- or at least in the last 15 years, give or take [Shoal Point is really three different buildings built over three separate phases but I don't know if even it has as many units]).

Know it all.

#828 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

Shutters must have quite a few units...it's huge.

#829 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

Collectively 185 between the two buildings, but yes, that would have been the biggest volume of units in Victoria sold as part of one single sales phase.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.

#830 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

Mike, when do you think we'll see a highrise go up at DG? Roundhouse?

Dockside is moving on the two rental buildings as the next phase. Construction will start next year.

Roundhouse is moving forward on Roundhouse Marketplace. They are now negotiating with tenants and in discussions with an anchor tenant for the grocery space. What goes into the grocery space dictates what they can lease elsewhere as big tenants have sway over who can and cannot lease near their premises if they are taking the biggest gamble.

We do know the next residential phase is Bayview Tower 3. Focus Equities have a partner lined up for that tower but they have not yet formally signed on and as such no formal announcement has been made. Then there are several lowrise buildings at Bayview that will be built. Towers at Roundhouse will be the last over-all phase for that entire swath of land as that's when top-dollar will be charged and warranted, sort of like what's happening at Hudson Place where the 24-storey and 17-storey towers will be the last to be built.

Know it all.

#831 Designer Diva

Designer Diva
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

So how about the condo owners on Sitkum in The Edge Building . . . do I see a 21 story tower in their view?

#832 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

Yup, for sure. If I were concerned about losing an unobstructed view and I lived there I'd consider selling. Or if I was buying with an unobstructed view in mind I'd consider looking elsewhere. Of course it could be many years before that part of Dockside is even developed.

Know it all.

#833 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

Did anyone go to the Planning & Land Use Committee meeting last week @ CoV?

Apparently there was a rezoning proposal discussed to move the non-market housing buildings to sites @ 370 & 384 Harbour Road; the presentation is at https://victoria.civ...resentation.pdf .

#834 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

http://www.timescolo...eboot-1.1962017

I bet the reduced density will be regretted in the future. I think this is a very short-sighted decision.

#835 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:13 AM

http://www.timescolo...eboot-1.1962017

I bet the reduced density will be regretted in the future. I think this is a very short-sighted decision.

We live in a strange world here.  Only here in the backwoods would reducing density make the stuff more attractive to developers.  In the big boy world, higher FSR always means higher profits.  Somehow here the only way it works is to go small.  Sigh.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#836 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

We live in a strange world here.  Only here in the backwoods would reducing density make the stuff more attractive to developers.  In the big boy world, higher FSR always means higher profits.  Somehow here the only way it works is to go small.  Sigh.

Reading between the lines my take is that reduced density means that they do not have to deliver on the amenities promised for higher density, they can reduce parking requirements and do not have to meet LEED requirements. If that is correct then reduced density may be more attractive.

#837 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

Reading between the lines my take is that reduced density means that they do not have to deliver on the amenities promised for higher density, they can reduce parking requirements and do not have to meet LEED requirements. If that is correct then reduced density may be more attractive.

Ya, you are probably right.  They are masking it in "let local developers" build.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#838 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

Ya, you are probably right.  They are masking it in "let local developers" build.

Don't forget absorption...especially with Bayview Place underway. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#839 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:25 PM

I saw the public hearing sign for the rentals. It was slated for tonight. Not sure what happened.

#840 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:40 PM

Affordable housing reignites Dockside Green development
http://victoria.citi...en-development/

The City of Victoria has approved two buildings for exclusive use as affordable "work force" rental housing at 370 and 380 Harbour Road as part of the Dockside Green project in Vic West. The development will be in partnership with Dockside Green developer Vancity and Catalyst Community Development Society, a not-for-profit using social equity in project financing that will own and operate the units once completed. Pacifica Housing will handle tenant intake and the day-to-day management.

The two buildings, referred to as R4 (19 units) and R5 (30 units), will rise to three floors with units ranging from 250 square foot studios to 1,130 square foot three bedroom and den townhomes. In accordance with BC Housing Income Limits maximum rent for studio apartments will be $737.50 rising up to $1,675 for townhomes. [Full article]

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users