BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#1021 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

34048123383_38b62c5291_h.jpg

What does it say about a project when the Alpine waste disposal container is more aesthetically pleasing than the building itself?

• kafkaesque likes this

#1022 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

What does it say about a project when the Alpine waste disposal container is more aesthetically pleasing than the building itself?

I think you just stumbled upon the true inspiration. Just as a painter uses a real model, the Alpine Waste is posing majestically as the builder constructs its image. The dimensions and colours are nearly exact!
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 2 others like this

#1023 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

A 3 story building will be going up in front of this blocking the view from the road so if you hate the look, at least it'll be temporary.

• zoomer likes this

#1024 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

A 3 story building will be going up in front of this blocking the view from the road so if you hate the look, at least it'll be temporary.

Unless that 3-storey building is just as ugly - or as unbelievable as this may sound - uglier than Madrona.  :eek:

#1025 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

I thought it was a picture of a temporary construction office trailer.  Alpine matches perfectly, other than having better lines with the lettering.  That is an eyesore. :confused: :confused: :confused:

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1026 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

Here's another view of the Madrona (taken today)...

Attached Images

• Madrona2.JPG

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 24 May 2017 - 11:55 AM.

• jonny likes this

#1027 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

It looks better without its finished cladding.

• kafkaesque likes this

#1028 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

These things really look like shipping containers stacked together.  The new hospital in Courtenay has a facade that I thought was temporary construction (not) and is a mix of colour blocks, with horizontal corrugation.  They just look like portables to me, not a thought out design.  Not a look I am fond of.

cvhosp.jpg

A screenshot from their video.  Not a great picture but just for a visual.

#1029 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

So, um....is there actually some sort of - you know - "plan" at play here or are they just making up the go-forward components of DG up as they go along? 'Cuz I have to say the site is starting to look less like a cutting edge and (potential) jewel in the Victoria crown and more like a large adult Lego Playland on acid.....

• Nparker and kafkaesque like this

#1030 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

From this angle, it's clear from where that architectural inspiration came.

The "good" side of the building has what looks like cast concrete cladding but I don't think it's concrete.  It's screwed on and at first I thought it might be insulation or sound proofing but the models they showed at last year's Street Fest appear to have the same type of cladding.  However, the (earlier?) rendering makes it look like a stone cladding was envisioned, and maybe still is.  Finally, what's up with the striped roof - are they really going to put large circular planters up there?

34504828890_6ce5f58949_h.jpg

Here's my photo again, with the rendering and physical models to compare.

34048123383_38b62c5291_h.jpg

15893507955_dda24a9694_h.jpg

34852014146_f93568800a_h.jpg

34505303930_a8cdbe3d80_h.jpg

#1031 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

So, um....is there actually some sort of - you know - "plan" at play here or are they just making up the go-forward components of DG up as they go along? 'Cuz I have to say the site is starting to look less like a cutting edge and (potential) jewel in the Victoria crown and more like a large adult Lego Playland on acid.....

No. Van City is clearly an incompetent group of fools. We're in the midst of the hottest real estate market in a generation and these dolts have accomplished almost nothing. I hope nobody on VV banks there.

Edited by jonny, 25 May 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#1032 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

I don't know jonny, I think it has much more to do with the land's location. The undeveloped side is across the street from an increasingly busy (a good thing) shipyard.  It's the elephant in the room, it's like a non-stop construction site.  The shipyard can be noisy.  IMO the realistic use for this land would be for an IKEA store or something along those lines.  If the shipyard wasn't there the condo / office towers would have been completed years ago.

Edited by Gary H, 25 May 2017 - 01:47 PM.

• RoadRunner likes this

#1033 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

I don't know jonny, I think it has much more to do with the land's location. The undeveloped side is across the street from an increasingly busy (a good thing) shipyard.  It's the elephant in the room, it's like a non-stop construction site.  The shipyard can be noisy.  IMO the realistic use for this land would be for an IKEA store or something along those lines.  If the shipyard wasn't there the condo / office towers would have been completed years ago.

I think the plan of the commercial fronting the shipyard works as a significant buffer. Anyone buying there expects this and is looking for a unique urban living environment. An IKEA suddenly being plopped in the middle would be a nasty blow to an already punished crew of early adopters (probably going to be living in a construction site for 20 years). I also find it crazy they are going to miss this boom. They should sell the land to Le Favre ideally. He is running out of room next door.  

• jonny likes this

#1034 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

I don't understand the noise angle. Most people aren't going to be home during the working day. And what about that whole thing re: nobody actually lives in condominiums, they just rent them or use them for vacation rentals? Is the noise so bad there that even vacation rentals wouldn't work? I just don't believe it.

I don't know, a straightforward (not complicated, not fancy) building like Astoria should be able to sell itself here. Especially if you put an urban format big box store at the base.

#1035 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

By "big box" I'm meaning London Drugs or Shoppers Drug Mart or a Winners or something like that.

• Nparker likes this

#1036 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

I don't understand the noise angle. Most people aren't going to be home during the working day. And what about that whole thing re: nobody actually lives in condominiums, they just rent them or use them for vacation rentals? Is the noise so bad there that even vacation rentals wouldn't work? I just don't believe it.

I don't know, a straightforward (not complicated, not fancy) building like Astoria should be able to sell itself here. Especially if you put an urban format big box store at the base.

+1

It is really downsizers/retirees who spend a lot of time at home that would be most bothered - first time home buyers and young professionals who work during the day... the effect is minimal. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#1037 cathawk

cathawk
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:06 AM

I don't know jonny, I think it has much more to do with the land's location. The undeveloped side is across the street from an increasingly busy (a good thing) shipyard. It's the elephant in the room, it's like a non-stop construction site. The shipyard can be noisy. IMO the realistic use for this land would be for an IKEA store or something along those lines. If the shipyard wasn't there the condo / office towers would have been completed years ago.

I totally disagree with this. I've spent lots of time over in Dockside Green and not once thought about the noise level. I too am quite shocked how slow Vancity has been in reacting to the boom. I sometimes wonder what would have happened to this site if it had been awarded to Westbank.

Hopefully we will see something more interesting soon.
  • Nparker, jonny and cathawk like this

#1038 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Janion sold out in like a day. It's as close if not closer to Point Hope and United Engineering than much of DG is. I still vote incompetence.

Put in some buildings that have A/C, like the Promontory has, and the noise issue will be minimized.

#1039 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

There are times such as last week and this week when the shipyard is very noisy. When they haul in some ships, particularly Navy ships, they grind the hull and also spend considerable time grinding the no-slip surfaces off the deck. The noise is constant all day, often for a week or more. With the windows open it is loud enough to be detrimental to normal conversation.

With the windows closed and air conditioning on the sounds are barely noticeable.

It is a healthy working harbour, complete with ship building, float planes, yachts and lots of other urban noises. Small price to pay, not really that annoying and part of being in an urban environment.

• Nparker likes this

#1040 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

As laconic said, they're grinding today.  If you can get down there, take a walk along Harbour Rd. and you'll get an idea of how loud it can be.  True, most people will be at work, but what about office / commercial?  The noise level varies a lot depending on what they're doing.  Grinding is the worst, it used to be barge demolition but they don't seem to do that anymore.

I totally disagree with this. I've spent lots of time over in Dockside Green and not once thought about the noise level. I too am quite shocked how slow Vancity has been in reacting to the boom. I sometimes wonder what would have happened to this site if it had been awarded to Westbank.

Hopefully we will see something more interesting soon.

Depends on where in Dockside Green you were.  I used to live at Dockside Green but in a northern facing unit in the northern tower (379).  I could not hear the shipyard noise at all during the day, just like here at Promontory I cannot hear the Encore construction on the other side of the building.  However, a retired neighbor of mine at DG decided to rent a larger unit at DG in the southern building facing the shipyard.  The noise level was so intolerable (they were doing a lot of grinding at the time) they decided to move out after just a month.  They couldn't open their windows during the day (and DG like most Victoria condos has no A/C).

I'm presenting my theory as to why, in this booming real estate market, no development has occurred south of the Balance tower at 373 Tyee Rd.  Look at Madrona, it was crammed into the space in front of the Balance tower when there was all this open space to the south.  Also, I'm just not understanding the incompetence argument.  Look what happened to the Harbour One office building - it became a new car storage lot, and that wasn't Vancity property.  What could Vancity have done better/faster when no developer would partner with them to build on the southern parcel?  Why wouldn't a developer want to build in a booming market?  Well, the thinking was that maybe the Master Plan with the City was too onerous, requiring big upfront expenditures on amenities that scared developers away.  That Master Plan was inherited by Vancity when they took over.  So they went to the City to make changes, but even now, with all the changes that were approved to make things easier to build, with subdivided lots and design guidelines etc., no parcels have been sold, no developers in sight.  

Anyway, maybe I've been watching too much "Genius" on NatGeo about Einstein's life (great show btw), and getting too caught up in theories and proofs.   :teacher:

Edited by Gary H, 26 May 2017 - 11:51 AM.

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users