BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#681 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Any thoughts of increasing density (i.e. height) in order to make future phases more cost-effective?

#682 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Don't know, we were at the Point Hope tour this afternoon.  These were pics of the tail end summary session.  I think tomorrow at Noon they'll be doing a recap of the design so far.

#683 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Has this briefing document been posted here already?

Nice pic with Promontory in the background. So would the second tower fill in that gap somewhat?

#684 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

Yes exactly, but Focus will move on a Roundhouse tower in advance of the third Bayview tower. Next up is a lowrise seniors residence at Bayview.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#685 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

Dissapointed to see they are not looking to increase density onsite. They actually state in the document that they might spread the density more evenly throught the site. Sounds like more short, squat buildings instead of a few tall ones....sigh.

• Nparker likes this

#686 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yup, they may very well settle on more six storey wood frame buildings rather than concrete midrises.

The bank is now behind this project, not a developer, and how many banks are known throughout the world for singlehandedly developing real-estate?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#687 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

The bank is now behind this project, not a developer, and how many banks are known throughout the world for singlehandedly developing real-estate?

WHAT IS VANCITY’S ROLE AS A DEVELOPER? AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY NEIGHBOURHOOD BUILDER? 

Vancity will remain responsible for managing Dockside Green and for developing all the neighbourhood elements, roads, parks, design guidelines and public amenities and infrastructure. We will seek 
partnership with like-minded builders to construct buildings. 

#688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

What is a like-minded builder?

Know it all.

#689 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

What is a like-minded builder?

One that shares the same values, goals, social conscience and business ethics.  And can get get them the hell out of this mess they got themselves in.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

A builder just gets a contract and builds, right? Will there be a tendering process or will they choose the sort of builder you describe regardless of cost?

Farmer Construction set up shop at DG more or less with the expectation they'd build the project.

Know it all.

#691 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

Vancity was always a development partner in this project from the start.  Remember a credit union is different than a major chartered bank

Ledcor sought to buy out the development a few years ago, but couldn't make the numbers work so pulled the plug

#692 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

VanCity was more of a financial partner, wasn't it? It was Joe Van B. and Windmill that brought the project together. VanCity's Jacques-Something (i apologize for not knowing the last name) advocated woodframe construction to remain profitable but Windmill went for concrete. Jacques was subsequently let go once the project faltered and Windmill left as well.

I sure hope the essence of the original plan will be preserved and we won't end up with a plethora of woodframe buildings in lieu of the towers that were initially proposed and subsequently approved.

I still don't understand what a like-minded builder is. Does this mean VanCity intends to auction off each development parcel to a developer who will then take the reigns for that one parcel, or are they referring to a contractor?

Know it all.

#693 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

Love the suggestion that others should hire security guards to ensure the safety and well being of their property and neighborhood, yet if someone even suggested raising taxes so there was enough money to fund a police force they would scream bloody murder.

I think telling others to hire there own to deal with issues creates a slippery slope... we have enough empires without creating a bunch of privately policed areas.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#694 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

Its been so long that I don't remember the exact details of VanCity's involvement, but yes one of their main functions was always financial.  I can't even remember why Joe Van Bellegham left 4 years ago

I don't know Jacques, do you mean Jack Julseth, but he's not with Vancity

Vancity will do anything to recover their investment like any business.  The last I heard they were trying to sell the whole thing, but have had no takers

#695 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Ah, found the name. It was Jacques Khouri who was the CEO of VanCity Enterprises and he alleged VanCity fired him over his ideas for affordable housing at Dockside Green. He maintained DG should have gone with woodframe instead of concrete which cost a lot to build and made the affordable housing requirement difficult to achieve.

VanCity should do what HSBC did with Bear Mountain, sell it and move on.

Know it all.

#696 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Ah, found the name. It was Jacques Khouri who was the CEO of VanCity Enterprises and he alleged VanCity fired him over his ideas for affordable housing at Dockside Green. He maintained DG should have gone with woodframe instead of concrete which cost a lot to build and made the affordable housing requirement difficult to achieve.

VanCity should do what HSBC did with Bear Mountain, sell it and move on.

True, but they can't find a buyer.  On top of that construction everywhere is grinding to a halt

#697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

They're not in it for $50 million, are they (do you know how much?)? I mean the entire swath of Bear Mountain sold for some $40 million or thereabouts.

Know it all.

#698 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I have no idea what they have in Dockside, its a private project and I doubt would ever be released.  Well maybe on the Vancity annual financials possibly.

HSBC was into Bear Mountain for over $250 million and yes sold for around $40 mil but that was only released because of the court documents.  I heard HSBC spent $4+ million in legal fees

#699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

I had heard Dockside spent around $8-$10 million on remediation but the City sold them the land for $1. Do you know what they asked when the last deal nearly closed?

Know it all.

#700 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

I have no idea what Dockside has spent in infrastructure and remediation to date.  Can't help you with the asking price either, but I did know if was too expensive for the economics to work.

Maybe the city should take back the lands since agreed milestones were not met which puts the contract in default.  Then the city could resell the land

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users