CANCELLED
Victoria Plaza Hotel
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 603 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
A proposal to redevelop the Victoria Plaza Hotel in downtown Victoria is envisioned a six-storey new-build win... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Plaza Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Victoria Plaza Hotel (aka Monty's) Redevelopment | Condos | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#441 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

Throwback Thursday.  5 years ago this week...  
Prospective purchasers of Monty’s and Plaza Hotel envision change - Victoria News

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#442 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

^Change envisioned; stagnation encountered.

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#443 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

^Change envisioned; stagnation encountered.

Is that on the official seal of the City of Victoria?

• jeffifah likes this

#444 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

The building has sold. Details to come.

• Mr Cook Street and thundergun like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#445 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

Amazing news. This building has been an eyesore for so long and really hurts the connection between Chinatown/Pandora and LoJo. Looking forward to seeing what it will become.

#446 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Amazing news. This building has been an eyesore for so long and really hurts the connection between Chinatown/Pandora and LoJo. Looking forward to seeing what it will become.

What if we find out the province bought it for low barrier housing?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

They didn't. I've got details coming soon.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#448 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

I heard it was an investment group from Vancouver and the plan is to tear it down.

#449 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

I heard it was an investment group from Vancouver and the plan is to tear it down.

That may be the plan, but will the City allow that?

• AllseeingEye likes this

#450 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Exactly; or will we be stuck with another Pam-inspired and backed Victoria "3-storey special"? Something *great* needs to happen in this block.....

• Nparker likes this

#451 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

Not the front facade, I don't think.  But they can work around that.

#452 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:21 AM

Nothing about this property is worth saving
  • Nparker, 2F2R and jonny like this

#453 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

The facade of the original Westholme Hotel fronting government st will be saved

I am also hoping and will demand that all of the purple sidewalk prisms will be saved and incorporated into the sidewalk
Currently they are there but covered with the current concrete sidewalks

#454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

Shuttered downtown Victoria hotel purchased by North Vancouver-based developer

http://victoria.citi...ased-developer/

Downtown Victoria’s shuttered Victoria Plaza Hotel complex at the nexus of Government Street and Pandora Avenue, once home to Monty’s Showroom Pub, Cabin 12 eatery and various nightclubs, has been sold to North Vancouver-based Pacific Gate Investment.

The four-storey hotel, built in 1911 as the Westholme Hotel, has sat vacant for several years following a failed attempt by now-defunct developer League Assets Corporation to restore a portion of the building and add a six-storey new-build wing along the northern edge of the property. Plans called for 106 condo residences and nearly 7,600 square feet of ground floor commercial space. [Full article]

Victoria-Plaza-Hotel-redevelopment-League-Assets-2013-rendering.jpg

Victoria-Plaza-Hotel-sold-Pacific-Gate-Investmentn-2016.jpg

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.

#455 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

This would be a huge plus for this zone! Let's hope it happens.

#456 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

Can Pacific Gate just take what League had planned and run with that or do they need to start from scratch?

What's an appropriate height for this area? I don't see this being a good spot for a 20+ storey building. 8-10?

#457 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

I'll be on CFAX at 3PM today discussing the purchase.

There are issues with this property that will need to be dealt with, namely soil conditions. It's too early to say whether they'll take what League secured through their rezoning run, but I would be surprised if they went ahead exactly as League had intended. They'll have to assess what the purchase+site prep costs are and whether they can make it work with 106 condos and 7,600 square feet of commercial space.

Know it all.

#458 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

I'll be on CFAX at 3PM today discussing the purchase.

There are issues with this property that will need to be dealt with, namely soil conditions. It's too early to say whether they'll take what League secured through their rezoning run, but I would be surprised if they went ahead exactly as League had intended. They'll have to assess what the purchase+site prep costs are and whether they can make it work with 106 condos and 7,600 square feet of commercial space.

Link?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

CFAX is reporting Ocean Gate Developments Ltd. Never heard of that firm, and until yesterday there has been no news published about the company. I believe Pacific Gate Investment, which my source said was the purchaser, is also the operator of Ocean Gate Developments.

More from CFAX: http://www.cfax1070....ria-Plaza-Hotel

Know it all.

#460 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

There are big issues with hydrocarbons under that property

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users