APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#481 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

I dunno, the roundhouse was one greasy place.  Hard to play around in when I was a kid without getting huge grease stains all over us.  I'm sure it's a remediation nightmare.  The car shop is fine.

On Dec 4th, a Community Engagement will be held inside the Car shop and those that want to see how rotting parts of the roundhouse are, can see first hand.  I would imagine that an event like this that includes food and drink, it should be fairly clean and structurally sound.  The other building that just had a movie shoot inside also seemed clean from my limited view.
Remediation on the other hand, could be interesting.

#482 streetwise

streetwise
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

Roundhouse update...

Chris, the new project manager (probably has a much more substantial title) has been brought in by Ken (they've worked together in the past) to get this project back on track.  After talking with him at the Vic West Street Fest I have no doubt he's the guy to get this done and things will be moving ahead quickly.

• Expect track removal and soil remediation to begin this summer.  Had it not been for the Bayview Place Island Savings Open sponser's party it might have already started.
  • The target opening of Roundhouse is by Encore's completion (around Feb 2018).
  • I expect to see some new signage and hear some announcements regarding tenants relatively soon.

Longtime reader and but first time poster.  Super interested to see what they role out on Dec 4th however I can't help but feel we seen this story before.  Looking back to the summer post from Garry I would be interested to hear what Chris's update this time around would be (assuming he is there). With a approved DP slowly ticking down, I would hate to hear that they are starting from square one as the last approval took a few years and consequently means we won't see much happen for another few years yet.  Not sure what other people think but as a local resident this project seems to be more show than go and I am not sure what to make of it...

#483 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

On Dec 4th, a Community Engagement will be held inside the Car shop and those that want to see how rotting parts of the roundhouse are, can see first hand. I would imagine that an event like this that includes food and drink, it should be fairly clean and structurally sound. The other building that just had a movie shoot inside also seemed clean from my limited view.
Remediation on the other hand, could be interesting.

Can confirm the food and drink; waffles and eggs benny will be provided.
  • Prom2 likes this

#484 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Longtime reader and but first time poster. Super interested to see what they role out on Dec 4th however I can't help but feel we seen this story before. Looking back to the summer post from Garry I would be interested to hear what Chris's update this time around would be (assuming he is there). With a approved DP slowly ticking down, I would hate to hear that they are starting from square one as the last approval took a few years and consequently means we won't see much happen for another few years yet. Not sure what other people think but as a local resident this project seems to be more show than go and I am not sure what to make of it...

Without an anchor tenant the commercial component is pretty hard to make financially viable. Until they get that tenant there's not much they can do other than wait.

Welcome to VV :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#485 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

Ken and Patricia Mariash will be throwing a couple of RSVP (re-)engagement parties the first week of December at the Car Shop.  One will be for Bayview residents, including new owners at Encore, the other will be for the wider nearby community.  They plan on sharing "some exciting new plans that are in the works for the Bayview Place property".    :teacher:

Come to the 2016 VV Xmas get together to hear the scoop.   :ph34r:  

http://vibrantvictor...-room/?p=350607  

I did attend the Mariash party on Thursday evening and enjoyed it very much. The food and drink were excellent and I thought it was a nice touch to see Spinnakers staff serving their great beer.  

Although I was impressed by some of the information passed along to everyone in attendance, I as a little disappointed that there were NO solid timelines announced for the construction of the Roundhouse.  There were lots of ideas displayed in slides, to give a feeling of what we could expect, however no real concrete start/end dates.  The only date that I heard put out there was the new Senior Housing (above rail line/kimta) start construction date of August of 2017.

I would ask Gary H if you heard anything more that evening or the following Sunday regarding 'work on the Roundhouse' ?  

• VicHockeyFan and SusanJones like this

#486 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

2020 is the year

#487 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

I thought there had been some sort of covenant that the hotel and other buildings on the west side cannot start until the Roundhouse work is done. Am I just tripping?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#488 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

I reported here many months ago from a reliable source close to the project that nothing will be happening until at least 2020 so the speculation can be put on hold for the next 3 to 4 years
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#489 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

The Roundhouse sign at Esquimalt + Tyee was changed on Friday...

Financing by ROMSPEN...

This is a new addition to the Roundhouse sign and IMO a signal that we're finally going to get this development started.   :banana:

A little research shows Romspen is one of Canada's largest non-bank commercial mortgage lenders and provides "customized solutions for term, bridge, and construction financing" with terms up to three years.  http://www.romspen.com/default.aspx

29626684401_a13ddff5b6_h.jpg

• DavidSchell likes this

#490 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

this development sure has been good to the local sign industry
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, dasmo and 3 others like this

#491 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Without an anchor tenant the commercial component is pretty hard to make financially viable. Until they get that tenant there's not much they can do other than wait.

Welcome to VV :)

With all due respect Mike, they have other options like sell (as the have been doing piece by piece) or replace the guy in the corner office with someone that has the ability to broker a deal.......tenants are out there.

#492 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

Two boxcars have arrived at the Roundhouse site. These are the first of several that will be used as retail spaces as part of the project.

Tomorrow morning a crane will arrive on-site to start the unloading.

Photos are on VV's Facebook page and on VV's twitter.

Thanks to a little bird for the heads-up!

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#493 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

Two boxcars have arrived at the Roundhouse site. These are the first of several that will be used as retail spaces as part of the project.

Tomorrow morning a crane will arrive on-site to start the unloading.

Does this mean development of the site is close to starting?

#494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

I will speculate that that might be the case. This year we could see something.

Know it all.

#495 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

There is something ironic about old-school rail boxcars arriving by truck.

17861694_10155148611909362_1562917988466

• Nparker, Matt R. and Jackerbie like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#496 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Without undercarriages no less.

The box cars are more for advertising at this point. They have made platform complete with rails and ties on the southeast side of the presentation center. One of the cars will go there.

#497 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

Two boxcars were delivered by truck, then moved into one of the roundhouse bulidings for painting. This morning one of the freshly painted boxcars was positioned outside the presentation centre.

Attached Images

• IMG_20170425_120845.jpg
  • IMG_20170425_122040.jpg
  • IMG_20170425_122121.jpg

• jonny, thundergun and kafkaesque like this

#498 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

Add a bit of animation...

Attached Images

• IMG_20170425_121953-ANIMATION.gif

• Mike K., Nparker, jonny and 3 others like this

#499 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

Right on!

Know it all.

#500 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

Next Bayview release OPEN HOUSE today.  8am to 8pm.   will be interesting to see how this goes.

by 7:30am this morning they were busy setting up under the big tent...  and it looks like they are expecting a big turnout.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users