APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#541 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:58 PM

I'm glad we all agree on this. The finishing in Bayview One is top notch. Easily one of the nicest in Victoria. 

Marko is right - those solid core doors  :banana:

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#542 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:56 PM

Any news on the the necessary land remediation?

#543 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:14 AM

https://www.timescol...osed-1.24196268

#544 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:16 AM

After years of promising wonderful community facilities on this site as part of his his smos, Marish is now trying to make more big bucks here. Our city council never bothered to get firm commitments in writing and now will just ignore all the promises and give him even greater profits.

• zoomer likes this

#545 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:34 AM

prospects for more retail were never going to be good. so sure he wants more residential.

#546 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:38 AM

text to go with my earlier link:

proposal to allow more than 1,000 rental units in at least four 26- and 30-storey towers in the area around the historic E&N Roundhouse will go to the City of Victoria this week.

The rezoning plan would add residential use to a portion of Bayview Place in the Songhees off the 200-block of Esquimalt Road, where it had not previously been planned.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 September 2020 - 06:38 AM.

#547 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:39 AM

He got approval for his first projects by promising to build public facilities such as a theater as well as stores. Actually he personal used these promises in trying to sell my wife and I a penthouse in one of the building. He spent at least twenty minutes detailing all the wonder amenities he was going to build. Glad we ignored his sale crap.Sadly I am sure that other buyers believed him.

• songheesguy likes this

#548 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:43 AM

oh well. nobody can boldly predict the future. that’s the nature of speculative purchasing.

did you end up buying near centennial square to be near the theatre there?
  • Nparker likes this

#549 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

Here’s our info from earlier in the year: https://victoria.cit...-bayview-place/

While there’s definitely huge demand for another grocery store in Vic West, it looks like Dockside might beat Bayview to the punch. In which case Bayview needs to pivot as you wouldn’t be able to sustain two additional commercial areas to the one already established at West Side Village.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#550 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:55 AM

Victoria Watcher: You are missing the point, perhaps intentionally, that his initial rezoning was built upon him providing community amenities. The city failed to properly secure these promises but they should not reward him with any further rezoning when he has failed to live up to his side of the bargain. 

#551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:58 AM

In what year would this have been (the proposal to sell you the penthouse), Barrister?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#552 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

Victoria Watcher: You are missing the point, perhaps intentionally, that his initial rezoning was built upon him providing community amenities. The city failed to properly secure these promises but they should not reward him with any further rezoning when he has failed to live up to his side of the bargain.

I guess. council certainly does not need to approve his new proposal.

but I suspect they might.

#553 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

The prioritization of residential is no surprise if Focus wants to build anything viable in the foreseeable future. COVID-19 restrictions and the corresponding economic fallout will keep demand for commercial space down for a while. 

#554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

At the time Mariash was selling Bayview One, Roundhouse was only a distant dream. A near-decade later plans first emerged, like circa 2013-2014 for Roundhouse, and the concept wasn't approved until (maybe) 2015. Since then it has sat untouched while the remaining Bayview towers were completed (Encore and Promontory). Now Aquarra is on-hold with no specific date for a construction start.

I think it's safe to say whatever had been envisioned for Roundhouse back in 2005 when Bayview One was selling, or even in subsequent years after it completed circa 2011 and was still selling, would have been a very, very long projection into the future.

Know it all.

#555 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:54 AM

The way things are going I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the CoV's design advice produce a windowless 30-story slab with nothing but seafoam spandrel on the lower 15 stories and nothing but grey panel cladding on the upper 15 stories.

There would be some brick trim on the podium, of course.

• Mike K., zoomer, Rob Randall and 2 others like this

#556 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

...There would be some brick trim on the podium, of course.

Of course today it might be yellow instead of red.

#557 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

I talked with him I believe it was about three years ago. Which is fairly recent. The original approvals for these buildings also contained detailed plans for the development of the roundhouse. The two were interlinked. 

You are going to do the pro-developer dance so let me safe you the trouble.

• songheesguy likes this

#558 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

I think that this is a good project and many people have worked very hard to see this through.

My only concern is that the amenities actually be delivered as the consulting firm discussed. Developers seem to have a habit of digging holes in the ground and then whining to council about not being able to deliver what they promised.

Step up and collect your prize.

• songheesguy likes this

#559 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

Very excited about the number of rental units coming to the area. Not so excited about what sounds like several nearly identical 26-storey towers (more upset about the lack of height variation, not the heights themselves).

• zoomer likes this

#560 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:27 AM

I talked with him I believe it was about three years ago. Which is fairly recent. The original approvals for these buildings also contained detailed plans for the development of the roundhouse. The two were interlinked. 

You are going to do the pro-developer dance so let me safe you the trouble.

interlinked or set in stone never to be changed?

we've seen changes like dockside green or even uptown or royal bay or whatever the thing was called city centre when it was at colwood corners.  stuff changes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users