Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1681 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

Fun fact: Beverley Hills is one of nearly 90 (88 I think?) independent cities/muni's within LA, and that's not including cities in Orange, Ventura or San Bernadino counties.

Wait, are you suggesting that LA is in any way a positive model for local governance?  :lol:

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1682 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

Gosh golly no!

The one good thing about the LA area, which we don't have, is the main city (LA) is massive and includes enough land to sway local politics. The little View Royals that encompass the rest of the LA basin (I'm speaking in general terms here, of course) have a collective squeak but at least there's no turf wars between some place like Carson City and the Big City, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1683 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

http://www.saanichvo...y-amalgamation/

A Citizens Assembly, said the report, “appears to be the best way forward on the question of amalgamation. At the same time, we acknowledge that Saanich pursuing amalgamation on its own is not possible due to provincial legislation (Community Charter, Part 9, Division 1, Article 279). Amalgamation by its very nature must be a collaborative exercise with other municipalities. Until a consensus emerges across the region we do not recommend that Saanich pursue its own amalgamation path.”

The report has many recommendations including a two-term limit for council members (this would require BC legislation), limiting and explaining in-camera meetings, earlier public posting of agendas, leadership training for councillors, assigning councillor liaisons to community associations, seeking provincial legislative changes to allow the chairperson of regional districts and up to 40 per cent of of regional board directors to be directly elected at-large – and Saanich should be receptive to the creation of a regional police force

#1684 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

Anybody reading Vibrant Victoria today, will definitely not be alive to see amalgamation in the CRD.

So there's that somewhat sad and morbid little factoid to consider.

Personally, at my advanced age, I just accept that the CRD is a giant kack-up, and then I move on knowing I'll be long gone before folks ever get to vote on amalgamation let alone experience it.

No inside facts or "secret reports" to quote or link to in support of my prediction ... I've just lived here all my life and know how little kingdoms and little kings like to hold on to their crowns for as long as possible.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#1685 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

... I've just lived here all my life and know how little kingdoms and little kings like to hold on to their crowns for as long as possible.

A sad, powerful truth. :(

#1686 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:03 PM

Well any VV'er brave enough to venture onto the FB group "Local Governance Talks 2.0" is welcome to stir things up - lots of local politicians including mayors and councilors on this group and the dreaded "A"-word is right at the top of the s*** list insofar as the backers of the current regional governance model is concerned....

As far as I know only RJag and I belong to it. You are forewarned though: its heavily biased toward the status quo of a bajillion municipalities so if you want to argue the "pro-A" side be prepared to defend thyself, lol...

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#1687 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

I'm not active in that group, but I'm a member and read it occasionally.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1688 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

I'm not active in that group, but I'm a member and read it occasionally.

Cubberley, Screech and most recently Atwell are the mayors who post for sure, the first two with great regularity. Beth Burton-Krahn an Esquimalt councilor is the primary moderator I believe. She and Cubberley especially are staunch defenders of the Status Quo along with assorted of their minions who post in support and LIKE everything and anything they post from an "anti-A" standpoint.....

#1689 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

Cubberley, Screech and most recently Atwell are the mayors who post for sure...

All of whom have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. :mad:

For f***'* sake, why is the Highlands a municipality? It basically has a smaller population than any CoV neighbourhood

pop.JPG

To put this insanity in perspective, the main office of the Ministry of Health has nearly half the population of the Highlands. Perhaps I should lobby for 1515 Blanshard Street to be declared its own municipality. I mean we're unique and deserve the appropriate level of governance - right?

• Mike K. and tedward like this

#1690 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

It is more than twice the size of the CoV for one.  What do you think will happen to the families of the Highlands if amalgamation goes through?  Representation?  Where will their tax dollars go?  Collateral damage I suppose for the greater good (i.e the CoV).

#1691 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

Probably split between saanich, View Royal and Langford. Seems alright.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1692 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:59 AM

Highlands could always become like Willis Point, which isn't a part of any municipality, and thus can't amalgamate with anybody.

#1693 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Highlands could amalgamate with Metchosin.  No reason one municipality can not have two distinct areas of land, unconnected.   View Royal practically has that now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1694 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

If that happens Metchosin’s poicing costs would rise quite rapidly. I believe there are savings when you’ve got a pppulation of about 5,000.

Know it all.

#1695 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

so are you proposing we amalgamate certain municipalities within the CRD?  Say Central Saanich, Sidney and North Saanich together?  All of the westshore together?

I'll vote for amalgamation, but I am expecting at minimum at 10% drop in my property taxes because of all the efficiencies we should gain by eliminating departments, eliminating jobs (no need for multiple fire chiefs, police chiefs, planners, etc), etc

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1696 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

so are you proposing we amalgamate certain municipalities within the CRD?  Say Central Saanich, Sidney and North Saanich together?  All of the westshore together?

I'll vote for amalgamation, but I am expecting at minimum at 10% drop in my property taxes because of all the efficiencies we should gain by eliminating departments, eliminating jobs (no need for multiple fire chiefs, police chiefs, planners, etc), etc

You cant look at it from a cost saving perspective. you have to look at it from an efficiency position. Unfortunately the type of politician we have cannot comprehend that when 2 departments merge that its not automatic to raise everyones wages to the highest paid, but through attrition you can create efficiency over time. Look at Safeway and Overwaitea, they bought all their highest paid employees out years ago, it cost a fortune, but created a more stable environment and didnt bankrupt their pension plans.

The first thing you hear out of most local politico's mouths is, the volunteer fire dept in one area will have to be made into full time professionals....nonsense

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#1697 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

so are you proposing we amalgamate certain municipalities within the CRD?  Say Central Saanich, Sidney and North Saanich together?  All of the west shore together?

Yes. A 3 municipal model makes sense:
The Core (Victoria, Esquimalt Oak Bay, Saanich-south of Royal Oak Drive, View Royal-east of Burnside Road West)
Saanich North (Sidney, North & Central Saanich and Sannich-north of Royal Oak Drive)

West Shore (Langford, Colwood, Metchosin, View Royal-west of Burnside, Highlands & Sooke)

something like this:

map.JPG

• rjag likes this

#1698 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

There is post after post explaining why amalgamation costs more but still might be a good idea. Do people miss these posts or do they selectively choose which facts they will remember?
  • VicHockeyFan and tedward like this

#1699 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

There is post after post explaining why amalgamation costs more but still might be a good idea. Do people miss these posts or do they selectively choose which facts they will remember?

Yes, No and maybe.

• On the Level likes this

#1700 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

These small councils dont have the expertise or management skills to manage large budgets....in fact most of these folks have never owned a business and have no clue and therefore rely on 'staff' to guide them....

so CofV council are experts?  I wouldn't let them manage construction of a dog house.  I think the last council the CofV had with a lot of business expertise was in the early 80's with Bob Wright, Peter Pollen, et al.  I am actually trying to remember who else was on City Council at that time

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users