Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1701 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

Kelly Armstrong (Glen Oak Ford etc.) was on council for a bit.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1702 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Yes. A 3 municipal model makes sense:
The Core (Victoria, Esquimalt Oak Bay, Saanich-south of Royal Oak Drive, View Royal-east of Burnside Road West)
Saanich North (Sidney, North & Central Saanich and Sannich-north of Royal Oak Drive)

West Shore (Langford, Colwood, Metchosin, View Royal-west of Burnside, Highlands & Sooke)

something like this:

Realistically I think some of rural Saanich could be sliced off and given to the Westshore.  Why just look at current boundaries?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1703 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Realistically I think some of rural Saanich could be sliced off and given to the Westshore...

Probably, but since amalgamation is never going to happen, it's all just an exercise in speculation anyway.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1704 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

The CRD as a whole (including Juan de Fuca) actually has a smaller land area (2,340 sq km) than the City of Ottawa (2,778 sq km) and 7 other Canadian municipalities, believe it or not.

Why stop at 3 municipalities.

Back when Mike Harris and his Bill 26 in Ontario slashed the number of municipalities in Ontario in half, Sudbury, Ontario and 6 surrounding municipalities (and more unincorporated areas) amalgamated into a single, 3,228 sq km municipality.

Canada's largest municipality La Tuque, Quebec has a land area of 28,099 sq km. That's twelve (twelve!!!) CRDs.

#1705 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

If that happens Metchosin’s poicing costs would rise quite rapidly. I believe there are savings when you’ve got a pppulation of about 5,000.

RCMP Policing is cheaper if your municipality is under 5,000 residents.

• Mike K. likes this

#1706 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

^^Yup. The Halifax metro is 5,000 square kilometres.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

RCMP Policing is cheaper if your municipality is under 5,000 residents.

That's it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1708 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

so CofV council are experts?  I wouldn't let them manage construction of a dog house.  I think the last council the CofV had with a lot of business expertise was in the early 80's with Bob Wright, Peter Pollen, et al.  I am actually trying to remember who else was on City Council at that time

I never said that, in fact I think you could lump every single council in the region into my statement. Pretty well the only person I have any respect for these days is Mike Hicks.

CoV are agenda driven based on ideology, Saanich for the most part is a private club that still havent got over the loss of the 'boss', OB (where I live) are still trying to figure out the 20th century, never mind the 21st. Esquimalt ....well they are the red headed stepchild....there is so much opportunity over there and yet....View Royal, dont get me started on the fact that a bedroom community that collects such a huge amount of gaming revenue as to why they dont want any type of amalgamation (why would they want to share such a windfall, it makes spending so much easier) Langford is the maverick, they saw the missed opportunities that the core ignored and capitalised on it, between big box stores and sheer development, they have flipped the bird at the core and the core is so self absorbed that they have no clue of the massive missed opportunity of recurring tax revenue that Langford has created in 2 decades.

Edited by rjag, 19 October 2017 - 10:35 AM.

• Mike K., Nparker, LJ and 3 others like this

#1709 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

It's this kind of thing that people fear most about Amalgamation.  Instead of being JDF, it could be View Royal or Oak Bay getting railroaded...

“CRD senior staff have confirmed that the Juan de Fuca will be represented by the CRD and, quite possibly, by directors opposed to the JDF receiving water. The JDF will not be allowed to make a direct submission to the mediator or arbitrator.”

Hicks says that not only is it a problem he won’t be heard, but that nominating Isitt is akin to having a fox argue on behalf of the hens.

“The fix is in as far as I’m concerned. It’s discriminatory to the residents of Juan de Fuca,” Hicks said. “I feel that the Juan de Fuca will not be represented at the arbitration or the mediation fairly. Not even close.”

http://www.timescolo...pute-1.23067462

#1710 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Isitt doesn't want JDF to have water because it would "encourage urban sprawl".

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1711 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

And Hicks pointed to how all of Metchosin has water and it has a negative growth rate.

#1712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

As does most if not all of East Sooke.

Know it all.

#1713 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:19 PM

For f***'* sake, why is the Highlands a municipality? It basically has a smaller population than any CoV neighbourhood

And that is just the way they want to stay.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1714 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

It would be much more effective for Isitt if he clamped off the water supply for the CoV.

Edited by On the Level, 19 October 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1715 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:37 PM

And Hicks pointed to how all of Metchosin has water and it has a negative growth rate.

The municipality with the most wells wins, and the one with the most troughs looses...water you think about that?

#1716 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

Kelly Armstrong (Glen Oak Ford etc.) was on council for a bit.

Allan Lowe is another high profile ex-CoV official/mayor - business owner that comes to mind as well...

#1717 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

And that is just the way they want to stay.

The Highlands is the epitome of over-governance that dominates our region. It is absurd to have an entire level of government to manage the affairs of 2000 people.

• tedward likes this

#1718 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:03 PM

The Highlands is the epitome of over-governance that dominates our region. It is absurd to have an entire level of government to manage the affairs of 2000 people.

There are high schools that size

#1719 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,013 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

Ha! Where does salt spring, as part of the crd, fit into the mix? Lots of wells and failing septic systems over here!

Matt.

#1720 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:38 PM

Look, Highlands is huge in size. There is something to say for crust.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users