Photo

Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1741 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

...There are real, tangible issues when a community of only 2,000 people in a metro region of nearly 400,000 is self-governed, self-regulated and represented by politicians from an incredibly small, inter-woven community of residents.

This.

#1742 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

What do you make of Indian Reservations then?

Symbols of failed policy for over a century.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag and Cassidy like this

#1743 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

So if I read the TC right today, every single mayor plans to re run, save for Sooke thinking about it, and North Saanich unavailable for comment, on vacation.

That probably does not bode well for amalgamation if they all get re-elected.

Is Amalgamation Yes going to be active this election season?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1744 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

...Is Amalgamation Yes going to be active this election season?

I can't see why they would even bother. The majority of voters who had the opportunity to voice their opinion on the matter of amalgamation in 2014 told the politicians what they wanted. They were promptly ignored. What reason is there to believe there has been any change in the 4 years since?

#1745 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Almalgamation YES is NO...echo...Almalgamation YES is NO...echo...echo...echo, blah, blah, blah.

#1746 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Vancouver Island amalgamation debates set to restart in 2018

Duncan and North Cowichan hope to hold referendum this spring, Victoria proponents plan next steps

There are only three certainties in Greater Victoria: death, taxes and discussions about amalgamation.

Whether B.C.'s capital region should have fewer municipalities than its current 13 will be back on the radar this weekend, as the "Amalgamation Yes" group meets to discuss strategy for the 2018 municipal elections.

"We remain true to our mission, which is requiring the region has more accountable, responsible effective governance," said Shellie Gudgeon, co-chair of the group.

How the group goes about moving Greater Victoria toward fewer cities and towns through this election cycle is yet to be determined.

In the 2014 elections, the group campaigned in support of non-binding referendum questions in eight municipalities. Voters in seven of those areas — including Victoria, Esquimalt, Saanich and Central Saanich — voted in favour of either amalgamation in the region, or to direct their municipalities to look at greater efficiencies.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1747 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

26169236_10214715105767349_2425582014788

62 years ago.

• Nparker likes this

#1748 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Who knew that amalgamation was now a heritage issue?

#1749 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

De-amalgamation is also a heritage issue

In 1927, the rural voters of Saanich disputed the municipal assessments as being invalid and illegal because they included farm improvements in the value of the land, contrary to the Municipal Act. In 1928, a petition was signed by 758 residents of Wards 6, 5 and part of 4 to secede.   By 1949, Council still refused to support those wards wanting to take advantage of the Saanich Relief Act. In October of that year, Council passed a motion to discontinue the ward system and asked the Provincial Government to repeal the 1927 Saanich Relief Act.

In January 1950, the Minister of Municipal Affairs advised Saanich Council that he was recommending the petitioners' request be granted and asked Saanich for an inventory of assets and liabilities.  The Corporation of the District of Central Saanich was incorporated on December 12, 1950 and the first council meeting was held January 16, 1951.    

In 1950 and 1951, Gordon Head, Shelbourne and Cadboro Bay also considered secession and the possibility of joining the Municipality of Oak Bay.

https://www.memorybc...central-saanich

#1750 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

While not directly related to this thread, the Duncan-North Cowichan amalgamation vote has been set for Saturday, June 23.

#1751 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

Total no brainer. Their municipal boundaries make about as much sense as ours

Attached Images

• download (2).jpeg

#1752 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Total no brainer. Their municipal boundaries make about as much sense as ours

I give you Cote Saint-Luc, QC! Municipalities on the island of Montreal are all messed up due to a forced amalgamation of the entire island in 2002, and then referendum-led fragmentation in 2004. Yes, two blocks of Avenue Macdonald are part of Cote Saint-Luc, but only on the south side of the street. The north side is part of Hampstead, QC.

Capture.png

• RFS and nerka like this

#1753 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

The City of Duncan is ridiculous. For sure.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1754 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

Amalgamation in B.C.'s capital region — where 13 municipalities oversee 380,000 people — is a topic that often gets brought up, but rarely gets resolved in any concrete way.

But this week, the leaders of the region's two biggest municipalities — Victoria and Saanich — met with the provincial government to discuss how a process might play out.

"It was good. It was basically an information gathering meeting," said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps, describing a meeting between herself, Saanich Mayor Richard Atwell and Municipal Affairs Minister Selina Robinson.

"Now we'll go back to our council and discuss what next steps could look like," Helps said.

Helps and Atwell said the biggest issue highlighted by the provincial government — which would have to approve an amalgamation referendum and subsequent changes if successful — is the level of community engagement needed in all steps of the process.

"In order to get there, if that`s where we end up, we need a fulsome process that gets down to the nuts and bolts of things, involves all stakeholders, and walks a careful path, that is bulletproof in a way," said Atwell.

"So when we get to that decision, there's no doubt that's the decision to make."

Robinson said the preliminary conversation was a good starting point, but cautioned that any formal process would be lengthy.

"If you want to make it happen in a right way, you need to make sure your process is really good and solid, and that does take some time."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-2018-1.4619531

#1755 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

Working with Victoria to put a joint amalgamation question forward at the 2018 municipal elections was passed unanimously last night at the Saanich council meeting.

http://saanich.ca.gr...51&meta_id=6394

This is on Victoria’s meeting agenda for the Thursday meeting.

#1756 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

Working with Victoria to put a joint amalgamation question forward at the 2018 municipal elections was passed unanimously last night at the Saanich council meeting.

http://saanich.ca.gr...51&meta_id=6394

This is on Victoria’s meeting agenda for the Thursday meeting.

Didn't we have a question on the 2014 ballot?

• Nparker likes this

#1757 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

Ya but Sanich’s was convoluted.

#1758 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

Yes, but this will be a question about that question. In 2022 there will another question to see if both municipalities agree to the wording of the question.

#1759 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

IIRC, the 2014 question was along the lines of: “Are you in favour of reducing the number of municipalities in Greater Victoria through amalgamation?”

My read is this next step will be more specific. Something like “Are you in favour of the municipalities of Victoria and Saanich amalgamating into one new municipality?”

#1760 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

Saanich makes no sense as a municipality, but I also wouldn't merge all of Victoria and Saanich into one municipality. If I divided the CRD, it would be thusly:
1) "City if Victoria", consisting of Victoria, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, View Royal, and all of Saanich except the rural areas of West Saanich east of Elk Lake and Wilkinson Rd.
2) "District of Saanich" composed of those rural areas, Central Saanich, North Saanich, and Sidney
3) "City of West Shore" Langford, Colwood
4) "District of Juan del Fuca" Including Metchosin, Sooke, and everything past Sooke
  • LJ likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users