Photo

Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3053 replies to this topic

#1421 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

^ People are going to be upset to find out that they paid good money to see some unknown indie band and not Peter!

#1422 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

Maaaan - you know you're getting older when you start to sound like your parents: "who? what? Never heard of them!'

All I know about the National is that for decades its been the CBC late night 11pm newscast. Peter Mansbridge, Lloyd Robertson and for the real old timers, George Finstad, were the members of that group as far as I am concerned :). In spite of having a teen millennial in the house I've no clue who this band is, lol....

I'm not sure that many teens listen to The National. Most of their fans are in my age bracket (24-35 or something like it).

• Matt R., thundergun and nerka like this

#1423 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Tickets for The National in Vancouver at the Queen Elizabeth Dec 1 and 2 went on pre-sale this morning.  Four packs for the Friday show were gone in 5 minutes, nothing left but 2's in row 30+.  

Matt.

^ That is because they are now for sale on StubHub!

I wanted to get two tickets for the Dec 2 show, but I was in a meeting and couldn't get online until fifteen minutes after the presale started. By that point, there were only single tickets available. Ticketmaster also would only let me use the "find best available" feature, so I couldn't even buy two single tickets near each other.

I'll try again with the general public sale on Friday, but I'm not holding out hope. I imagine bots will slurp up the tickets in a matter of nanoseconds.

It's only amateurs buying tickets at too low a price. Allegedly.

Be 'reyt.

#1424 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

For the uninitiated, here is The National.

• Matt R., Jill and nerka like this

#1425 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

I'm not sure that many teens listen to The National. Most of their fans are in my age bracket (24-35 or something like it).

No doubt; most boomers particularly in the middle stages of that group are still in our Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cult and (maybe) Linkin Park phases, heh. The really_old boomers at the tail end of the demographic remain transfixed apparently in perpetuity on Side Two of Led Zeppelin IV....

*This just in - and "nope" the teen confirms your hypothesis - she has no idea who the National is so they must indeed be a "tweener" act.

#1426 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:32 AM

Gen X if anything.

Not sure how many bots were involved, had to use the Ticketmaster "Verified" program, a first for me. Sign in to the presale site on TM, register your email, and they send an alert with a unique ID code to your phone or email, which you then must use to unlock the presale. I got two sets of two, row 28/29.

I love The National, it's going to be an awesome show.

I also got my Gen X "Decemberists" tickets for August, at the Orpheum. That one went real quick. :)

Matt.
  • Jill and nerka like this

#1427 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Gen X if anything.

Not sure how many bots were involved, had to use the Ticketmaster "Verified" program, a first for me. Sign in to the presale site on TM, register your email, and they send an alert with a unique ID code to your phone or email, which you then must use to unlock the presale. I got two sets of two, row 28/29.

I also got my Gen X "Decemberists" tickets for August, at the Orpheum. That one went real quick. :)

Matt.

There wouldn't be bots involved yet, since it's still the verified fan presale. But only a certain number of tickets were set aside for the presale. The rest will go on sale on Friday, and the bots will be ready.

#1428 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

Gen X if anything.

Matt.

Never heard of either.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1429 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

So good. Never seen them live, looking forward to it.

Matt.

#1430 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Also, did someone post about steve Earle coming to Victoria?

https://livevictoria...how/343642/view

Matt.

#1431 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

I've seen the National and Steve Earle play and would highly recommend them both!

• Matt R. and nerka like this

#1432 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

Matt.

That was for 2014 according to the poster

Edited by Cassidy, 17 May 2017 - 01:04 PM.

#1433 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Saw Steve Earle a couple of times in the late 80's-1990/ish: of course that was the 30+, Copperhead Road and pre-strung out on dope days version, and he was pretty good live. His sister toured with the band at that time and was a superb fiddler and electric violinist. No idea what the grandfatherly, 60-something Earle sounds or performs like these days.

#1434 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

Matt.

I saw Steve Earle a few years ago and what he lacks in audience interaction he makes up for in musical instrument wizardry. Go see him if you haven't.

#1435 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

That was for 2014 according to the poster

Fake news!

I saw this just come up in my FB feed yesterday, never thought to check if it was two years old! Wtf!

Matt.
  • Cassidy likes this

#1436 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

Fake news!

I saw this just come up in my FB feed yesterday, never thought to check if it was two years old! Wtf!

Matt.

It was an excellent show BTW.  :)

• Matt R. likes this

#1437 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell is dead aged 52. He played last year at The Royal, in 2013 at UVic's Farquhar Auditorium and his first concert here was a sold-out show at The Royal back in 2011.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1438 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Actually his last show was July 2016 at the Royal theater. It was bretty good!

• Cassidy likes this

#1439 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Something about grunge rockers from Seattle and killing themselves, eh? Left three children and a wife behind. Dang.

He had an incredible and unique voice. I'm a fan of his work from Soundgarden to Audioslave to his more recent solo stuff. Never saw him live, for one reason or another. He always struck me as a strange and sad dude.

Edited by jonny, 18 May 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#1440 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

2017 Pemberton Music Festival cancelled as organizers file for bankruptcy [link]

"As PMF is now in bankruptcy, it has no ability to provide refunds for tickets purchased. However, ticket holders may file a proof of claim form as an unsecured creditor with [Ernst and Young] in accordance with the claims process.

"Refunds may be available to ticket holders from third parties if tickets were purchased using a credit card. As each bank and credit card issuer have their own specific policies, ticket holders are asked to contact their bank or credit card issuer directly to determine whether a refund can be obtained."

Edited by Jackerbie, 18 May 2017 - 03:42 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users