Photo

Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
1457 replies to this topic

#1441 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

I guess last year we hit peak festival, and now we're seeing the fallout from that.

#1442 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 2,631 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt/Gorge

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Apparently a combination of fewer acts touring this year combined with many of the expenses being paid out in US $$$$ sunk them. Will be interesting to see if miss teen ASE gets her money back. I believe tickets were in the neighborhood of $3-400. I won't hold my breath. Might be an expensive life lesson coming up for her.....

#1443 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

Miss Teen JF wasn't thrilled with the Pemby line-up but, was looking forward to the experience. Having bought the ticket for her 19th birthday present myself, I'm hoping for a refund. Contacted CC company who seem to be open to providing refund. That's what CC cover's about - knowing you're covered if you don't receive what you paid for. I suppose I could tell Miss JF that she just won't get a birthday present and to learn a life lesson (which is, what, don't trust concert promoters? resign yourself to travelling to the US or UK for festivals?) but, I think that'd just be adding insult to injury.

She's really quite bummed about the whole state of music festivals - said to me, "is that the end of music festivals altogether now, do you think?". Don't really know what to tell her. She's at prime festival age. Such great times and music to be had. Her dad and I and no doubt many of our contemporaries enjoyed so many of them. We were taking her to them when she was a newborn and a toddler. Too sad that now's she's grown she can't enjoy even a small slice of what was on offer 18 years ago. Ah well, need to get her saving up for Glastonbury 2018 now!

Oh, not really buying the exchange rate thing. US/CAN wasn't that different a year ago. There must be more to it?

Edited by Janion Fan, 18 May 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#1444 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 2,631 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Miss Teen JF wasn't thrilled with the Pemby line-up but, was looking forward to the experience. Having bought the ticket for her 19th birthday present myself, I'm hoping for a refund. Contacted CC company who seem to be open to providing refund. That's what CC cover's about - knowing you're covered if you don't receive what you paid for. I suppose I could tell Miss JF that she just won't get a birthday present and to learn a life lesson (which is, what, don't trust concert promoters? resign yourself to travelling to the US or UK for festivals?) but, I think that'd just be adding insult to injury.

She's really quite bummed about the whole state of music festivals - said to me, "is that the end of music festivals altogether now, do you think?". Don't really know what to tell her. She's at prime festival age. Such great times and music to be had. Her dad and I and no doubt many of our contemporaries enjoyed so many of them. We were taking her to them when she was a newborn and a toddler. Too sad that now's she's grown she can't enjoy even a small slice of what was on offer 18 years ago. Ah well, need to get her saving up for Glastonbury 2018 now!

Oh, not really buying the exchange rate thing. US/CAN wasn't that different a year ago. There must be more to it?

Seemed pretty weak to me too, then again I'm still in my Jethro Tull phase so what do I know?

Don't know what the mix was re: US vs Canadian acts, however assuming the majority were 'Murrican, who were to be paid in US bucks according to the sources I read, and your taking in Canadian dollars at the turnstiles, the difference is potentially substantial.

I gather too this festival has never been on solid financial ground and that ticket sales both last year and this were substantially below expectations.

#1445 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

The receiver's fact sheet says they lost money the last 3 years, and ate the losses.

http://documentcentr... Fact Sheet.pdf

Or at least the Q & A says that.

http://documentcentr...d Questions.pdf

They were on an upward trend though.

Tickets were $369 and up (some early birds sold for less).

#1446 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

So is the Pemberton news good or bad for Rifflandia? Frees up some artists but makes ticket buyers more wary?

#1447 nerka

nerka
  • 561 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

I'm not sure that many teens listen to The National. Most of their fans are in my age bracket (24-35 or something like it).

Some teens listen to the National. I gained instant credibility with the two teens next door when they found out I liked the National and the Shins :-)

• VicHockeyFan and FirstTimeHomeCrier like this

#1448 nerka

nerka
  • 561 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

I also got my Gen X "Decemberists" tickets for August, at the Orpheum. That one went real quick. :)

I'm a little bitter that I am going to be away for that :-(

• Matt R. likes this

#1449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 35,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

So is the Pemberton news good or bad for Rifflandia? Frees up some artists but makes ticket buyers more wary?

See, that's what I've been thinking. Paying hundreds of dollars for a festival up front before you even know the line-up is kinda risky.

Oh, and Rifflandia says they'll be announcing the line-up soon.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1450 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

An Evening with Daniel O'Donnell
Date: Thursday, September 7 2017 7:30 pm
On-Sale: Friday, May 26th, 2017 at 10:00am
Share with your friends!

International star, Daniel O’Donnell, has announced that he will be returning to tour across Canada in September this year. The tour will see the record breaking chart singer blaze a trail from Victoria & Vancouver (BC) in the West, right across all the provinces to Halifax (NS) & St.John’s (NL) in the East (an impressive run of tour dates that takes in 10 out of 10 of the Canadian Provinces).

Commenting on the tour announcement, Daniel said “I’m really excited about this tour, it will take us to quite a few cities in Canada which we have not performed in before, as well as to some of our old favourites, offering us an opportunity to meet both new & familiar faces. I love meeting and performing for the fans, it is one of my greatest pleasures in life. I’m so very thankful for them, as they are the ones who make these shows happen.

In total, Daniel has now reached the UK Artist Albums Chart with more than 37 albums and has now amassed THIRTY ONE Top 30 albums over the course of his career. Over his long and continuingly successful career Daniel has received many accolades including an honorary MBE from Queen Elizabeth, an appearance on Top of the Pops, his life celebrated on This Is Your Life and multiple Entertainer of the Year/Person of the Year Awards in Ireland and the UK to add to his record breaking chart appearances.
More Events Account Login Box Office Locations Victoria Royals
© 2016 Copyright by GSL Group. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe, click here

#1451 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

Managed to get National tickets during the general sale, but I'm scratching my head over all the charges. For two $53 tickets, there was a $6 "facility charge," $40 "service fee," and $5.50 "order processing fee." So for two tickets that are supposedly fifty bucks, I end up paying over $150 total.

Also, I just checked and it looks like it is down to single tickets already (after 24 minutes).

Edited by FirstTimeHomeCrier, 19 May 2017 - 09:24 AM.

• Matt R. and nerka like this

#1452 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

What row and section did you end up with?

Matt.

#1453 nerka

nerka
  • 561 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Also, I just checked and it looks like it is down to single tickets already (after 24 minutes).

I just bought two seats, one behind the other. Best I could do.  I was in meetings all morning till now.  I'm definitely toward the old fogey end of Gen X so it will be interesting to see if I am the oldest guy there :-)

Holy service charges batman! Reminded me how much I love ticket monster

• Matt R. and FirstTimeHomeCrier like this

#1454 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

Got another post on my FB feed about Steve Earle playing Vancouver on Oct 1.  Am I stuck in a time warp or is he coming to Victoria and Vancouver after all?

Matt.

#1455 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

What row and section did you end up with?

Matt.

Row 24, centre section.

• Matt R. likes this

#1456 thundergun

thundergun
  • 864 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

Got another post on my FB feed about Steve Earle playing Vancouver on Oct 1.  Am I stuck in a time warp or is he coming to Victoria and Vancouver after all?

Matt.

Looks like this time it's legit. Oct 1st @ the Commodore - http://www.steveearle.com/tour/. Tix already on sale, $55 before LiveNation assaults you with fees.

#1457 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 2,631 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

The Bank of Montreal Mastercard office tells us as of Friday that its "highly likely" miss ASE will be fully compensated for her Pemberton ticket, so while I am cautiously optimistic I will hold off for now on counting that particular chicken until I see it actually on the roost....

#1458 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:51 AM

Then they will charge back TicketFly. This might push TicketFly into bankruptcy.
  • Matt R. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users