110 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

The child died yesterday.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:58 PM

http://www.viha.ca/a...m_12oct2016.htm

Boy dies from eating poison mushroom

October 12, 2016

Island Health confirms that a three-year-old boy has died after ingesting a poisonous mushroom.

“We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the child’s family,” said Dr. Richard Stanwick, Island Health’s Chief Medical Health Officer. “This tragedy reinforces how important it is for recreational mushroom hunters to know the difference between a poisonous and non-poisonous mushroom. To an untrained eye, it’s easy to mistake a toxic mushroom for an edible one. If you aren’t sure, leave it in the ground.”

The youngster was foraging for wild mushrooms with his family last week at an undisclosed location in downtown Victoria. Mycological examination of specimens collected at this site suggests that in all probability he ingested the Amanita phalloides mushroom, also known as the “Death Cap” mushroom. Tests to confirm the presence of specific toxins in his system from this variety of mushroom are ongoing. He was initially treated at Victoria General Hospital, and later airlifted to a hospital in Edmonton where he died last night.

This is the first recorded death in this province from a B.C. Death Cap mushroom.

Stanwick explained that the differences between poisonous and non-poisonous mushrooms can be very subtle, sometimes only seen microscopically. They grow in both urban and remote settings, and are becoming more common in urban areas such as Victoria, Vancouver and other regions across the province.

While it doesn’t look like any popular edible species native to B.C., the Death Cap does resemble the paddy straw mushroom, an edible and popular mushroom that grows in Asia.

If people choose to forage, Dr. Stanwick urges them to familiarize themselves with wild mushrooms, focus on the ones that can be easily identified and known to be safe and edible – and avoid the remainder, especially the Death Cap. Better yet, go harvesting with an expert in the field or even join your local mycological society.

The Amanita phalloides has an ordinary appearance. It is mainly white, with a white or yellowish stem, a cap that ranges from yellowish-green to light brown that is round when young and flattens with age. Its stem is bulbous at the base, and may be buried in soil. At maturity, it can be fairly large, up to 15 cm across.

“At the urging of the family, efforts will be made to improve public education of these risks as well as work on possible signage appropriate to locations where Death Caps are found,” Stanwick said.  

Tips to stay safe while mushroom hunting:
• If you are unsure or uncertain, don’t eat it;
• Only pick and eat mushrooms that are well known, distinct and easily identifiable;
• Dig up the entire mushroom if uncertain, to help in its identification;
• Eat small amounts;
• If you suspect you’ve consumed a poisonous mushroom, call the BC Drug  and  Poison Information Centre at 1-800-567-8911 or 604-682-5050, and seek medical attention, or call 911. In both cases, keep a sample of the mushroom or food that was eaten.
                                                                  BC Centre for Disease Control

For more information, please go to the BC Centre for Disease Control website at http://www.bccdc.caand search Death Cap mushrooms.

Media inquiries:
Kellie Hudson
Media Relations Manager
kellie.hudson@viha.ca

http://www.viha.ca/a...m_12oct2016.htm

Edited by todd, 13 October 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#23 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

Why is a three year old out foraging for food?

What sort of supervision were his parents delivering?

Did he eat it raw right out of the ground?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#24 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

Why is a three year old out foraging for food?

What sort of supervision were his parents delivering?

Did he eat it raw right out of the ground?

AMY SMART / TIMES COLONIST OCTOBER 12, 2016 02:22 PM

A three-year-old Victoria boy has died after eating a “death cap” mushroom found downtown, prompting health officials to pursue an education campaign about the invasive species in the wake of the tragedy.

The boy and his family harvested the mushroom just steps from a sidewalk on a residential property last week, Island Health’s chief medical officer Dr. Richard Stanwick said.

.....see more: http://www.timescolo...toria-1.2363831

Edited by todd, 13 October 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

As I walked along Mason Street between Vancouver and Cook about 90 minutes ago, I noticed that the "saviours of Mother Earth" at the Mason Street "farm" had a sprinkler running in the midst of the downpour. A funny way to be eco-friendly if you ask me.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:07 PM

They’re just helping to slow the force of the reservoir’s runoff.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,333 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:31 PM

i finally got my CERB benefit today.

I used it to buy baby chickens.

Money for nothing and chicks for free.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2020 - 04:31 PM.

• Matt R., jsan and mbjj like this

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:00 PM

During peak harvest, Dheensaw has roughly 45 workers tending to about 90 acres of land. On May 28 he had only 16, and the new hires still need training.

“You can burn up the whole day just training people and re-training people,” he said. “We’re working 16-hour days just to try to keep up.”

And hiring for the physically-demanding, outdoor job with long hours and a steep learning curve has been challenging, he added, speculating that the Canada Emergency Response Benefit – offering $2,000 a month in benefits – may be more appealing to people who might otherwise look for seasonal work.

https://www.vicnews....rmer-thousands/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 June 2020 - 02:00 PM.

#29 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

Oak Bay couple might have world’s tallest foxglove:   

https://www.vicnews....llest-foxglove/

#30 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:45 AM

That's neat. I have quite a few foxgloves and my tallest, I suspect a raccoon was rooting around looking for grubs and pulled it 2/3 out of the ground so it sort of collapsed.

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#31 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

I’ve got about an 8 foot one at the moment.
  • mbjj likes this

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

Lots of wild foxglove around, deer won't eat them as it causes their heart rate to decrease.

• todd likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#33 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

I’ve got about an 8 foot one at the moment.

Once I mix some fertilizer and artificial lights..

#34 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:32 AM

$2.4M

https://www.realtor....nich-blenkinsop

BLENKINSOP VALLEY 21.21 ACRES OF FARMLAND IN FIVE TITLES TO BE SOLD AS ONE PARCEL. This family legacy property has been continuously farmed for over 50 years with a wide variety of successful market crops. Fabulous location, close to town and in the ALR, zoned A1. Local business leases part of one parcel with an office, PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB TENANT OR WALK ON PROPERTY. The property has incredible potential for farming but is in the floodplain so a few restrictions which should be checked out with Saanich Municipality if any questions. 

863319_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2021 - 10:32 AM.

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:32 AM

At this moment it's a giant lake but they still manage to get two crops a year off the farm during the warm months. But that's a lot of goddamn carrots you gotta sell for $4.5 million.

• todd likes this

#36 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:40 PM

Any chance for additional drainage?

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

Any chance for additional drainage?

drill a hole to china maybe?

#38 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:56 PM

drill a hole to china maybe?

actually the other side comes out around France well Port-aux-Français.

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:00 PM

actually the other side comes out around France well Port-aux-Français.

i do not think so.  you need to get your globe repaired.

somewhere southeast off the coast of africa.

https://www.antipodesmap.com/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2021 - 01:00 PM.

#40 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

i do not think so. you need to get your globe repaired.

somewhere southeast off the coast of africa.

https://www.antipodesmap.com/

https://www.geodatos...canada/victoria

It’s the closest city you would need to run a pipe to it otherwise the ocean water would just backflow. Asia is surprisingly close contrary to popular belief.

Edited by todd, 21 January 2021 - 01:14 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users