BUILT
The Horizon, phase 1
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: Tyee Road at Gaudin Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, townhome)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Horizon, phase 1, is a four-storey condominium building along Tyee Road at Gaudin Road in The Railyards, a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Horizon, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] The Railyards | Condos; townhomes

• Please log in to reply
604 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

So most of the (Songhees) buildings now look unattractive and dated. Such is the fate of most architecture.

This is the part that I disagree with. Those first buildings on the Songhees looked unattractive and dated right out of the box. The worst culprits over there are terrific examples of the sort of cheap and generic resort architecture that I despise so strongly. It's supposed to look prestigious, but it actually looks faux (not genuine). It's supposed to seem as if Victoria had provided some sort of unique inspiration for it, and yet you can find virtually indistinguishable stuff in Vancouver, or Whistler, or Kelowna, or Anaheim, CA, or a hundred other places.

The modern wing on the Laurel Point Inn still looks great, don't you think? It's a contemporary of the first Songhees buildings. Glassy buildings tend to age very well.

But as you say, more money buys better materials and (often, but not always) a better design.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

Welcome Ernesto,

I too love the original townhomes at Railyard. I imagine that as they age they will increase in value due to their unique design and location.

I still have to worry about the rest of the site and I think moving to detached housing would be a huge mistake. Moving towards the density and use that is seen at selkirk or even dockside on the southern end of the site would be appropriate though of course doing in the style of the rest of the Railyard.

#23 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

Well I vastly enjoy the townhouses along the Goose, I find this area, just like Selkirk should have had more density. The idea of using up old industrial lands is great, but make the most of it, when its gone, its gone! - I would have liked to see more height on the buildings further back from the townhouses, to create a bigger population base and wider vibrancy down there.

#24 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

What I think Railyards has done well as well as Selkirk and where they differ from Songhees is in the useless grass around the buildings. That dead lawn all around so many apartment buildings and condos makes for a dead space. Railyards and Selkirk have avoided this mistake.

#25 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Wow I can't believe that this thread has been dead for over a year.

Anyways was over in Vic West yesterday and noticed that the sign at Railyards says that there are new lofts common to the site with the address of 787 Tyee.

Is this just an old sign referring to the building that is already there or a new sign?

This must be referring to the next phase of the development? The Gateway is at 797 Tyee road, so 787 should represent a new phase.

#26 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

I liked the development right from the start because of its design, its modest scale and its so far good site planning. ... Nonetheless, what is there is a human, interesting neighbourhood in a spectacular location that seems to have been enhanced by what has been done so far. Selkirk Water(s?) is one of the nicest spots in Victoria in spite of the noisy scrapyard.

I agree with everything you've said here. I think the Railyards is very nice, and quite well planned. We really thought seriously about buying there. My only complaint is with the developer's over-optimism about the commercial units. I love the idea of homes over shops and near shops, but these communities are small, so they need to draw from the surroundings. Yet they are turned in on themselves, and don't interact with the rest of the city, so they can't draw customers or foot traffic from other neighbourhoods. I find that somewhat unfortunate.

Dockside Green might be an exception. They seem to be orienting their buildings along Tyee, and I hope that creates a real street life. (though it doesn't help that the mall is turned in on itself.)

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

That Save-On Foods plaza could have been soooo much better.

#28 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Per an article in today's T-C, the next phase of the Railyards will contain 26 units priced at less than $300,000. Construction will start this summer.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

What type of units?

#30 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Given the price point, these will likely be small condo units in a wood-framed building.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

The Railyards website lists "Bonds Landing" as the 5th phase of the project (4th phase has apparently sold out) with anticipated completion in Summer 2010. The 26 units are set to start in the "mid $200,000's."

The pricing might be high considering The 834 started below $200,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Signage is going up for the new phase at Railyards. They've been working on it for several days now (new hoarding and such).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 BlasterVic

BlasterVic
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:50 PM

I love the Railyards, almost bought the last unit at 797 but was beaten too it. A very well planned development in my opinion. But I am biased, known Chris LeFevre for years from Hornby Island and the homes he built there were amazing so I'm not surprised. I think he's a mastermind and has done the Railyards project better than other developers would have.

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:38 AM

I maligned this project unfairly way back when it started. But it's actually very good and also very good for its location.

#35 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

A lot of people I know absolutely hate the railyards due to its architecture. Then again these same people think the Songhees looks fine and "fits victoria". Bah.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#36 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

A lot of people I know absolutely hate the railyards due to its architecture. Then again these same people think the Songhees looks fine and "fits victoria". Bah.

And quite frankly anyone who thinks the Songhee's looks remotely fine, with the exception of the modern buildings, Bayview and Shutters outta be the first in line for the firing squad. For such a high profile location the Songhee's out to be a major embarrassment to anyone in the development world and anyone who has the least bit of taste in varying degrees and forms of architecture. If someone will pick up a nice big D9 Cat, I'll be the first behind the levers to start demo Songhee's, and gladly building out another version of Railyards anyday. Songhee's should be highrises,, architecture reflective of West Coast influences, with glass, concrete and timber accents, not nasty late 80's early 90's stucco, that remind me of my youth and a night out on the town, ending in the gutter on the side of the road. - Railyards itself is a yet another brilliant concept by Chris Lefreve and Co. My only complaint is that further phases of the project should be thought with more density and LEED standards to compete and at the same time complete Dockside Green, lets not kid ourselves, unless we're talking Green, red brick, half this city is going to complain, start using the corrugated look, the industrial/residential look, that has transformed so many derelict neighborhoods across North America into bustling areas of life, but here we complain *rolls eyes* yeesh is all i have to say that won't get censored.

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

For the most part I like the look of the Railyards from the industrial design to the brighter, more vibrant colors used. If it can continue to grow with more local amenities within short walking distance (I like Tuscany Village for this) then I think it will end up being a good development.

Would I live there? Probably not, I like some privacy and space as well as a double-wide garage for hobbies and vehicle storage/work. It's too much like living in a domino.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#38 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

And quite frankly anyone who thinks the Songhee's looks remotely fine, with the exception of the modern buildings, Bayview and Shutters outta be the first in line for the firing squad. For such a high profile location the Songhee's out to be a major embarrassment to anyone in the development world and anyone who has the least bit of taste in varying degrees and forms of architecture. If someone will pick up a nice big D9 Cat, I'll be the first behind the levers to start demo Songhee's, and gladly building out another version of Railyards anyday. Songhee's should be highrises,, architecture reflective of West Coast influences, with glass, concrete and timber accents, not nasty late 80's early 90's stucco, that remind me of my youth and a night out on the town, ending in the gutter on the side of the road. - Railyards itself is a yet another brilliant concept by Chris Lefreve and Co. My only complaint is that further phases of the project should be thought with more density and LEED standards to compete and at the same time complete Dockside Green, lets not kid ourselves, unless we're talking Green, red brick, half this city is going to complain, start using the corrugated look, the industrial/residential look, that has transformed so many derelict neighborhoods across North America into bustling areas of life, but here we complain *rolls eyes* yeesh is all i have to say that won't get censored.

So true.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#39 S_B_Russell

S_B_Russell
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

I'm not crazy about the wood construction in the Railyards, but overall I think it's a pretty sharp looking development. I particularly like the townhouses. Much better looking than Shutters which is straight out of Miami.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Much better looking than Shutters which is straight out of Miami.

You are entitled to your opinion, but Shutters is far and away the best thing on the Songhees -- and some people actually the architecture in Miami.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users