26 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

From the municipal Greens facebook group

My friends and fellow citizens,
After much consideration, I’m happy to announce that I’ve decided to put my name on the ballot for a seat on Victoria’s city council. After missing the mark by a mere 118 votes in 2005, I know that there has long been a desire to see a different kind of politics in this city, and a need for real and effective local leadership.
Despite the low voter turn-out of our past few municipal elections, we are not a passive people when it comes to improving the world that we all share. Many of us are actively engaged in creating progressive social change, whether it’s rallying for peace in Iraq or for affordable housing; to save Clayoquot Sound and the Great Bear Rainforest; or to increase our local park space or harm reduction services, this city is filled with bright folks using creative ways to solve social issues throughout the world, and to ensure that Victoria can be a welcoming home for people of all cultures, backgrounds, and income levels.
Although Victoria is the home of many leading voices on social justice issues, the make-up of our municipal government has failed to reflect the compassionate values and progressive ideas of our local citizens for far too long. The 2005 campaign saw a brief crack in the status quo with the election of my co-candidate Sonya Chandler, a nurse with the Victoria Youth Clinic and without a doubt the most forward thinking voice on our city council, it quickly became clear that she needs help at City Hall if we hope to see Victoria reach its full potential.
With this in mind I’m now asking all you who work so hard every day to make our entire world a better place to re-direct your energy and creativity towards the municipal region for the next few months by volunteering with our campaign. From mid-September until our local elections on November 15th, I’m asking you to support better approaches to homelessness and affordable housing; to work towards more evidence-based strategies for substance use and harm reduction; to demand increased democracy and public consultation in our region; to ensure sustainable development policies and good value for money on sewage treatment; and to rally behind better public transportation and increased investment into bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.
In other words, I’m asking you to take everything that you’ve learned through your own community involvement, activism, and advocacy, and to contribute whatever you can – time, energy, ideas, funding and resources — to ensure that your city finally represents your hopes and values. For eight weeks, let’s work together to change the way that we do politics in this town; let’s take back city council; let’s finally reach our full community potential. Let’s get involved!
Please join Sonya and I on August 24th, 1-3pm at 1104 Topaz Ave. for our first volunteer meeting/brainstorming; drinks and snacks will be provided so RSVPs are appreciated. If you can’t make it, contact me at 250-884-9821, or at plucas@uvic.ca to find out how you can help.
Many thanks,
Philippe Lucas
Candidate for Victoria City Council

#2 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

This guy is truly dedicated and works tirelessly for the issues he believes in. Anyone with this proven determination will get my vote.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

I find it hard to trust anyone who spends that much time telling us that everyone but he and his friend are the enemy.

How can he suggest that Sonya Chandler is a leader in social issues when she's standing next to Charlayne Thornton-Joe and Helen Hughes?

Sorry but with that short speech he just made himself look like a typical slimy politician, manipulating the distrust of the public to further his career. If he'd given credit where credit is due, I'd be interested in what contribution he's got to make. But instead he wasted his acceptance speech pissing on the people who have worked the hardest toward the goals he claims to support.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Yes, Caramia, I thought that was a terrible comment for Lucas to make. It's a slap in the face to those Councillors who fought long and hard to find solutions to the homeless problem in spite of often hostile public opposition.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

This guy is truly dedicated and works tirelessly for the issues he believes in. Anyone with this proven determination will get my vote.

I agree. But what does he work tirelessly towards? Pressing different levels of government for money?

#6 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

I find it hard to trust anyone who spends that much time telling us that everyone but he and his friend are the enemy.

How can he suggest that Sonya Chandler is a leader in social issues when she's standing next to Charlayne Thornton-Joe and Helen Hughes?

Sorry but with that short speech he just made himself look like a typical slimy politician, manipulating the distrust of the public to further his career. If he'd given credit where credit is due, I'd be interested in what contribution he's got to make. But instead he wasted his acceptance speech pissing on the people who have worked the hardest toward the goals he claims to support.

Ouch, that's unfortunate.. i missed the speech. Sounds like he goofed up. I have admired his work in regards to harm reduction awareness, decriminalization of drugs and running the compassion society. But then again i do understand that these are a just a few of the many issues he would face as a counsillor.

#7 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

All of those things are great causes that I support. But I want more cooperating and less partisanship in City Hall.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

Isn't it ironic that some of the youngest politicians are guilty of yesterday's old-style partisanship.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

He has a website: http://philippelucas.vicgreens.com/

#10 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

The 2005 campaign saw a brief crack in the status quo with the election of my co-candidate Sonya Chandler, a nurse with the Victoria Youth Clinic and without a doubt the most forward thinking voice on our city council, it quickly became clear that she needs help at City Hall if we hope to see Victoria reach its full potential.
Many thanks,
Philippe Lucas
Candidate for Victoria City Council

I'm sorry, but unfortunately Sonya Chandler was way over her head on council this past term. She was the least prepared, informed and involved councillor of the bunch. She was indecisive, confused and often deferred to Pam Madoff instead of standing on her own two feet and making a decision. She made a several statements which were just bizarre and contradictory of a green agenda.

I like to think of myself as a very green person (although not aligned with any party), and Sonya has been a disappointment. I have never owned a car (don't even know how to drive!), biking everyday to work, walking to the grocery stores, taking the bus on longer trips with my family of four. I have always lived near the city centre and not in the sprawling suburbs. Hopefully I'll be able to find several candidates whom I can support; however, Sonya will not be one, but perhaps Mr. Lucas.

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

I've voted green in a few elections and it took me quite a while to learn that she had the nerve to lable her self such ( I certainly could tell by her actions, thought she was just some selfish pregnant clueless yuppie at the time, thought she represented the suburban soccer-mom crowd)

I don't care how she sells her self, she's just another "raise the drawbridge, I got mine!" sorts (or at least that's how her actions have seemed). The sad thing is, she votes against her claimed agenda not due to some political trickery or hidden agenda, but due to incompetence, ignorance and cowardliness. I haven't always felt so harshly about her, I held out hope for quite some time that she'd take more than a few seconds to form a confused "gut" opinion on issues or simply defer to Pam, but after an entire term she's seemingly become worse. I hope she gets tossed.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#12 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

I'm sorry to hear that the green party is facing so much controversy in this election. I have absolutely nil experience with Philippe Lucas, but personally speaking I can say that Sonya Chandler has been more involved in the events and functions I've attended then many other councilors (Bea Holland, Geoff Young, and even Thorton-Joe). I say this as someone who often finds myself at odds with her decisions, but I believe she has a fairly clear agenda and I appreciate her ability to speak and act as an individual while still meeting the needs of the Green party. Plus, she was one of too few members of council to vote against closing eateries late at night, which would be a disasterous decision for our local businesses and possibly our longterm safety/security downtown.

#13 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

Today a story on A Channel concerned Phillipe Lucas sanctioning a free needle exchange over the weekend at Pandora and Quadra near St Andrew's school and businesses. City workers, parents of schoolkids and others were on camera saying they are upset over all the human waste and discarded needles left behind. Dean Fortin was on camera (at 5 and 6pm) saying that while he endorsed Philippe, he is looking forward to having a conversation with him. Lucas refused to appear on camera but it was reported that he supports such action to bring attention to the issue. It will probably be replayed on the 11pm news again tonight.

Also, in another vein, Sid Tafler (Monday Mag) wrote last week: "Meanwhile, the Green candidates also benefitted from outside support, sharing office space as well as brochure printing and mailing costs with taxpaper-subsidized federal candidate Adam Saab — expenses I’m sure election officials at both levels will review carefully once they’re all submitted." Someone on a blog, in referring to Sid's story, used the word funneling in regards to federal and provinicial election regulations - but I've never heard that word before. Maybe someone can illuminate what it means?

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

Funnelling means money gets to a candidate through a third party, like an organization or political party. Municipal rules are very clear on this now. Donations must go directly to the candidate's financial agent, no middlemen. No group can raise money on your behalf. Every nickel must be accounted for, including donations in kind (like donated advertising space or food at your fundraiser).

I saw one Green brochure that had Provincial candidate info on one side and Phillipe/Sonya info on the other.

I refrain from implying that funnelling is going on here but there will be some complicated expenses to untangle especially since there are so many shared expenses with the other parties that receive taxpayer money.

#15 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

I saw one Green brochure that had Provincial candidate info on one side and Phillipe/Sonya info on the other.

Thx. Also I think it was the Green's federal candidate, Adam Saab, as opposed to provincial.
But so many elections lately, its hard to keep track.

#16 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thx. Also I think it was the Green's federal candidate, Adam Saab, as opposed to provincial.
But so many elections lately, its hard to keep track.

It was in fact the federal candidate, Adam Saab. I worked a bit on his campaign.

Just to make it confusing, the Green Party office is usually paid for by the provincial party. During the federal election it was moved downstairs to the street and paid for by Adams campaign. After which it was taken over by the municipal candidates and paid for by them. I should note that only the Victoria candidates paid into it, I did not and did not use the resources there.

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

I think we need to give the green party the benefit of the doubt - and Phillipe Lucas too. Like Rob Randall, I wouldn't want to start implying that money was funneled. After all, it is possible that the provincial party was recomensed in whatever way is appropriate. Besides, sharing resources cuts down on resources used - in itself a "green" measure.

Regarding the needle exchange - Phillipe's pro-harm reduction activism wasn't exactly a secret before the election. Partisan politics played WAY too much of a role in this election, I totally agree. However, I don't think it is was Dean's endorsement that got Phillipe elected. I think there is enough of a pro-harrm reduction element in Victoria's voters to get him the seat. And now he is doing what he said he would - pushing the issue. If he isn't falling in line with Dean's more moderate approach, that's probably a good thing. Independent thought on council is valuable.

#18 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Besides, sharing resources cuts down on resources used - in itself a "green" measure.

I think there is enough of a pro-harrm reduction element in Victoria's voters to get him the seat. And now he is doing what he said he would - pushing the issue. If he isn't falling in line with Dean's more moderate approach, that's probably a good thing. Independent thought on council is valuable.

For the record, I am also not implying that anything is amis. Simply posted info being openly discussed in the press that funding for all civic candidates, including me, will be scrutinized in accordance with BC Elections rules. But as for sharing/recyling resources to be "green" between fed/prov/municipal candidates - well, thats actually not allowed.

Re the "no-go zone" needle exchange. It was in contravention of an agreement made between the neighbours and the City - and I will go on record as saying that I was actually turned off by it. But then again, I hold a very differing view about how best to address harm reduction.

#19 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

For the record, I am also not implying that anything is amis. Simply posted info being openly discussed in the press that funding for all civic candidates, including me, will be scrutinized in accordance with BC Elections rules. But as for sharing/recyling resources to be "green" between fed/prov/municipal candidates - well, thats actually not allowed.

Well, actually, the rules are quite a bit looser for the municipal politicians. As for exact financial details, both the federal and muncipal stuff will be available in the coming months.

#20 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Yes, we all got our financial disclosure packages in the mail this week - and I think they need to be filed before the end of March 09.

I have just heard that the BC Election rules are very stringent, and differ from the fed & prov as already mentioned by Rob. But as a newcomer to this process as well - I am sure I will learn more as I go.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users