24 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

http://www.magnoliah...oriadining.html

Prime Time Is Coming!

In January 2009, the all-new Prime Steakhouse will be opening at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa. Located just off the lobby our new restaurant will be featuring an inspiring décor and a tempting menu of grilled fare and much more for lunch and dinner.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

It is funny that they didn't think to put a steakhouse there before!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

It is funny that they didn't think to put a steakhouse there before!

You funny man. :D

#4 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Any closer to opening? I've heard they have installed a dry-aging room for their prime cuts of steak.

#5 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

Has anyone eaten here yet? I'm looking for a nice, quiet place to celebrate a wedding anniversary next week...

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

Has anyone eaten here yet? I'm looking for a nice, quiet place to celebrate a wedding anniversary next week...

Yup, been a couple times, class place, good food, you do get what you pay for, thankfully, as it's not inexpensive. Upstairs is quieter than the bar area...

#7 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

I've been wanting to try this place out. Good to hear that it's worth the money as the prices are up there a bit.

#8 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

Had the pleasure of lunch there on Monday. Steak sandwich was excellent, service perfect and it has a nice decor.

For a lunch menu in the $14-20 entree range the food is well worth it.

#9 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. We decided to celebrate early and went yesterday but they must have been having an off night. The service was excellent and so was my baseball sirloin. My wife and I were not impressed with the dry lobster in her surf 'n turf special though and both our starches - her garlic mash and my risotto - were poorly executed. We regretted our wine choice as well, both thinking it sure didn't taste like the Shiraz we had ordered, but impossible to prove as it was a carafe, and the fly we found floating in it at the end was the kicker. We tried the Harbour House earlier this year and although it seems aimed at an older crowd, the food was much better there.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Had dinner here this evening.
The steak was good and the sides were very good too. The service was pleasant and the prices were a bit pricey, but much within the realm of what someone might expect in a steakhouse.

One complaint though. Please don't segregate us because we have kids.
We were placed in an inferior drafty section that one would call the foyer of the restaurant. My wife pointed out that every other table had kids in this section. When I went to the washroom, I noticed that there were no kids in the other sections - all of which were much cozier and more comfortable.
My wife and I from day one have worked very hard to teach our kid how to behave in a restaurant. I don't appreciate being judged or tagged before we've even sat down.
I know kids can be loud and misbehave, but it's been my experience that there are just as many loud, emotional, and disruptive adults as there are kids.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

If the operators have a policy of moving patrons with children to a certain part of the restaurant the least they should do is make the environment as comfortable as possible.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

Merely "good" and "pleasant," but "pricey" and simultaneously prejudicial treatment through seating in an "inferior" and "drafty" section would ensure that I'd never ever go back there, with our without kids.

That place would get a big thumbs down, in my books.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

I don't think asking a family with rambunctious kids to move to another table after they've settled in and received their fare would be any more pleasant than seating them in a family area. The latter isn't even that bad of a policy but where I would draw the line is being forced to sit in an area where the atmosphere is hampered by drafts or lots of traffic.

Heck, last night I was ID'd at a decent restaurant. I'm in my late 20's and look the part. In fact the last time I was ID'd was at a roadblock. Anyhow, the reason why the waitress asked for ID wasn't to ensure I was of age, but to remember my name in the event I ran off without paying. I was dressed in threads suitable for a hockey game and that was a red flag that singled us out (other patrons that looked younger than us came and went without once showing their ID). Luckily we weren't asked to sit at a table furthest from the door ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

For a good steak in this town I'd recommend Rick's Grill on Government; it's part of the RG chain (out of Calgary) I believe; I've eaten at both the one here and in Cowtown, where it is certainly a very, very popular choice. Victoria isn't exactly at the center of the "steak universe" but RG is pretty good. Been there several times, with and without the 11 year old, and it never makes a difference in terms of seating; more often than not we actually get a table up front, window-side overlooking Government Street.

Oddly enough one of the very best beef brisket/beef dip sandwiches (with Kobe Beef and fantastic house horseradish) I've ever had anywhere was in the Orange Country, aka John Wayne Airport, near Anaheim. Who knew?

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Prime voted on of Canada's best new restaurants of 2010.

Located in the heart of downtown, the sophisticated, contemporary restaurant tempts diners with a menu to suit just about every palate. Start with a Caesar salad, flavourful with garlic and Parmesan, or the hearty baked potato soup, before considering the delicious possibilities that await with six cuts of aged beef and the selection of lamb, fresh seafood, poultry and pasta.

http://www.where.ca/...urants-of-2010/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Prime voted on of Canada's best new restaurants of 2010.

http://www.where.ca/...urants-of-2010/

I like Prime, don't get me wrong. But awards like this are generally only available to advertisers in the publication that sponsors them.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Downtown steakhouse Prime closes its doors

http://www.timescolo...s-doors-1.43789

The 84-seat Prime Steakhouse Restaurant and Lounge in the Magnolia Hotel and Spa in downtown Victoria closed Sunday.

On Monday, the restaurant’s president was fined $8,000 for not filing multiple tax returns on time.

Philip LeSeur pleaded guilty in Victoria provincial court for failing to file corporate income tax returns and financial information for Victoria Prime Steakhouse Ltd., 0770003 B.C. Ltd., Bear Mountain Village Market Ltd., Nirvana Land Development Ltd., and 0665821 B.C. Ltd., Canada Revenue Agency said in a statement Wednesday. All businesses failed to file corporate returns for the 2008 and 2009 taxation years.

In addition, Nirvana Land Development Ltd. and 0665821 B.C. Ltd., also failed to file returns for 2007 and 0770003 B.C. Ltd. failed to file returns for 2006 and 2007.

Didn't know LeSeur was part of this.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Knew this was coming when I walked by on Jan. 2 and sign on the door said "closed fir a much needed rest". Is this now Victoria code for "out of business"?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

So it's all unraveling now, I guess. Zoe has pointed out that Len Barrie, who is an associate of Leseur's, has his trial pending.

Know it all.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

A partnership including the owners of Ferris's Oyster Bar have bought this space and will open a Mediterranean-style (Spanish/Italian) restaurant April 1. It will feature an upper outdoor patio space which the previous tenants never used.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users