Photo

[James Bay] The Breakwater | Townhomes| Built - completed in February 2008

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Townhouses @ 50 Dallas Rd in James Bay (on the old Immigration Hall site)

The website is - http://www.thebreakwater.ca

The developer is [url=http://www.threepointproperties.com:7b03b]Three Point Properties[/url:7b03b]

#2 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

This is what it looked like on Saturday, October 14th, 2006

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

Thank God they're gonna preserve that Stalingrad wall.

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

Man it's a shame that the reef wasn't the height of the original proposal. The JBNEA really squashed that thing down. IT could have been such a icon for that block.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

what a boring ugly 2 story box...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hmm. No info on the website. Does anyone know if they are selling pre-construction?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

Three Point has some serious financial backing so they may very well be building, then selling. Pre-sales often result in less profit but provide enough financial risk-mitigation to encourage support from banks.

Expect prices at around $800,000 a piece :shock:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

$800K sounds like a lot, but when you look at the two level townhomes at Richmond Gate selling for $639K and they are nowhere near the ocean, it sounds about right.

I remember as a kid townhomes were the lower cost alternative for families who couldn't afford a house...and now it seems they are only affordable to the rich.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Isn't that strange? It was the same with condos -- the poor man's route to home ownership.

Now condo/townhome living is the chic and cool thing to do and suburbanites are lambasted for their 5,000 sq ft residences.

That's it, I'm putting a mattress in my truck and hanging a tarp off the side. Anybody have some plastic lawn furnitute I could borrow? I promise to buy you a new set when my dig surpasses $300k in value 8)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

what a boring ugly 2 story box...

I don't know. As far as 2 story buildings go, I think this one's quite nice.

#11 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

For what they are, I think they look nice, at least judging by the rendering.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

Just not enough variety in the design, in my opinion. Same thing for the Shamrock Motel project. They're nice, but they're not really nice.

I'm thinking a modern glass third floor (or half floor) would have been good on this one.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

Taken today:

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks gumgum! I haven't been passed there in a while, actually. Now what I find interesting is the original owner of that land was Vicky Husband, a well-know environmentalist.

...so it's too bad it's a townhome development instead of a more enviro-friendly higher-density development. I'm just saying...

Know it all.

#15 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for all the pics gumgum. The angle you took these photos from makes these townhouses look completely out of place. They look like they belong in Langford. What a waste of a prime location. This property should have had higher density already in place considering what used to occupy the lot in the past. A perfect example of poor planning.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#16 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

A quick scan of the MLS website reveals a price range between $819,000 and $899,000 for the townhomes in this development.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

No need to rush. There are enough units for all of us.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

During the public hearing for The Falls, one individual stated that the average unit price for the Breakwater, which previously received unanimous support by council, would be $850,000. He did this because he questioned the position of councillors who earlier claimed that the Falls would be unaffordable for all but a privileged few (no doubt only Californians or oil-rich Albertans, right?).

Councillor Madoff, who praised the Breakwater, questioned the validity of the price remark during the Falls hearing.

Althewhile councillors blessed the positive impacts of developments such as Breakwater. Furthermore, the JBNEA, the local community organization, claimed that this was the sort of development that made sense for the community because high-density projects push out lower-income residents.

Apparently a $400,000 condo is a rip-off and a drain on our poor but a $850,000 townhome supports both low-income families and is a good deal to boot.

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

That ****ing wall is ridiculous.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

Derf, even I know a $900,000 ground floor unit in an uninteresting little building isn't anywhere near as "expensive" or "luxurious" as a $450,000 unit on the 12th floor.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users