Victoria Highlanders FC | USL Premier Development League

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

Head coach announcement and more coming this Wednesday at a press conference out at Bear Mountain.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

2010 schedule announced.

http://www.timescolo...1973/story.html

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

New coach announced - Ian Bridge.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ian_Bridge

http://www.canadasoc..._Bridge_www.jpg

#4 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

In a somewhat related note. The Vancouver Whitecaps will be playing a preseason game against Uvic on Saturday March 20.

#5 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

The Highlanders kick off the season on Saturday at Bear Mountain Stadium at 7pm. Their opponents will be the Vancouver Whitecaps Reserves, who's keeper Simon Thomas is a Victoria Native.

If you don't already know the Bard and Banker run a game day bus service from downtown. On match days you can go there before the match and for $20 you get a burger, a pint & a bus ticket to and from the match. Its a great deal and a good time. Bus leaves 1h prior to kickoff, so people normally start showing up two hours before kickoff.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

The Highlanders kick off the season on Saturday at Bear Mountain Stadium at 7pm. Their opponents will be the Vancouver Whitecaps Reserves, who's keeper Simon Thomas is a Victoria Native.

If you don't already know the Bard and Banker run a game day bus service from downtown. On match days you can go there before the match and for $20 you get a burger, a pint & a bus ticket to and from the match. Its a great deal and a good time. Bus leaves 1h prior to kickoff, so people normally start showing up two hours before kickoff.

Hmm, I did not know that! That could make the difference for me!

#7 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:04 AM

Oh wow, that does sound like a good deal. I'm going to look into that.

#8 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

It is a great deal, as a Burger and Pint at the B&B normally costs more than $20. The Bard and Banker also reserve space for people on the bus after the match. So after you get back into the city you don't have to wait in line and can mingle with players, staff and ownership.

Hello xxxxx,

The Bard and Banker bus WILL be running for all 10 matches this season. It will also be running early on the home opener (May 8th) to ensure you get there early to see the McGillicuddys band perform. I would like to introduce you to Matthew Orr, who will be coordinating the bus each week and taking the list of names. He can help you with any questions/suggestions you may have regarding transportation and the Bard & Banker.

See you at the game on Saturday!

Julie

So this Saturday only the bus will leave the Bard and Banker 90 minutes before kickoff (5:30) not its 60 minutes before.

#9 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

The shuttle is fantastic! A bunch of us gather at the pub, have some beers and we travel to the game without worrying about parking.

Ted - Lake Side Buoys

#10 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

Match tomorrow against the Abbottsford Mariners. The Highlanders now have three wins in as many games, and the mariners are still winless so they should be able to pick up the three points.

Match Time: 7pm @ City Centre Stadium in Langford
Bard and Banker Shuttle Leaves at 6pm

#11 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Also we have some new players available for he first time this season.

Details.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

The Highlanders announced today that the team will play a home-and-home set of friendlies in August against NASL-bound Edmonton FC:

http://victoriahighl....php?newsid=185
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

Highlanders to host Edmonton pro team in 'litmus test'

Victoria team sets sights on NASL

By Cleve Dheensaw, Times Colonist July 28, 2010 1:06 AM

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0uyZGNs1V
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

I confirmed with the club that YES the shuttle will be running from the Bard & Banker. The most entertaining way to travel to the game for only $5 return! Leaves @ 5:00 pm as kick-off is @ 6:00 pm.

Lake Side Buoys will be having a pre-match pint @ The Garrick's Head around 4:00 pm.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Victoria Highlanders soccer team eyes higher level
By Paul Seal, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=3908

The Victoria Highlanders play the first leg of a home-and-home friendly series this Sunday, August 8th, at Bear Mountain Stadium in Langford. The opponent is Edmonton FC, a team scheduled to make a step up into the new NASL pro tier of North American soccer next season.

Highlanders general manager Drew Finerty considers this game as a bit of a bellwether to determine community support for a possible bid by the Highlanders to move to a higher level themselves. Currently, the Highlanders play in what is called the Professional Development League (PDL), a step below the USL (and coming NASL) tier, which in turn is one step behind the top North American league, Major League Soccer (MLS). The Vancouver Whitecaps recently announced their coming move from the USL into the MLS in conjunction with the renovations to BC Place stadium currently underway. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

There is a shuttle leaving the Garrick's Head today at 5pm for those that want to have beer before the game downtown...

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

Highlanders aim to challenge the pros

By Cleve Dheensaw, Times Colonist August 8, 2010

After seven seasons in the pros, two with the Toronto Lynx and five in Sweden with Osters IF, Tyler Hughes of the Victoria Highlanders knows what to expect today when the USL-Premier Development League amateur side meets the professional Edmonton FC of the new North American Soccer League.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0w2SgoBo9

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

Highlanders boost case for pro soccer in Victoria with draw against Edmonton FC

By Cleve Dheensaw, timescolonist.com August 8, 2010

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0w7jsZzd9

Well, they did not have quite the crowd they had hoped for, but in fairness, there was also a Shamrocks game out in Wescom, and a Seals double-header in town to compete with.

#19 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

... and on a Sunday, weeks after the season ended for a game not included in the season ticket package. The exhibition games (three total) this season have drawn far less than competitive games. Victoria fans seem to prefer a game that means something and a not-yet-NASL team in a friendly just doesn't cut the mustard I guess.

I enjoyed the game, well the second half anyway.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

Highlanders moving downtown

By Sharie Epp, Times Colonist April 1, 2011

The Victoria Highlanders are moving out of Langford and into Victoria. At a press conference on Thursday, the Highanders announced the men's team, which plays in the United Soccer League's Premier Development League, would move from City Centre Park and take up residence at Royal Athletic Park this July.

The demise of the Victoria Seals baseball team left RAP without a major tenant, and the city of Victoria has tried to accommodate the needs of the soccer team, he said. The baseball diamond will be replaced, and the field returned to soccer condition.

Issues, such as revenue from concessions, which both the Seals and Rebels cited as reasons for leaving town, have apparently been resolved.

"Drew had discussions with the city and they made accommodations they should have made in the past," team owner Alex Campbell said.

Don't get me wrong here, there is a lot of stuff we don't know, but it might have been nice if the City went out of its way to make it comfortable for a team that played 44 home dates (the Seals), rather than one that will only play 9. Also note that Drew Finerty (Highlanders GM) was with the Rebels when they left RAP. So maybe he is just dealing with a new person there.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1IHhsgruM

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users