Photo

The Pink Bicycle | Victoria | 1008 Blanshard

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

I just finished my burger about 30 minutes ago and I will give the burger a 5/10 with much room for improvement. http://www.pinkbicycleburger.com.

I want a burger joint in town (like the Red Onion at 41st and Kerrisdale in Vancouver) that I can say "hey, let's go for a burger and we will already know where." Sadly this place isn't it for it, yet.

A decent burger is subjective but my thoughts are:

I had the classic burger with cheddar cheese on a Bond Bond's burger bun (nice) at $12 with salad (they do have Kennebec fries and my partner had those.) The first thing I asked was how is the burger cooked and they said on a griddle. I was concerned at that point. I much prefer charbroiled or at least in a pan. The burger was somewhat dry for my liking and cooking it on a griddle is not cool with me as it really lacked taste. The fries were not Red Fish Blue Fish Kennebec quality fries but perhaps they will improve. The slice of cheddar was paper thin and could hardly taste it. The salad was awesome.

Has anyone been to Monsoon (maybe closed now) in Vancouver in SOMA? Do you remember they did a masala banana ketchup that was to die for? I would love to see the owners of this so called "gourmet burger joint" be innovative like that instead of plunking down the old plastic bottle of Heinz?

Last critique; they are using Island Farms Ice Cream on their in-house baked pies when they could use a "high quality" ice cream like the Udder Guys in Cowichan Bay and no I did not have dessert.

#2 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

I had the chicken burger yesterday. Tried to get in around 1pm and there was a line up. Clearly, they're on to something. Came back at 3, and there were a lot of tables.
The sesame bun from Bond Bonds is very good and holds the ingredients well. Good portion of chicken on the burger but my only critique would be to saute the accompanying leeks instead of caramelizing them - not a great flavour.
Does using a griddle really make that much of a difference? My favourite burger is from Fairfield Fish and Chips and I'm sure they use one.
I like the people running Pink Bicycle and I hope they do well. I'm going to check the poutine and the lamb burger next go round. Kudos to them for serving Phillips beer.
I've got high hopes for these guys. I bet they'll be swamped on Saturdays.

#3 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Just to clarify after reading my original post I put the word nice in brackets and that was simply for the bun being from Bond Bonds. It had absolutely no reflection on the burger.

I will probably not go back to the Pink Bicycle — I thought it was just okay. Don't know why I needed to clarify that.

#4 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

Saturday last week they were closed as they had run out of burgers. !?!?

I tried the lamb burger this week. Onion Rings were tasty but I felt the patty was over-seasoned and that the bun was too chewy for a burger. Two burgers, two orders of onion rings cost me over $30. They were good burgers but not great and definitely not worth the money.

#5 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Saturday last week they were closed as they had run out of burgers. !?!?

The two "chefs" upstairs can't order enough food to keep up with demand so they close their doors? That's crazy! Is pulling a tactic like that supposed to impress us, as in wow! you guys must be so popular? And re-reading my previous love post, and then revisiting the restaurant for another go round, I retract my comments.
I went for soup and sent it back because a) is was the consistency of mashed potatoes, and 2) it was tepid with a blob of ice cold herbed goat cheese of top.
Next up: an $8.00 caesar salad was so minimal in portion I had to inquire. Turns out they had run out of romaine lettuce, so I got the what was left. If I hadn't of asked, I would have been charged full price.
Next: fries with gravy. The fries came to the table so pre-salted, they burned in the inside of my mouth. Tried the gravy to counterbalance but no go.
Left them on my plate and paid my bill. Kudos to the waitress who really tried to be accommodating, but I won't be back. These "chefs" don't know what they are doing. And I won't part with another dime to fund their ineptitude.

#6 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:52 AM

I walk past this place fairly regularly and I always make a point of checking it out to see how many people are in there. It's usually empty, with maybe one or two people in there around lunch time. I've never seen it busy.

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

for a place with only ~25 seats it was actually kind of busy when I went on Monday

#8 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

We ate there yesterday and were impressed, not only with a menu that leaned steeply towards local but with the great food too. My burger was juicy and the onion rings were definitely worth a trip for. Our kids had the soup of the day and loved it. One of our kids had two bowls!

#9 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Review in Monday Magazine: http://mondaymag.com...the-new-burger/

Re: The mutton burger

Unfortunately, we were told they didn’t have it, or the lamb. To be fair, the menu indicates that this item is not always available; however, the fact that 10 minutes later another table ordered it successfully made me feel a little left out.

#10 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Overrated. Any place that has been open for a few short months and has the audacity to purport that they have "the best burger in town" is either deluded or pompous - or both. I thought the mutton burger was average and overpriced.

Oh and P.S. to the owners/chefs: "the best burger in town" is something someone else says about you - you don't go around saying that yourself.

#11 Barney

Barney
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

I had lunch there a couple of weeks ago. The place was packed - we had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. Had the chicken burger and it was great! Also a really good vibe from the staff and the diners coming and going. Have already recommended it to a couple of people.

#12 homebrewer

homebrewer
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

I was impressed overall. Ever since they got the high praise in the TC it has been difficult to get a seat. The buns from next door were super fresh, and I really enjoyed my burger. The price point is higher for a burger, but you're getting above average quality as well.

#13 Vic life

Vic life
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:46 PM

I dont know. I thought the quality and price where fair considering the great products they use and the place is just damn cool. It reminds me of something you would stumble upon on vacation to Seattle or such. Non descript and a hidden gem. As for the food. I search out real burgers and this was a welcome surprise! Better than I could ever make at home and I thought that was the last vestige of burger making! All in all. TASTY AS HECK!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users