Rock Bay Bottle Depot

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

That's a tough slog for the downtown homeless, better tune up the shopping cart before they head out.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

http://www.bottledep...ot-victoria.htm

http://www.recycling...tle_depots.aspx

#3 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

That's a tough slog for the downtown homeless, better tune up the shopping cart before they head out.

I believe that the Glanford Avenue Bottle Depot is replacing the one on Burnside/Jutland, and not the one on View/Vancouver, so I'm not sure the downtown homeless have anything to worry about quite yet.

That being said, any word on when/whether the city renewed the View/Vancouver Bottle Depot business license?

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

I believe that the Glanford Avenue Bottle Depot is replacing the one on Burnside/Jutland, and not the one on View/Vancouver, so I'm not sure the downtown homeless have anything to worry about quite yet.

That being said, any word on when/whether the city renewed the View/Vancouver Bottle Depot business license?

I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I do note that the owner of this new one IS the owner of the downtown one, and he indicates he HAS BOUGHT the premises.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

The bottle depot at Burnside and Jutland is the one that is closed and has a big sign sending you out to the nice new one on Glanford.

Meanwhile the building on Burnside is being completely rebuild. 23 low income housing units on top of street front retail.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

^ It in no way will have street front retail. It will have parking front retail.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

^ It in no way will have street front retail. It will have parking front retail.

That is what I meant

#8 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

I do not like this development because it further entrenches the bottle deposit system.

It would be better for people to simply put their bottles out by the curb for collection along with their other recyclables.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

I do not like this development because it further entrenches the bottle deposit system.

It would be better for people to simply put their bottles out by the curb for collection along with their other recyclables.

I agree. We should have moved on by now to the point where we do not need the monetary incentive to recycle.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:44 AM

I was there yesterday. It's clean, bright and spacious--everything the other miserable bottle depots aren't.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:45 AM

Has View St. closed now?

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

It was not closed last week when I drove by.

#13 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

I agree. We should have moved on by now to the point where we do not need the monetary incentive to recycle.

It would certainly curb scavanging (or binning, which I believe is the PC term for it, now) in CRD Blue Boxes. One could make the assumption that anyone binning at that point is interested only in ID theft.

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

Bottle drives are still important fundraisers for various youth groups, $800 to $2000 is what can be expected for a one day bottle drive.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:00 AM

Great, now the City has to spend some of our money on a lawsuit: :(

http://www.timescolo...0402/story.html

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

The downtown bottle depot has found a new home (location TBA). They will move in soon, when the current tenant's lease is up.

I guess I can look forward to no more calls from the Depot owner accusing me of conspiring to defame him.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:02 AM

Bottle Depot's benefits cited in defence against lawsuit

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
March 28, 2010 1:15 AM

The benefits of providing a means for the poor and homeless to obtain necessities of life by redeeming bottles and cans should outweigh any interference with a neighbour's property, say court documents filed in defence of the Bottle Depot.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0jTKFmEc0

#18 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

^ unreal...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#19 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

so basically doing a 'social good' outweighs regulations and bylaws for a company? Sounds like the same argument that Mark xyzen used in Cook St. Village. i.e. I don't want to play by the rules, so the rules don't apply to me.
"I know nothing"

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

New downtown bottle depot is scheduled to go somewhere around here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users