Photo

Where is the best place for nachos in Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ISLANDSTYLE2K

ISLANDSTYLE2K
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

I've been to a few places but have yet to find a definate clear winner. What are your experiences?

#2 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

Describe your ideal plate of nachos.

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

My idea nachos: Plastic tray, stale chips, cheese-flavoured oil in a little cup off to the side, ridiculously high price.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

7-11. Always better after 2 a.m. And you can wax your car with the left over synthetic cheese. :D

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

A lot of pubs in town do pretty good nachos. Some also do pretty bad/overpriced nachos. Sometimes these two extremes can be found at the same place. I'd also love to know a place that had consistant fairly priced tasty nachos. I love good "meal nachos" that have veggies and everything on them, not just cheese.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

I think you just have to go and try for yourself. I usually meet up with some friends at the Keg once a week and their nachos are pretty decent but it can be a bit hit or miss sometimes.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

I like how nacho chips you buy at the supermarket have "Restaurant Style" on the label and the nacho chips restaurants get have "Home Style" on the label.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

My idea nachos:[...]ridiculously high price.

I think what happened was a few years ago, a couple of restaurant owners figured out (and the rest followed suit) that most people would be chipping in on a plate of nachos - let's say an average of 3-4 people. That being the case, you now have an $18 plate of nachos (I'm using Christie's, as an example) that used to be under $10 - figuring that most folks would throw in up to a fiver to partake. It's hilarious because food cost on nachos is zilch. I would love it if we sold nothing but nachos.

As for ideal nachos, I give automatic points to any nacho plate that doesn't charge extra for guacamole. Given how much margin there is on nachos, it's the equivalent of quicking someone when they're down to charge for guacamole.

#9 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Of all pub grub, Nachos have to be the absolute worst ripoff. $14 and $18 these days... for what? Crappy chips, a black olive sliced up, cheese that does not occur in nature and "salsa" from a jar that no Mexican would touch with a broomstick.
Feh!:mad:

#10 ISLANDSTYLE2K

ISLANDSTYLE2K
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

Ideally I would be looking for lots of cheese layered throughout and not bits and pieces of broken chips with of few pieces of cheese on them! In short, natchos that eat like a meal!

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

How about a good spicy Mexican style salsa?

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

At the Keg, appies are half priced after 9pm every night. $6 gets you a decent sized plate of nachos (fills me up pretty well but if you are sharing with someone it might not be enough if you are looking to fill up). They include salsa, sour cream and guacamole, but I think the guacamole is probably pre-made out of a can. Sometimes I down a plate of calamari after the nachos depending how fat I want to get that night.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users