• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

I don't have too much info on this.
But it's here.
Both the shoebox building with the shoe repair/ hair salon, and that bungalow on the corner have been torn down. Construction is supposed to happen this week.

-Gorter Construction will be doing the work, owned by Balcarres Investments.
-2 story multi-use: retail and rental housing above

Oddly, before even seeing a rendering we already know what retail will be housed there:
-Hot House Pizza
-Bagga Pasta
-Paws on Cook (A smart move in the largest dog populated area in Victoria.)
-And strangely, but wisely: Bubby Rose's will be moving in. (They've just completed an interior reno in their current location, but I expect the move is triggered by the chaos next door.)

Not surprisingly, there's been a lot of grumbling in the area. (Change is bad, don't ya know??)

Someone please direct me to a rendering if they know where I can find one.

(Much of this info from Aug. 13th article in the Vic News. Couldn't find it online.)

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

Cool.

And what's this in relation to:

-Bubby Rose's will be moving in. (They've just completed an interior reno in their current location, but I expect the move is triggered by the chaos next door.)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

^I'm only assuming, but the food court expansion is probably eating up their business. Not to mention that ***en still has yet to get organized. The place is a bit of a mess. It would annoy me that this guy gets a bit of a free ride as well as messing with my profits.

But then, maybe Bubby just needs more space.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Ah, right, the food court. Thanks, g.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Excavation began this morning.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

Not a bad looking building, I like the stonework, but.. I dunno.. there's something ever so slightly clinical about it. Like you could get a cat-scan and pop downstairs for your cat food.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Another 2 story building on cook? Most of the main part of cook is 3-4 stories, this area really needs at least that. Castana/Essencia Verde should have been a story taller as well. Cook has a lot of potential to be a dense intimate village, but 2 story buildings are just going to price people right out. This is the densest neighbourhood in the city and 2 story along its high street is the best we can do?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Another 2 story building on cook? Most of the main part of cook is 3-4 stories, this area really needs at least that. Castana/Essencia Verde should have been a story taller as well. Cook has a lot of potential to be a dense intimate village, but 2 story buildings are just going to price people right out. This is the densest neighbourhood in the city and 2 story along its high street is the best we can do?

I agree with you. I look back to all the 2 and 3 story buildings that were built in the 70's and 80's and think.. what a mistake. Moving forward we really need to have bigger buildings.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

Wow, they didn't waste any time here. I wish I got a photo of that vintage 50s hair salon. That place was groovy.

And yeah, two storeys kinda kills the "village centre" density model the City was proposing.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

But do you blame the developer? In that neighbourhood, why even bother proposing it.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

True. It would have been a multi-year process with no guarantee of approval.

Know it all.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

Foundations for the basement have been been poured. Walls for the ground floor are
going up.

#14 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

This project is nearly done, the businesses will begin opening in late July.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Can we confirm what businesses plan on opening in this building?

Know it all.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Can we confirm what businesses plan on opening in this building?

"Paws on Cook" I believe is the name of one. I assume it's a pet store. It should do well in the neighbourhood.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

...and Bubby's. And either Hot House Pizza or Bagga Pasta. There was supposed to be both but I am guessing one is no longer as Bubby's taking two units instead of one. Leaving only two left.

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

Building looks great btw.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

Yup, looks pretty good.

And thanks for the list of businesses.

Know it all.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Third tenant is Hot House Pizza.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users