• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

http://www2.canada.c...html?id=6811366

The roles minority owners Reza Binab, Mark Wagstaff and Jody Twa maintain is uncertain, although Twa is likely to remain with the Grizzlies.

Wagstaff represented the club at the recent league meetings in Richmond.

Bestwick's name had surfaced within the last week as the group continued to iron out the majority purchase from Len Barrie.

New ownership.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Grizzlies win!! After going into the 3rd period down 4-1, in this game #7 - they win 5-4 in DOUBLE OVERTIME to take the series.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

Less than 350 fans at the game last night.  Ouch.

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

Might want to adjust the title of the thread.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

T-C noted again that the Grizzlies attendance was "weak" against Nanaimo Clippers Saturday nite. Official count was 831, who knows how many were really there. Yes, they were up against Canucks/Lions on telly, but the Royals were out of town. Not sure what they can do to improve things out there. Haven't been for a while.

#6 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

T-C noted again that the Grizzlies attendance was "weak" against Nanaimo Clippers Saturday nite. Official count was 831, who knows how many were really there. Yes, they were up against Canucks/Lions on telly, but the Royals were out of town. Not sure what they can do to improve things out there. Haven't been for a while.

Maybe all the people who "haven't been for a while" should begin to go again. That should boost attenance in itself.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Official count was 831, who knows how many were really there. Yes, they were up against Canucks/Lions on telly...

...and the Thanksgiving Turkey

#8 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

Biggest game of the season so far, trash talking in the media, no Royals or Canucks, top Tier II Junior A team in Canada making their only visit...789 official attendance. I guess that'll be their max this season. So 500ish in the stands I'm guessing?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

November 30, 2014, Victoria, BC (ISN) - The Victoria Grizzlies Junior A hockey club will officially announce Monday that Head Coach and GM Brad Knight has steppped down from his duties with the BCHL team and that Craig Didmon will resume those duties with the club, picking up where he left off after replacing Bill Bestwick last season.

http://www.independe...ight-steps-down

Specific reasons for Knight's departure were not provided Sunday by the team, nor could Knight be reached directly for comment, but the Grizzlies have noted that there will be a media event Monday at The Q Centre to make the official announcement and clarify the details.

Grizzlies owner John Wilson was available for comment and did provide some insight to the situation, "We have ten owners who are contributing a significant amount of money to get this team back on its feet. We were looking for one person to come in and provide some stability and turn this team around, both on and off the ice. Last year we had a winning team and a bad year at the box office. So far this year we are having a mediocre year on the ice and another bad year at the box office, so if anything, things have worsened. In retrospect, perhaps having one person running both the on-ice and business aspects of the club was too much to ask. I think Brad realized that as well and felt that the business distractions were taking away from the on-ice performance of the team and that it would be best for all if he stepped down from both his roles with the club."

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:37 AM

http://www.bchl.ca/l...3&clientID=1413

screenshot-www.bchl.ca 2014-12-01 06-35-45.png

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

We're right on par with lower mainland teams. Looks about right for the big cities in the province where entertainment options are almost endless on most game nights.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

We're right on par with lower mainland teams. Looks about right for the big cities in the province where entertainment options are almost endless on most game nights.

Also, the WHL is major competition here. I think if the Royals weren't in town, the Grizzlies would be much more popular (ie. Chilliwack).

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Yup that's true.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

Also, the WHL is major competition here. I think if the Royals weren't in town, the Grizzlies would be much more popular (ie. Chilliwack).

Yes, this is true to some extent.  But I'm a bit surprised the balance is so extreme, between downtown crowds and Grizz crowds.  After all, the players are all the same age (16-20) and quite frankly, as we've gone over on this board before, many players that want to play college hockey stay in the BCHL, as going the WHL route would cause them to lose NCAA eligibility.  So the skill difference between the leagues is not much different.  WHL/CHL certainly has a larger national profile.

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

It's kind of counter-intuitive, but in Canada the small leagues seem to do better, relatively speaking anyway, in smaller markets than larger ones. Junior hockey seems to have some of the same challenges the CFL does in that respect.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

The Boys of Summer, and the Gladiators of Winter, wrapped into one. 

The Victoria HarbourCats of the West Coast League, and the Victoria Grizzlies of the B.C. Hockey League, have combined to offer a limited-time season ticket package – good only until May 21 - and available by calling or visiting one of the teams' offices. 

The package includes two premium season tickets for 32 HarbourCats home games, and two Grizzlies regular-season tickets.  The package is priced at $999.99.

According to the Grizzlies and HarbourCats websites, the savings as opposed to individual ticket sets is just over $300.

HarbourCats press release

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Victoria Grizzlies may fold this month, as Q Centre lease negotiations stall

In a Times Colonist article published today, Victoria Grizzlies vice-president of business operations Sonya Saujani said, “we’ve hit an end of the road, so to speak, with West Shore Parks and Rec. It looks like we’re not going to get a deal. We have until the end of the month to figure this out, but there is a good chance the Grizzlies could be going black then”.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:30 AM

Grizzlies have a 5 year arena deal. Now they need a video screen.

The 2,537-capacity Cominco Arena in Trail has a 4-sided video scoreboard.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

http://www.cfax1070....nday-Februa-(2)
Steve Duffy's Sports Comment For Monday, February 29th, 2016
The Victoria Grizzlies will miss the BCHL playoffs. And that bothers me.

Why?

Because, I remember, and it wasn't that long ago, when the Grizzlies played in front of good-sized crowds in the West Shore, and ususally made the playoffs.

Try to imagine being a young hockey player in a bonified Junior A hockey league like the BCHL, you march down that tunnel for a home game, you hit the ice, and there's hardly anyone there.

That's what the Grizzlies faced most of this season. So why is that??

I honestly don't know. Some of those who profess to be 'in the know' say it was former dealings with the front office.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

bonified?

• nagel likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users