Cancelled development projects throughout Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

I don't think we have a separate thread for this topic. If we do if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

It's been almost a decade since Bambu, a 7-storey two-building condo with groundfloor retail space was cancelled in Chinatown -- likely the first major cancelled project since The Stafford (13-storey condo at 860 View) was rezoned then immediately flipped circa 2002/2003. Since Bambu's demise a dozen other projects met the same fate just within the immediate downtown Victoria area. Dozens of other projects were cancelled or placed on (permanent) on-hold status throughout the south Island.

Downtown Victoria’s sidelined development proposals
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
Downtown Victoria’s sidelined development proposals | VibrantVictoria.ca

Victoria’s building boom of the new millennium has often been referred to as a “proposal boom” in light of the many large-scale real-estate development proposals that ultimately failed. The west shore of the Capital region was notorious in this regard where literally dozens of residential towers upwards of 45-floors were vetted by municipal offices and never built.

Despite the hurried pace of development on the west shore, many real-estate insiders remained doubtful that enough demand existed to successfully market even a small fraction of proposals, let alone the many dozens of towers that were making their way through the municipal process. However, in downtown Victoria where market conditions traditionally trump ego, multiple major development proposals that had all the makings of successful projects were sidelined due to changing economic conditions or struggles at the municipal level. And it’s those projects, projects that not only could have been built and many would agree should have been built, that have a story of demise few have ever heard. [Read more]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Herb Kwan, who's on a comeback with some great Harbour designs had a rough streak with a few cancelled major condos:

1000 block Yates, besides Moxies (still empty pit).

1048 Johnson, revived with new ownership and architect as "The Mondrian" currently under construction. Went through at least two or three major redesigns before abandonment.

#3 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Great article, it's very interesting to think of what the core of Victoria would be like if all of those had managed to be built (although I have no doubt that there was no possibility the market could support all of these happening), and it's encouraging to see that there is something going up on some of these sites now.

Biggest missed opportunity? I'd say Radius. I'm tempted to say Crystal Court redevelopment, but that area seems to be doing alright despite the boarded up motel. The Radius pit is such a blight, and right at the entrance (kind of) to downtown.

Why did you choose not to include Gateway Green (although I see it is mentioned)? Is that because it technically still is good to go at any time?

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Last I heard, Gateway was just waiting for a major tenant in order for them to start work.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks, ZGsta. As Rob said, Gateway Green is technically on-hold and awaiting an anchor tenant. Tri-Eagle Development maintains they can start building within 60 days of signing an anchor.

I agree that Radius is the biggest missed opportunity in downtown Victoria. Townline's purchase of the land and subsequent vision for low-rise buildings is the wrong way to go at downtown's "book end," in my opinion. We need something big and shiny there and not a project that will be lost in translation.

1000 block Yates, besides Moxies (still empty pit).

Did we ever see renderings for this proposal? I left this project out as it seemed to have faltered early on in its proposal stage and it lacked the necessary push to get it built.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users