Condo Commercial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
272 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

A development proposal has surfaced for 937 View which is the lot that runs between View and Fort directly east of View Towers and Lunds Auction.

The proposal is for a 17-storey condo tower, virtually equal in height to View Towers, with groundfloor retail on the View Street side and a 4-storey townhome building with groundfloor retail on the Fort Street side. The architects are Number 10.

Approximately ~130 units are envisioned.

Perhaps the DRA will have more info in the coming days.

EDIT: new proposals (2017) have been submitted for 930 Fort and 937 View:

937 View Street - Citified entry | Discussion
930 Fort Street - Citified entry | Discussion

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

Finally something on this lot. Although I hope it doesn't match the MASSING of view towers. Two buildings that size right next to each other would be fairly ugly and a huge bit of ammo for the anti-development crowd.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

I thinkthat the tower needs to be taller than View Towers to hide it. If the building is nice then this will be a welcom addition to the area. Do we have any idea on what it will actually look like?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:24 PM

Interesting proposal. I like the fact that the Fort Street side would be lowrise. It would be really nice if the tower was glassy and colourful and as "light" as possible, as a challenge to View Towers. I also think matching the height of View Towers might be a mistake. A few stories taller or a few stories shorter, but not the same.

Just think, the day might come when View Towers ISN'T Harris Green's defining building.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

I'm hoping Rob Randall of the DRA will have some images to show us in the near future.

This could very well be the building that finally covers VT from the east. That is, if it's built taller than TV and not shorter.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

what about view street between vancouver & cook? there's a big empty space there next to that big apartment building, or there used to be.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

It's a stale proposal. More info at viewtopic.php?f=62&t=61

Know it all.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:48 AM

Anything that distracts one's attention from View Towers cannot be a bad thing. I agree however it probably needs to be a couple of floors taller, or maybe a wee bit shorter, but certainly NOT the same height. This would simply double the obscene massing that is already there. If this one goes through it will be interesting to see what sort of design emerges than can obscure the monstrosity that is VT.

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

I'd love to see any initial renderings of this project if they exist.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

Sorry about the delay. This is a rough massing sketch. I'll have more later.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

That's much appreciated.

Thank you, Rob.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

For a rough massing sketch, that image is showing us a lot of good things. The tower is a bit fat but the design is good so I can forgive the slight excess in the girth:

- there is variation in the design as the building gets taller (it's not "cookie-cutter")
- the top floor is unique
- the design of the west face is markedly different from the design of the south face

Potential Negatives:
The small windows on the Fort Street side of the lowrise sort of give the impression that the lowrise is turning its back on Fort Street.

View Towers and the proposed tower would be very close together. I realize the east face of View Towers is essentially a blank face, with extremely small windows (I think they're the kitchen windows, aren't they?). But I'm wondering if the proposed tower would need to be slimmed a bit.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

I'd take a little mass off the side of the tower to give it more seperation, and make the fort street structure a little larger and more interesting.

But even as is, I'd love to see this proposal go through! That mid-block walkway doesn't even look too bad if it's lined with actual shops and uses.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

The way View Towers is drawn/angled makes it appear taller than the proposal but I was under the assumption that they would be the same height.

Being so close together there shouldn't be as great a difference in height in that rendering, should there be?

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

I forgot to mention, I think this just might be a rare example of a mid-block walkway that could actually work. The route is reasonably practical; pedestrians might indeed want to get from London Drugs to Fort Street or vice versa. And there are windows and other signs of life on the sides of the proposed buildings. Plenty of balconies looking down on it, also. You wouldn't be taking your life in your hands when you cut through there.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

I think the Fort Street facade needs work but otherwise I'm a big fan of this one.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

Photoshop suggests even a minimal reduction in the width would solve the proximity problem.

#18 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

before I saw this pic i thought the lot in question was grass with the cool abandoned truck next to view towers. Any ideas on what could go there? Why's that lot been empty for so long?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

The owner isn't interested in redeveloping the remaining parcel of land because of a grudge he has against the city stemming from several decades back when City Hall reneged on a rezoning for a second "View Tower."

#20 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:29 PM

I agree with aastra, that is a good spot for a walkway unlike the proposal on Yates St.

Overall I like where this one is headed!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users