• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hey all,
I found some interesting information regarding the Spencer Interchange Project. Its a link on the Langford City website, with several pdfs on the design, etc.

Here is the main link.

http://www.cityoflan...asp?TopicID=457

Aaron

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

hey one of my uncles worked for that engineering firm! (not at the Victoria office though)

Maybe if there was more development downtown this wouldn't be needed for another decade or so. Too late now I guess!

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

Bear Mountain Road Showdown
Protesters in trees set to clash with work crew.
http://thetyee.ca/Ne...7/BearMountain/

#4 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

Tim Stevens, a transportation engineer the city has contracted to manage the project

The interchange is needed, he says. "The place is growing like crazy. There's more people and more people want to drive."

Its like he is encouraging people to drive already.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:05 AM

You know, if the same energy exerted by the angry protesters was directed at things like support for public transit I bet we'd get an LRT in no time. Instead they react to infrastructure proposals instead of being pro-active (at least that's the sense I get).

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

"but activist Ingmar Lee claims they have failed to make a thorough examination of the area and missed some key features, including some possible culturally modified trees"

Above is a quote from the Tyee article, and was also in the Goldstream Gazette.

Do you know what a culturally modified tree is? One that has had branches or bark removed from it for firewood. I happen to have a whole bunch of these in my backyard, but I didn't know I was culturally modifying them, I just called it pruning.

Ingmar Lee - What a clown, how would anyone take anything he says seriously when he makes statements like this.

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

Spencer Road interchange foes interfere with surveyors at work

Protesters, municipal officials see dispute heading to the courts

Judith Lavoie and Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, December 22, 2007

Drumbeats, battle cries and animal-like yells rang out from tree platforms scattered through a patch of Langford forest yesterday as protesters interfered with survey work on a planned highway project.

Masked protesters ran between trees, while others gathered around the two surveyors, physically handling their equipment and pulling out stakes and ribbons.

"Please get clear of my instrument," said one surveyor, anxiously watching protesters muddle the sensors of his $50,000 Leica surveyor's gun by twirling the lenses.

<snip>

Protesters are trained in civil disobedience including the use of lock down tubes where they wrap their arms around trees and lock themselves in.

"I want to make it clear that everything that we'd do out there is absolutely non-violent civil disobedience. There's nothing out there that we're doing that would be outside of that scope," said organizer Ingmar Lee.

Lee, said they prefer being charged with trespass or mischief, so they could air their concerns in court.

But, there is also the worry about what tactics the RCMP might use to remove them, such as the voltage-packing Tasers.

"We're actually building vests -- Taser resistant vests out of very heavy duty rubber and that sort of thing," Lee said.

The idea prompts chuckles from Langford deputy Mayor Denise Blackwell, who says the municipality will probably proceed by way of court injunction when the time comes to cut trees and bulldoze land.

<snip>

"What I'm hearing from everyone is just get on with it," says Mayor Stew Young in a recent interview.

"You can't break the law. If the law says we're going ahead, a few people will not stop what has to be done for the majority," Young said, explaining the interchange is needed because of congestion on limited roads which can be dangerous.

Young said the municipality will proceed by whatever legal means it has.

"They have a right to protest. We're not saying don't protest, we're just saying do it lawfully. But when they break the law it won't be us in there, it will be the RCMP to deal with it."

<snip>

http://www.canada.co...d7-bb92632965a8

#8 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

this project is definitely going to be a spirited affair. I doubt langford wanted this kind of attention

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

Activists accused of killing animals
By Rick Stiebel - Goldstream News Gazette - December 19, 2007

Bylaw officers, RCMP stepping up monitoring of Langford protest camp

Langford Mayor Stew Young is livid about allegations the activists trying to block the Spencer Road Interchange are killing wildlife.

Young said Langford bylaw officers have found a deer carcass at the site in the woods just off of Leigh Road. “We’ve respected their right to protest, but killing deer and rabbits is absolutely disgusting.”

Langford bylaw officers have visited the site regularly since the summer, said Langford bylaw officer Phil Williams.

“We found a fresh deer carcass that looked like it was slaughtered by a knowledgeable person,” Williams said. He said bylaw officers observed a bow and arrow on one visit to the camp.

As well on that visit, they saw a rabbit skin and feet nailed to a table, which raises concerns about poaching, said bylaw officer Wayne Brown.

The use of an open trench as a latrine could be cause for health concerns, and structures in trees high above the ground could pose additional health and safety concerns, Brown added.

Williams said they have contacted conservation officers and will continue to do so in the event of any new findings.

“We’re going to continue to monitor the site regularly,” Williams said, pointing out there has been no enforcement action taken at this time.

Young said the city has contacted the West Shore RCMP and conservation officers, and will pursue charges where appropriate.

“You must abide by the rules, whatever municipality you live in,” Young said. “This has gone way beyond their right to protest.”

Zoe Blunt, a spokesperson for the protesters, denied any activists are killing deer or any other animals in the forest.

“Nobody at the camp is killing deer,” she said. “There are more people out in this forest than just us.”

In a Dec. 15 release, Blunt argued the half-dozen or so activists have been good stewards of the forest.

“We’ve hauled out hundreds of pounds of trash that was dumped at the site in past years, and we’ve recovered hundreds of recyclable bottles and cans left by partiers and homeless people before the area was targeted for an interchange.”

Blunt noted West Shore RCMP have photographed people at the camp site in the forest off Leigh Road.

West Shore RCMP Cpl. Gerry Sutherland said two officers in uniform attended the camp, the second visit in a week.

“We’re trying to initiate dialogue and establish a familiar face for liaison purposes,” Sutherland said. Both visits were by uniformed officers during daylight hours, he stressed. “The protesters have indicated they believe they have a right to be there and so do we,” Sutherland said.

Sutherland said officers will continue with regular visits. “We haven’t given them any direction to do anything, including leave.”

news@goldstreamgazette.com

#10 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

Wow, things are sure getting interesting.

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

Something really bugs me about this article, actually. A newspaper report should, in a sense, be like a courtroom, where you don't get away with introducing evidence that's based on innuendo and hearsay. There is nothing in this article that concretely links one deer carcass and one rabbit skin to the protesters -- nothing. And yet the mayor is quoted as being "livid," as though it's proven that the protesters were responsible. Where is the proof?

Obviously we don't know what the reporter submitted to his editor, but if the reporter submitted the story as is, he's irresponsible, and if the editor changed the story to lead with the deliberately chain-yanking presentation of dead wildlife, then s/he should be kicked out of the profession. Stew Young's sound bite, "We’ve respected their right to protest, but killing deer and rabbits is absolutely disgusting,” practically leads the story, and prejudices the reader's mind. That quote is geared to "proove" that the protesters are no-good, law-breaking wildlife murderers while Mr. Young is "respectful" and law-abiding. But there is no proof.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

Indeed.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:39 PM

Smells like a smear campaign against the protesters to me.
Regardless as to whether anyone supports the protesters' cause, one has to give them credit with their perseverance.
I'm betting Young is beginning to be seriously concerned that these protesters might actually foil his plans. After all, nobody thought all those Cathedral Grove squatters could actually make a difference... and look what happened there.
Regardless, how many uber-treehuggers do you know that are willing to sacrifice all the comforts of the modern world that aren't vegetarians or vegans?

#14 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Zoe Blunt, a spokesperson for the protesters

I had to Google Zoe Blunt to see if that name was for real.

Zoe Blunt is a journalism school dropout living in Victoria, British Columbia.

http://www.orato.com/node/11099

Looks like she has various articles all over the web.

how many uber-treehuggers do you know that are willing to sacrifice all the comforts of the modern world that aren't vegetarians or vegans?

Looks like they do eat meat...

The rain holds off, miraculously. At dinnertime, three dozen tree-huggers are gathered around a small campfire devouring barbecued salmon, roasted wieners, mashed potatoes, and bags of fruit and cookies.

http://people.tribe....65-93c6bb0b2c26

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

Hmm. For some reason, it seems like an oxymoron or something.
Oh well. Doesn't mean they killed anything on the site. I eat meat, but I've never shot anything in my life.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

The article mentions a bow was observed by bylaw officers on one site visit. I'm not suggesting it was used to hunt animals, but what would a hunting weapon be doing at this campsite?

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

Something really bugs me about this article, actually. A newspaper report should, in a sense, be like a courtroom, where you don't get away with introducing evidence that's based on innuendo and hearsay. There is nothing in this article that concretely links one deer carcass and one rabbit skin to the protesters -- nothing. And yet the mayor is quoted as being "livid," as though it's proven that the protesters were responsible. Where is the proof?

Obviously we don't know what the reporter submitted to his editor, but if the reporter submitted the story as is, he's irresponsible, and if the editor changed the story to lead with the deliberately chain-yanking presentation of dead wildlife, then s/he should be kicked out of the profession. Stew Young's sound bite, "We’ve respected their right to protest, but killing deer and rabbits is absolutely disgusting,” practically leads the story, and prejudices the reader's mind. That quote is geared to "proove" that the protesters are no-good, law-breaking wildlife murderers while Mr. Young is "respectful" and law-abiding. But there is no proof.

You gotta be joking!!

Slanted media - Oh the horrors!

If this is the first article you have come across that is slanted - it is the first article you have read. That is how the NA press is. If you have ever seen something in the news that you had knowledge of you will quickly realize that they print/say exactly what they want to promote their viewpoint.

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

The article mentions a bow was observed by bylaw officers on one site visit. I'm not suggesting it was used to hunt animals, but what would a hunting weapon be doing at this campsite?

I missed that part.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:58 PM

^ You have to be joking.

If you don't stand up for good journalism and point out bad journalism than nothing will ever change.

#20 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:15 PM

@ LJ: what G-Man said. Of course I've read slanted articles before, d'uh. But that doesn't mean I let them pass without comment, if commenting is appropriate (or stands a chance of being effective). And in this case, I'd have to kick myself to let that article pass.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users