Kfc

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

Old timers will remember that the KFC outlet on Douglas was once called "Ernie's Take Out" in the 1970s because of a franchisee/licensing quirk of some kind. Everything else about it (food, decor, Colonel Sanders) was the same as other Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets.

---------

Crippled 'Chicken' Demonstration at Victoria KFC to Protest Factory-Farming Abuses

For Immediate Release:
February 20, 2008

Nicole Matthews 757-622-7382

Victoria, British Columbia - Holding a sign reading, "Broken Wings and Legs," a giant crippled "chicken" will repeatedly cross the road in front of a local KFC to lead a protest against the company's abusive treatment of chickens. PETA members will distribute leaflets to passersby.

Date: Thursday, February 21
Time: 11 a.m.
Place: KFC, 3140 Douglas St., Victoria

The roughly 1 billion chickens killed each year for KFC are tortured in ways that would result in felony cruelty-to-animals charges if other animals were the victims. They are drugged and bred to grow so large that many become crippled from the weight of their massive upper bodies. Many have their throats slit while they are still conscious, and millions are scalded to death in defeathering tanks. KFC ignored recommendations for animal welfare improvements made by its own animal welfare advisors, including five who have since resigned in frustration.

"KFC stands for cruelty in our book," says PETA's Nicole Matthews. "If KFC employees abused cats or dogs the way they abuse chickens, they could be thrown in prison on felony charges of cruelty to animals."
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 t-mitch4

t-mitch4
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

"was once called "Ernie's Take Out" in the 1970s because of a franchisee/licensing quirk of some kind. "

I met "Ernie" and his partner. The story they told me involved them meeting the Colonel while on vacation in the U.S.A. with their wives. They hit it off with the Colonel and ended up with the franchise rights for BC I think. (Memory fails me, but it may have been Canada)

That is why it was known as Ernie's Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I am not sure if Ernie still lives in the Cordova Bay area or not. His partner lives on a Gulf Island.

Tom

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Minor correction: it used to be called Ernie's Take Home.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

What is happening to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) on Hillside Avenue opposite Hillside Mall? Is it being renovated or going? Can't seem to find any information on this.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

RFS made mention of it a little while back that it may have closed. It could very well be closed for renos, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

RFS made mention of it a little while back that it may have closed. It could very well be closed for renos, though.

That location is l--o--n--g overdue for some renovations.

• GaryRanson likes this

#7 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

What is happening to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) on Hillside Avenue opposite Hillside Mall? Is it being renovated or going? Can't seem to find any information on this.

Closing forever.

• thundergun likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Might it be Victoria's oldest continuously-operating fast food restaurant building?

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

What is happening to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) on Hillside Avenue opposite Hillside Mall?...

Closing forever.

Perfect time/location to open a Brownie's franchise!

• Matt R. and Dr. Barillas like this

#10 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

Might it be Victoria's oldest continuously-operating fast food restaurant building?

Heritage designation coming right up!
  • Mike K. likes this

#11 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

The back of that KFC building is in very rough shape, quite dilapidated.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 09:28 AM

KFC reached out to its customers in Germany via its phone app, saying, “Commemorate Kristallnacht – treat yourself to more soft cheese and crispy chicken. Now at KFCheese!” - https://www.theguard...heese-promotion

They claim it was a glitch in their system. Really?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 09:58 AM

I miss KFC being a place I actually wanted to go

#14 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 07:19 AM

Ummmm, in a weak culinary moment this past summer I thought to myself "hey, it's been years since I've eaten KFC, I think I'll go get some".

I'll just leave it there, except to the note that it was the biggest culinary error I've made in the past 10 or so years (if not longer).

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 07:22 AM

I’m not sure that’s a culinary error, technically.

#16 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 10:18 AM

^Once after watching Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle went to a White Castle and it was awful

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 10:32 AM

Were you stoned at the time?

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 10:36 AM

Were you stoned at the time?

Probably, it was in Las Vegas
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 10:48 AM

Of all the places you could have dined in Las Vegas you chose White Castle? You MUST have been stoned.  :blink:

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 11:20 AM

^ Well I always have octopus sushi in Las Vegas and things always get weird after that

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users