Movie theatres & movie filming in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:44 AM

No thread on movie theatres and I am starting this one on a sad note.

As of tomorrow the Vic theatre will be closed. I had really hoped that the new residents in the area would have helped it out but really how many times in two weeks can you see the same movie.

I think a format more like Cinecenta would have been much more successful. Anyone want to predict the sudden increase in size of the tourist shop next door?

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

Now can we blow up Nootka Court and build something decent?

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

That's terrible. I hope the theatre is not removed. It's been there since the 1970s.

Some cool theatre photos:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

too bad about the Vic! though in the past year that I have been living in Victoria I have never seen a flic there because selection just wasn't as decent as the other theatres in town. I can't remember, were they playing Hollywood movies, or something different like foreign or independent? I never go to the Roxy because they are usually just playing whatever the larger theatres had - two months earlier!

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

There's an article on the Vic in the TC today.

Here's a great listing of Victoria's old theatres. It has a great photo of the Haida (now the vacant grass field on the Telus/Atrium site). According to this site despite it's vintage architecture and small size it had a 70 mm screen with Dolby sound.

This 1947 map
shows all the downtown theatres.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

It was sad to read about the demise of the Vic Theatre. I have enjoyed more movies (or maybe better said, have enjoyed movies MORE) in this little theatre over the years, than in all the mega-plexes combined. I guess it dosen't pay to offer a classier alternative to the Hollywood blockbusters. :(

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

On this site (link by Holden) there's a reference to the Counting House Theatre (#855) -- was that on Broad? If so, that must be the one where I had my first exposure to Monty Python -- "Monty Python's 'and now for something completely different'," the movie version that introduced those maniacs to North Americans in the early 70s...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw "The Little Prince" (Gene Wilder) at the Towne (the Vic) back when I was a wee one. That was probably the first movie I ever saw there.

I also remember seeing "Kindergarten Cop" there quite a few years later.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

Yes, the Counting House was on Broad in the building shown in that photograph. I'm pretty sure it was a twin cinema. Hard to believe it was upstairs in that old building.

I remember seeing The Dove at the Towne (Vic) in the mid-70s. I also recall being outside the Towne in 1978 with a friend; we wanted to see Star Wars again (it had just been re-released) but the showing was sold out. Instead we saw Don Knotts in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. Phooey.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Speaking of Star Wars, I saw the re-release of "Return of the Jedi" many times at the Counting House (1 & 2). I also saw "Real Genius" (Val Kilmer) and "Rambo: First Blood Part II" there. The thing is, I remember the theatres as being on the ground floor. But I also remember there was access to the second floor because I remember standing up there and looking down. Did one of the theatres have a balcony or was one of the theatres on the second floor? I honestly can't remember!

The theatres themselves were extremely small; it was almost like watching TV at home. The walls were brick.

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

I seem to remember going upstairs in the Counting House so it may have been a balconied theatre. Then again, they could have been stacked. It would probably be a good way of optimizing space in a smallish building. I'm sad it's gone. Having movie theatres in Old Town was cool.

I'm also very sad to see the Vic go. I was going to see Control, the Joy Division movie there but never got around to it. I hope a new company realizes its potential and buys it. I didn't know the same company was associated with it since 1974.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:44 AM

There is an article in the TC today on the closure and they end with saying that they may lease it out for community events, theatres or for showing movies.

I say again a downtown version of Cinecenta would be awesome. I really only go to movie's downtown and now without the vic there is definitely a void in the independant movie area. I admit I only went to the Vic about 2 times a year but I always enjoyed it.

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

The Vic Theatre opens for a special event:

For just $60 you can hear some of the top filmmakers in Canada talk about
their careers, the state of the industry and their passion for film. Book
your all-inclusive Springboard pass today! For full details visit
www.victoriafilmfestival.com or come in to the festival offices at 1215
Blanshard Street in Victoria.

All talks will take place at the Vic Theatre, 106-808 Douglas Street,
Victoria, BC

Saturday January 31
10 AM – 12 PM
10:00 Host Welcome
10:05 Don McKellar
10:20 Brian D. Johnson, juror and film critic
10:40 Nathan Fielder, writer and Top 20 selection
11:00 Art Hindle - special guest
11:20 Garfield Lindsay Miller, director, writer and Top 20 selection
11:40 Larry Weinstein

Saturday January 31
1:30PM – 3:00 PM
1:30 Gerry Swallow – special guest
1:50 Iain McCaig, Concept Designer
2:10 Michael McGowan director and Top 20 selection
2:30 Danny Iron – special guest
2:50 Brett Gaylor (on Skype), director and Top 20 selection

Sunday February 1
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
11:30 Katherine Monk, juror and film critic
11:50 Kevin Lee Burton, director, writer and Top 20 selection
12:10 Floyd Kane, producer and Top 20 selection
12:30 Rob Merilees, producer and Top 20 selection
12:50 Richie Mehta, director and Top 20 selection

Sunday February 1
2:00PM – 4:00 PM
2:00 Liane Balaban, actor
2:20 Andrew Currie, director, Top 20 Selection
2:40 Scott Dewis, Special FX, producer and Top 20 selection
3:00 Eli Goree, actor, and Top 20 selection
3:20 Howard Ng, animator and Top 20 selection
3:40 Charles Martin Smith – special guest

#14 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

I went to a movie at the Towne Cinema when it first opened. The only thing I remember was the extremely uncomfortable seats. I never went back.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:21 AM

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

So no one has wanted to reopen the Vic theatre yet?

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

So no one has wanted to reopen the Vic theatre yet?

Sign still advertises it for lease.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

‎Mayfair Shopping Centre has announced the movies for its summer drive-in theatre. Passes are available by donation at the Concierge Desk starting July 31st. Movies:

✔ Top Gun
✔ Say Anything
✔ Ferris Bueller's Day Off
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Traffic chaos to ensue.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Traffic chaos to ensue.

Perhaps that donation thing puts the brakes on the el cheapo factor. Now they A) charge money and B) can give out a limited number of passes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users