[Fairfield] 325 Cook St./ Food Court Expansion | Stalled

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

The food court on 1009 MacKenzie St., in Cook St. Village is expanding to the lot next to it on 325 Cook St.
foodcourt.jpg

A pic of the food court right now:
IMG_1192.jpg

A pic of 325 Cook St. It includes this parking lot and the building to the left, formerly Fairfield Cleaners.
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg

There are plans taped to the window of 325 Cook. Here is the overall design. The building on the top is the current building, below is the future building. As you can see, the plan is to eliminate the parking lot for another building.
IMG_1189.jpg

This will essentially triple the food court's square footage.

A close-up of the current food court building:
IMG_1188.jpg

A close-up of the future renovated building on the left and the brand new building on the right:
IMG_1187.jpg
It says "parking" in the middle of the new building lot. I'm guessing that's just an indication of what's there at the moment. It will not actually be parking in the future. It's not clear however whether this new building will be completely enclosed. I assume it will be, but I suppose it's possible that only the food prep areas are enclosed and the rest is open. But I doubt that.

Here's the frontage plans for the 325 Lot. The building on the left is in existence today. The one on the right is the parking lot.
IMG_1190.jpg
Notice the garage style doors. I like the idea of glass garage doors that could open up the space when the weather is nice. I picture tables overflowing onto the street.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

Looks quite ambitious.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

IMO the Cook Street Village is a wonderful example of a vibrant local community that really works. This little food court has grown from nothing into yet another reason to make the CSV a destination of choice for people from all over the city. I for one, will definitely be making a visit.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

I just wish there were more sit-down restaurants in the village.

#5 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

Looks almost too ambitious. They do so much already with so little space and everything there is delicious and a fair price. I hope this works out. It looks a bit like they are following the granville island idea, and maybe some of those stalls can be for fresh organic food etc rather than restaurants.
Remember when hillside had this? It was great but ultimately didn't work out. I wish them the very best - I will be eating there for sure.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

Those stalls are quite tiny. Most will concessions will take up more than one stall I'm sure.
If you look at the current food court floor plan, the stalls are broken up into pieces that are smaller than the current concessions. The Ethiopian and Thia food places for example take up 2 stalls each.

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

I just wish they would bring in debit machines.

#8 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:32 AM

Has anyone heard what's slowing things up at the Food Court expansion? Nothing has moved on the site for months, it seems. I was looking forward to some new restaurants . . .

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, not taking debit or credit plus not having a machine is very odd. What place doesn't take credit cards these days??
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

Last I heard, he was looking for retail tenants as well as food tenants. I suppose there wasn't enough demand for just food. I need to get this guys email so I can get him on here.

#11 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

gumgum...there is an email address in one of the pictures....veggiefastfoods@shaw.ca ...double check it, but its the picture near the top of the page, perhaps the email would work in getting in touch with Mark Fagen, the guy behind the whole food court...

#12 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

Cook Street Village needs a hardware store. The nearest one is Fairfield Plaza.

I lived on Cook for about three years and it was great having all that food available, but 'man does not live by bread alone.' I love walking around hardware stores to see what's up, what I might need or to find 'art supplies.' Besides there are times when one needs hardware supplies desperately.

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

I agree! A hardware store, and a decent computer accessory store with printer ink and paper and such.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

gumgum...there is an email address in one of the pictures....veggiefastfoods@shaw.ca ...double check it, but its the picture near the top of the page, perhaps the email would work in getting in touch with Mark Fagen, the guy behind the whole food court...

Done.:)

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

I agree! A hardware store, and a decent computer accessory store with printer ink and paper and such.

Pharmasave is filling that hole a little bit with the odd hardware and computer stationary product. But you're quite right. It isn't enough.

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Well I emailed Marc over a week ago and haven't heard back. I linked VV and this particular thread and hinted to him that this would be a good way to get the word out about his future expansion.
If you ask me, the guy should have at last replied back. It's not a big sacrifice, and it makes no business sense not to add even just little blurb on this thread.

If I were him I'd get off my butt and let the community know what the hell is going on.

#17 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Well I emailed Marc over a week ago and haven't heard back. I linked VV and this particular thread and hinted to him that this would be a good way to get the word out about his future expansion.
If you ask me, the guy should have at last replied back. It's not a big sacrifice, and it makes no business sense not to add even just little blurb on this thread.

If I were him I'd get off my butt and let the community know what the hell is going on.

somehow this doesn't surprise me. Marc is a very...eccentric man, I did some work on the original Food Court for him...He kinda just drums to his own tune.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

[crickets chirping]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Maybe Marcat could contact this guy to find out what's going on - since she/ he knew him once upon a time.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

There's a large banner across the fencing that blocks off this site's parking lot: "Red Fish Blue Fish". Apparently they were giving away free fish tacos earlier today. Guess that means they're one of the establishments opening up here. YEAH!!
Still...strange how there's just a banner with just its name. No "coming soon" or a planned opening date. I don't know if this sense of mystery is on purpose or if these people just don't have their **** together.
I suppose we'll only find out as things start to physically unfold.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users