Photo

[Oak Bay] 2531, 2541 Estevan Ave | 3 stories | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:16 AM

An article in the TC about this development being proposed.

3 stories, 20,000 sq feet.
There's a rendering on the hard copy of the paper. It's relatively contemporary looking.

estavendev.jpg
Anybody remember what retail's there now?
EDIT: "Stretch & Sew, and The Blitz."

victoria-estevanbuilding.jpg

D'Ambrosio Architecture - http://www.fdarc.ca/...&id=album-13858

#2 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

Estevan got quiet when TD pulled out a few years ago, and recently lost much of its appeal when they clear cut the beautiful boulevard trees. It may really help the area return some quaint village-ness with a mix of 50's and new architecture. The project seems well planned by d'Ambrosio, with cycling and recycling facilities and a garden irrigated by rain-water catchment.

#3 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

Neither the Blitz or Stretch & Sew drive mucg pedestrian traffic. At least S&S has an attractive storefront. The Blitz is all frosted windows to hide the gym inside.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

They need to make the village larger and add density if they want it to have any vibrancy.

#5 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

Nice one Funky! Thanks!

#7 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

They need a decent-sized grocery store. Honestly after seeing what losing 2/3 of groceries did to the Cook Street village and what Fairways has done for Quadra village, nothing has me more convinced of that need for any "village".

Too bad that building underground parking is so expensive. I love that Safeway on Broadway in Vancouver that has the parking below the store, it doesn't create a blight.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

They're talking only 12 residential units but 40-45 parking stalls, so this leads me to assume they're planning to have divided parking underneath, with part of it gated off for residents and the remainder unsecured for customers.

This project would effectively double the number of commercial parking spaces in Estevan Village, yes?

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Love that little toy store in Estevan Village.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oak Bay news:
Estevan building raises alarm
April 11, 2008
Residents speak out against proposal for four-storey redevelopment

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

I espescially love Ken Bray's comment. Those renter types could certainly ruin the sense of order.:rolleyes:

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:07 AM

Er, a mother is concerned her kids won't be able to play street hockey...a block away from one of Canada's most stunning urban beaches?

This loon should pair up with the ones that think Beacon Hill Park is diminished the more people visit it.

If these people are concerned about a "sense of order" they should ensure their village centres are renewed so they don't fall into the trap others have of waking up one morning and realizing their neighbourhood centre is full of dilapidated old crap buildings that no-one decent wants to lease or rent.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:13 AM

I smell a mini Castana in the making.

#14 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

Dunlevy Street resident expressed concern that some of the proposed 12 condominiums might end up as rental units.

“I have concerns about subletting,” Ken Bray said.

“We would lose some sense of order if they were rented out.”

Here we are in 2008 and other municipalities in the region are insisting on covenants that take out the strata's ability to ban the rentals because of record low vacancy rates. What year is it in Oak Bay?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

In Oak Bay's defense, there is serious talk of legalizing suites. One council member (didn't get his name) was on CBC radio this morning speaking of the advantages to legalizing suite and the advantages to increasing density. Listening to him gave a real sense of hope that people are really starting to get it - density matters.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

The surface parking thing bugs me. How many spaces are they talking? I'm surprised they even have room for surface parking. Maybe it's just a couple of spaces around back in the lane, as per usual? It must be, don't you think?

The mother of two complained the street is already like “a mini-resort town” when beach-goers park there on their way to Willows Beach one block away.

Interesting analogy. I'd say the street is more like a street near a beach in a large city. But that's just me.

Wouldn't you get towed if you parked in front of the stores and then marched on down to the beach?

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Some Munis already have legalized it.

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

Does nothing escape the agonizing scrutiny of the NIMBYs in this city? This project seems utterly benign to me, and yet people are "up in arms". The mind boggles.

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

...a three-storey mixed-use grandfathered building built across Estevan Avenue in 1959 that evades C-2 zoning requirements.

Translation: an old building that's about the same size as the proposed building.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

It doesn't sound nearly so sinister when you drop the anti-everything gobbledyspeak.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users