Photo

[Downtown] DoubleTree by Hilton (Executive House Hotel) | 19-storeys | Built in 1965

Hotel

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

I think that the Exec House could easily be brought up to date with a lick of paint and new deck railings. It is a pretty decent looking building to be honest.

Executive House is in fact currently getting new windows and deck railings. The window frames and railings are a dark grey colour so Executive House will have a slightly darker, more sophisticated look.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

Executive House is in fact currently getting new windows and deck railings. The window frames and railings are a dark grey colour so Executive House will have a slightly darker, more sophisticated look.

Someone there is reading our posts!

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

That is great news! Now a coat of paint and it could once again be a great hotel downtown.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Here's a shot of the new windows and railings. You can't see it very well but the windows have a greenish tinge to them which seem to clash with the current paint colour, so who knows, a complete exterior makeover could be in the works.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

The new windows seem to be a bit too dark, don't you think?

http://www.flickr.co...N00/2369684421/

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

The new windows seem to be a bit too dark, don't you think?

Undeniably darker, but I think I will reserve judgement on the overall effect until all of the windows and balcony railings have been replaced. It has to be an improvement though. Does anyone know if a new colour scheme for the building itself is in the works? This might lessen the impact of the new windows.

Maybe the moderators can start a new thread on the Executive House (if one does not already exist) as these recent postings have little to do with the Aria.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

Given the change in glass and railing colour I would think they'd be planning to paint the exterior.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Maybe the moderators can start a new thread on the Executive House (if one does not already exist) as these recent postings have little to do with the Aria.

THANK YOU!

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

I was having a look at this today and think it looks awesome!!!!

I don't think the windows are too dark as when I saw it in grey skies you could see in so very well. Also I think you are being tricked a bit too as all the new windows don't have curtains behind them which the rest of the building still has.

Man it is going to be stunning when this is done.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

I still find it amusing that we here at VV have been discussing this exact sort of overhaul for this building for a while now, and then - voila - it happens. Now if they could just work in my "over-scaled Ionic columns" on each of the 4 corners....:)

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Or convince the Chateau Victoria to step up too :)

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

Perhaps between the EH renovations and the new Falls development, the Chateau Victoria can be shamed into updating its aesthetic appeal.

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

I saw this today and was very impressed. A subtle change but a world of difference. If they paint the exterior this could be Victoria's greatest ugly-duckling-to-a-swan building in a long time.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:40 AM

I saw this today and was very impressed. A subtle change but a world of difference. If they paint the exterior this could be Victoria's greatest ugly-duckling-to-a-swan building in a long time.

I think that is a bit harsh, it's no ugly duckling now, it's not so bad.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

I think the present fleshy paint job makes it rather blah. This will bring it back to what I assume might have been the original intent as I can't recall other old modernist buildings looking so washed out. I'd like to see a colour photo or rendering of the EH back in the 60s. Despite issues I have with the parking area of the podium I think it's a strong building that has held its own.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

I finally had a good look at it this weekend. It looks great. What a difference. I thought the new windows might be too dark but they're not. Some new paint could have that place looking like a new building.

Just maybe they've licked a cosmetic issue, a summer temperature issue, and a soundproofing issue in one go?

It really does make me wonder what more could be done for View Towers. Or even Harbour Towers.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Some new paint could have that place looking like a new building.

I am not 100% certain, and maybe it's just a result of the improvement of the new windows, but it looks to me like fresh paint has been applied to the facade where window replacement is complete. It seems like a creamier tone, with a more blue base than the yellowy beige colour currently on the exterior. Has anyone else noticed this?

#18 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

When it was first built, the top floors were rental units. They must have been reasonable since my uncle had one. Can't remember the paint colour just the wonderful views.

#19 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

^^ Even I have to admit it looks a lot better with those dark window frames. Not sure about whether anything has changed in the color -- guess I didn't look at it as closely as I could have.

As for that other place (the one with Vista 18), it still needs to clean up its act -- in fact, it really needs to clean up its act, now that Executive House is looking so fresh.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#20 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

I'm sure one of you shutterbugs (which is probably a misnomer now with digital cameras) can stagger down and get a shot of the Falls and post it on that thread, and while you're at it get a shot of how the Ex House looks these days. I would but i'm 2500 miles away!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users