Cityzen Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 613 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Cityzen Residences is a six-storey, 32 unit condo with ground floor commercial space on Herald Street near Gov... (view full profile)
Learn more about Cityzen Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Cityzen Residences (613 Herald Street) | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Excavation

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

This is the site between Chung Wah Mansions and 1725 Government (old Victoria Brake site).

Four storey condo with ground floor retail. Architect is D'Ambrosio Architecture and Urbanism. Site area is approximately 7,200 sq. ft. This property was offered on the market last year at $1,250,000.

More info in a few weeks.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

Sounds good to me but too bad that it isn't tied in with the lot next door.

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

The Brake lot is offered for sale on the Colliers site but I don't know if that means the Formwerks proposal is dead or not.

I think two separate proposals is keeping in scale with Chinatown/Old Town projects compared with the larger building a lot consolidation would produce. I'm encouraging the developers to cooperate in the area of shared parking.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

[Moderator's Note: red lot shows neighbouring development - this thread is for 613 Herald]

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

^ I can see an issue if there is opposition to the building on the brake lot not being allowed to build right up against the old buildings on Government Street. I mean the brake lot building would have to be allowed zero lot linesetbacks or basically they would be crushed from two ends.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

The Brake lot is offered for sale on the Colliers site but I don't know if that means the Formwerks proposal is dead or not.

I just walked past this site about a half hour ago and the Colliers "For Sale" sign is still leaning against the "7-Up" building with a sold sticker on it, as it has been for several months (since before the Formwerks proposal came to light if I recall correctly). Could the Colliers website be out of date or has the lot really gone back on the market?

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

I would imagine there would be zero side lot setbacks for both sites. The density is 3:1 so there may be some pullback to create small courtyards or light wells on the inside.

Note the deep setback in the Chung Wah mansions building to the east. A big challenge will be dealing with this.

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

Preliminary design:

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:49 AM

Are those glass blocks I see? Gawd no! Those are so eighties.

#10 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:36 AM

Wow it uses a colour! And it is not even a pastel. I love it already!

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

Pull the store fronts even with those pillars and I am sold. Love it above the ground floor.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:55 AM

I agree with G-Man. Enough with the setbacks already!!!!

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Are those glass blocks I see? Gawd no! Those are so eighties.

I think d'Ambrosio can figure how to do glass blocks.

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:42 AM

The only way glass blocks should be done is not at all, imo.

#15 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

You need the setbacks so the doors don't swing into the public area when they are opened.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

Then set back the door and not the windows. Seems that is the common practice in old town.

#17 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

I wonder what will be done to insure those north facing, exposed concrete pillars won't get covered in mildew in 5 to 10 years? (or is that something other than concrete?) Architects always seem to leave this aspect of the design out of their flashy renderings. If you're designing a building with untreated exposed concrete, you're designing a building which will soon be covered in mildew! At least adjust the rendering accordingly so that we can see what we will really be getting.

#18 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

I like it, very shiny!

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

I wonder what will be done to insure those north facing, exposed concrete pillars won't get covered in mildew in 5 to 10 years? (or is that something other than concrete?) Architects always seem to leave this aspect of the design out of their flashy renderings. If you're designing a building with untreated exposed concrete, you're designing a building which will soon be covered in mildew! At least adjust the rendering accordingly so that we can see what we will really be getting.

The Gardenworks building on Oak Bay and Foul Bay has some kind of clear coat of protector on it.(the one g-man posted.) I bet it'll be the same thing.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

And this puppy has a few inches of setbacks. If you could even call 3-4 inches a setback. No biggie as far as I'm concerned. Most people wouldn't even notice.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users