[Burnside-Gorge - Victoria] Brizo 19 | Condos | 5-storeys | Under construction

Condo

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

A Development Permit application and architects' renderings were couriered to me today by accident (it's not near Downtown, it was supposed to be delivered to the Burnside/Gorge CA).

It's a proposal for a 5 storey condo at the end of Speed Street on the right hand side. Speed Street is off Douglas right across from Mayfair mall. There's a recently finished condo next door.

Developer is Farid Haji Esmaeili and the architect is Eric Barker.

The interesting thing about the design is that it's set at a 45 degree angle to the street.

They also propose the possibility of totally landscaping the street in front of the development. Speed Street is a dead end and I guess they figure it will always be, so might as well shorten it and create a little park. One by one the old houses on this notorious street are vanishing. There are some huge mature plane trees on this street which look great.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

Let us know when you will be able to post some renderings for us Rob - or a weblink to the proposal. We rely on you for SO much. And by the way there are no accidents. You were obviously meant to see these renderings. :D

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

That is great news.

Speed Street is already a million times better with Mayfair Mews. Once the other houses come down it can be the beginning of a great TOD with the BRT station right at the end of the street there.

I expect we see that motel come down in a couple years. A nice twelve storey building with some ground floor commercial could make that area a destination. Eventually the Mayfair folks will figure out that their land is worth more than having parked cars there.

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

Here you go. Some stats:

-19 units
-Townhouses, studios, apartments and lofts from 675 to 1244 sq. ft.
-total cost including sub-trades, $2.6 million.

That garden concept looks great. I hope they will someday be able to do it.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:43 AM

Wow that is awesome.

THough I am questioning 19 units at 2.6 million seems awfully low.

#6 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

Ah last time I was at city hall they had the presentation panels for this little guy. I thought an angled building on speed st. rung a bell.

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

This is kind of a weird street. It looks like the only one with trees on it!

#8 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

trees?

#9 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

1 more try:

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

^That funny little street is quite the anomaly. I wonder if it every cut through to Steele St.

The Alpha/Beta/Delta/Gamma/ streets area would be a good place for a Greek restaurant.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Wow that's crazy, normal little green residential street totally surrounded by motels and and maybe even light industrial/warehouse use?

#12 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

OK slightly off topic, like by one block, but I've always loved this place with secret underground pool and studio on Steele St. -

http://www.awesome-h...om/moreinfo.htm

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

it's 3112 steele st, which can be seen in the pic. I saw it on the tv show.

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Speed street is a hold over in the neighbourhood, somehow the houses remained as all the rest of the area when commercial/industrial.

I believe the houses are all mainly rentals.

It might be treed, but the street looks like the slummiest area I know of in Victoria.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

You think? I love the new building and once this project is underway it will even better. I am sure the rest of the street will follow. It will in 5 years be one of the nicest urban residential streets in the whole city.

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

This gets an appearance before Advisory Design Panel this Thursday at 12:20 at City Hall.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

This was very contentious today at ADP. The vote was deadlocked 3-3 through several votes to pass or table. One member thought there were simply too many variances to allow it to pass. Eventually one member said he'd break the deadlock by leaving the room to go to the bathroom. A motion was brought forward to table the project so the architect could reduce the number of variances.

The 819 Yates developers were stunned at all this. Vancouver developers are always shocked when they come to our ADP. Vancouver's Urban Design Panel is much more straightforward I'm told.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

That is crazy! The only variances that should matter on this street should be the ones affecting the new building next door.

Who else are they worried about? The giant blank white wall behind them?

#19 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

It's my humble opinion that ADP, variances etc won't matter anyway. Even if this building passes without any changes, there is no way, whatsoever, that it could be built for $2.6M. Once the developer realizes this, it'll likely get shelved unless he has deeper pockets (which is a shame, I liked the building and it would undoubtedly improve the neighborhood).

The way I see it, 19 units, averaging only $250k a pop (likely could get more) nets the guy $4.75M. Land at $600k ish and fees at about $400k means the fellow would stand to make over $1M on the development. However, I would guess that the construction costs wouldn't be under $3.5M. (If he spent $4M, he could sell for more.) This puts him about even money, which puts the project on hold.

Anyway, that's just the way I see it based purely on speculation (except for the part about construction costs being over $2.6M. I'll bet my hottness on that).

#20 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

Fine. I'm holding my bid off until the accountants report.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users