[Burnside/Gorge] Holiday Court Motel | Destroyed

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

What's happening with the Holiday Court Motel? That's another "fixer-upper" downtown imho. What is planned for it?

#2 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

A cruise missile would do the trick

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

Did you ever see this?

As many as 1,000 discarded syringes a day are collected by Holiday Court residents and taken to Victoria's needle exchange.

http://www.extremeou..._resort_1-5.pdf

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

There is a Holiday Court Tourist Style T-Shirt for sale at that shop down on Johnson St... I'm blanking the name but it will come to me. The shirt cracks me up.

#5 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Last I heard it was owned by the folks who own Andrew Sheret.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

What boggles my mind is that this place has somehow managed to avoid burning to the ground. Believe it or not, I once heard that real tourists stayed here!

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

^It's still listed on some accomodation websites.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

Who did that commercial where the smiley happy tourists come to Victoria and pull into that place? It was hilarious!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#9 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

I *think* it was the T-C, something about reading the paper to be "in the know". It was a pretty funny ad.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

#11 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

I was wondering the same thing as I walked by it tonight. What's happening with it?
It's like the lights are on(literally) but nobody's home.

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

I was wondering the same thing as I walked by it tonight. What's happening with it?
It's like the lights are on(literally) but nobody's home.

Walked by it again...and still wondering.

#13 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

http://www.timescolo...0714/story.html
Infamous Holiday Court Motel burns

By Sarah Petrescu, Times Colonist

July 26, 2009

The once infamous Holiday Court motel at 740 Hillside Avenue was burning Sunday morning, with the avenue blocked off by police from Blanshard to Douglas. It will remain so at least until mid-morning.

Victoria firefighters worked to quell the fire that appeared to have started in a basement storage area and spread through the walls to the second floor.

Emergency crews were called to the smoldering building just after 6 a.m. More than a dozen firefighters, seven trucks, police and paramedics were on hand. No one appeared to have been in the building at the time.

The hotel, once known for attracting drug addicts, dealers and crime, was sold in 2005 for $1.9-million to Andrew Sheret Holdings Ltd.

“As far as we can tell it’s been abandoned for years,” Victoria Police acting sergeant Brent Robertson said at the scene. “The doors are padlocked.”

It’s not confirmed who currently owns the building or what it was being used for. Captain Robert Klatt from the Victoria Fire Department said the cause of the fire is unknown but it appeared to have started in a storage space with motor parts – likely being used by neighbouring business S&G Power Outboard Motors.

“It’s the end of an era,” Klatt said, as firefighters busted through an empty second-floor room to hose the fire spreading upwards through the walls.

spetrescu@tc.canwest.com

MORE TO COME....

© Copyright © The Victoria Times Colonist

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

I'm going for a walk right now, I'll get some pix...

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:18 AM

Andrew Sheret still owns the building and the site is to be redeveloped.

#16 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

I captured some images at 7AM this morning.

Urbanpatina.ca see Motel Fire gallery.

#17 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

Andrew Sheret still owns the building and the site is to be redeveloped.

Using the Victoria Fire Department sure is cheaper and easier than getting a demolition permit! ;)

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Very minor damage - nothing to see. This message sent courtesy of an insecure network in the Railyards

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

Using the Victoria Fire Department sure is cheaper and easier than getting a demolition permit! ;)

A logical answer, but many of the units were rented out for storage and most of the parking spaces are leased. A fire at this point would cost them more money than doing the work properly when they are ready to develop the site.

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

A logical answer, but many of the units were rented out for storage and most of the parking spaces are leased. A fire at this point would cost them more money than doing the work properly when they are ready to develop the site.

I figured as much, I was just being a bit cheeky.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users