• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

Anyone know anything about this?

Saw the sign on the weekend.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

I saw the application sign as well. Sometime, somewhere I remember hearing something about an 8-story addition to be built on the Douglas Street side. Maybe I was dreaming this, but hopefully someone has some details. Done correctly, this could really spruce up this part of Douglas.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

It's to be built on the upper (Douglas St. side) part of the existing parking lot on the SW corner of the property where the big electronic scrolling Liquor Plus sign is now. The current drive-in lobby stays but the south-facing wall above it will be opened up so the existing hallways on floors 2 3 and 4 of the hotel connect up with the new addition.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

Am I correct about the addition being 8 floors in height?

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

Any ground floor retail on the douglas frontage or will there be an ugly grass boulevard?

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

I haven't seen all the plans by any means, we only spoke with the hotel re: the exact setting and the parking situation during and after construction. 4 floors total, that makes it the same height as the existing section. I don't know where the number 8 is, the sign on Douglas just says 4.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

8 probably came from my imagination and the hope that the addition would be more interesting than what was aleady there. Sadly it appears it won't be. :mad:

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Somehow I have in my mind it means 80 more suites, or maybe it brings the total to 80 or 90. Right now the hotel only has 51 suites...pretty few compared to the overall mass of the building. Liquor store and nightclub in the basement level below Douglas grade, a 90-seat restaurant and 180-seat pub on the lobby level, then just two floors of rooms above all that.

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

Fingers crossed that this addition dares to raise the bar with regards to the architecture along the strip there. Just maybe we'll get a building that actually looks like it's in Victoria instead of in Saanich? It wouldn't have to be a masterpiece. I only ask that it's better than the motel with the Shark Club in it or that strip mall across Douglas where the Future Shop used to be. No more giant houses, please!!

#10 thant pix

thant pix
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

I don't see why the city even has to approve this change. However, since they have that prerogative, they should demand that the super 8 people plant a couple of trees on the site where they can grow really big.

#11 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

This has been proposed for around 3 years and hasn't gone anywhere in that time. I believe Praxis are the architects

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

Super 8 Hotel property listed for sale at $6.85 million
http://victoria.citi...t-6-85-million/

The Super 8 Hotel on Douglas Street at Burnside Road has been put up for sale at an asking price of $6.85 million. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

Super 8 Hotel property listed for sale at $6.85 million
http://victoria.citi...t-6-85-million/

The Super 8 Hotel on Douglas Street at Burnside Road has been put up for sale at an asking price of $6.85 million. [Full article]

Should this thread be moved to "City of Victoria"?

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Done, thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users