Photo

Rifflandia Music Festival

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

Very good news. The guys at Atomique Productions are bringing a smokin' music fest to downtown, August 29-31. The website at www.rifflandia.com doesn't give much away yet, but their Facebook page says there'll be "over 50 musical acts in eight different venues," including Black Mountain, DJ Z-Trip, Man Man, The Walkmen, Final Fantasy, Blitzen Trapper, and Guns N Bombs.

These names may not mean much to some readers, but they're big in the Pitchfork/Ditch Records/indie music scene, and most of them will also be playing Bumbershoot in Seattle on the Labour Day weekend. This event will get a lot of kids from up the Island and over from Vancouver. :cool:

#2 Zombie T

Zombie T
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

Awesome. Thanks or the heads-up... I'll likely be going to check out Black Mountain.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

The Walkmen would be good to see too!

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

That's so rad, J. This is exactly the sort of thing Victoria needs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

So where is this going to be? Inner harbour?

#6 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

Damnit, as if I didn't have enough problems deciding which concerts to go to that weekend... I was choosing between Dave Matthews Band in WA state, Bumbershoot in Seattle and that festival in Stanley Park.

Well, I'll probably support something local and head for this though, thanks for the info!

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

So where is this going to be? Inner harbour?

8 venues.

#8 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:31 PM

Venues:

Royal Theatre
Sugar
Logan's
The McPherson
Lucky
Element
Stratchcona Rooftop
Smiths

I was hoping there would be a better outdoor venue, to make it feel more like a 'real' festival. But that's really my only complaint, I'm pretty excited for this.

#9 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

Anybody else on the forum been going to this festival? By my estimation, it's been great. The organizers were worried that Victoria wouldn't "get" the wristband/multiple venues thing, but it's worked. Kinda like tuning through a radio dial of alternative stations, and stopping in where you like for a listen. Music fans walk into a venue, buy a drink, check out the band that's playing, and move on if they don't like. But if they do like, the band's got a new bunch of fans.

It was great seeing Philadelphia's Man Man bash out their caveman jazz right after work on Friday at Element -- a nice way to blow off the week's frustrations. But the highlight had to be Black Mountain at the Alix Goolden Hall, playing in front of the giant pipe organ, which provided the perfect setting for their Led Zep bombast.

A great photo of that gig is posted at http://www.flickr.co...966574/sizes/o/:

Made me feel like I was back in Europe.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

Wow! Thanks.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

I put a show on Friday, these guys:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

...and of course that was opening night of Rifflandia, but we still sold it out, and even turned away 50 peeps, so I guess there is lots of people to go around for everyone.

#12 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

Creepshow: good band! Never heard of them before.

Yep, it was great to see lots of people downtown Friday night, and not just the cruise ship crowd. Didn't seem be any problems for police, either.

VHF, did you have any read on what percentage of your audience was from out of town? Maybe the city and Tourism Victoria need reminding that good music can draw visitors.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

Creepshow: good band! Never heard of them before.

Yep, it was great to see lots of people downtown Friday night, and not just the cruise ship crowd. Didn't seem be any problems for police, either.

VHF, did you have any read on what percentage of your audience was from out of town? Maybe the city and Tourism Victoria need reminding that good music can draw visitors.

First-off, the police. They have been visiting a lot lately, but it looks like they are looking for particular trouble-makers. The guys that show up here every night are some type of integrated-crime-unit guys, special uniforms and everything. If they see familiar faces, they shake guys down. No one they know, and they head right back out. I'm all in favour of this practice.

Friday night re: out-of-town crowd, I'm not sure. But I have noticed a great percentage of up-Islanders in particular lately at our bar, event or not.

I can assure you, when there is a concert at SOFMC, a big part of our crowd is from up-Island. Now, it may be a bit skewed to us as we are in a hotel that is king of "rubber-tire" traffic, but it is amazing how much we see, especially for the heavier acts for younger but still affluent folks, like Motley Crue or Def Leppard.

...and yes, The Creepshow was a class act, it's easy to see how some true musicians stand out from the crowd of wannabes. When I get to work with some good folks like that, it makes up for many of the flakes I have to deal with.

#14 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

If anyone's looking for more info about how this festival went down, you can read about it and see photos here:

http://themetropolit...hp?menu=Content

#15 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

I'm still not sure if I like the idea of a wristband festival event taking place at limited capacity 19+ venues, but it seemed to turn out fine.

Favourite shows of the festival, in order:

The Walkmen
Man Man
Holwin' Rain
Final Fantasy

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

Rifflandia 3 lineup announced: ✪ http://www.rifflandia.com/

Aesop Rock, Chad VanGaalen,
Chali 2na, Gord Downie, Great
Lake Swimmers, Hot Hot Heat,
Lee Ranaldo, Melissa Auf Der Mar,
Sarah Harmer, Tanlines, The
Dodos, Tommy Guerrero

Chikita Violenta, Dayglo Abortions, DOA, Dehli 2 Dublin,
Egyptrixx, Frog Eyes, Gaslamp Killer, Ghostkeeper, Goodbye Beatdown,
Hollerado, Jets Overhead, Jon and Roy, Kate Miller-Heidke,
KO, Kuba Oms, Michael Bernard Fitzgerald, Rich Aucoin,
Shout Out Out Out Out, The Racoons, The Tabla Guy,
Topless Gay Love Tekno Party, Wooden Sky, Yukon Blonde, more to come...

Topless Gay Love Tekno Party

Ah, Rumours, circa 1991.

#17 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

Wow, I had to google most of the headliners. I'll probably still buy a wristband though, if only for the ever-amazing Gord Downie and the up-and-coming Wooden Sky.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Full lineup announced.

Men Without Hats!

Ivan lives in Montreal, Stefan lives in a small town in the Laurentian mountains of Quebec about an hour north of Montreal, Colin lives in Victoria on Vancouver island, teaches voice and sings with the Victoria Opera Company, Lenny lives in Montreal and works in computers, Marika lives in southern California, Heidi lives in New Jersey, Allan died of AIDS about 6 years ago, Jerry Arrobas is in telemarketing and living in Mtl, John Gurin is a university professor, Jean-Marc writes jingles in Mtl, the still Famous Al Gunn hasn't left the island of Montreal since the tour in 1985, Bruce Murphy's a dentist in Ottawa, and Tracy Howe lives in Ontario and recently retired from music.

http://4.bp.blogspot...afety+dance.jpg

http://www.rifflandia.com/

At long last, we're pleased to announce the full line-up and schedule for Rifflandia 3! We're thrilled with what we've been able to put together for this year and we hope you are too! 157 artists, 11 Venues, and 1 wristband! Are you ready Victoria? We hope so! Enjoy the website and check back often over the coming weeks as we post news…

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

Rifflandia is looking to grow in 2011, with a possible venue of Royal Athletic Park.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

For those of you that missed the Rifflandia concerts this past week......here is a taste.

8idLwT08rMc

This one would not load....click the link

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users