2060 White Birch Road
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 2060 White Birch Road
Municipality: Sidney
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: in planning
2060 White Birch Road is a four-storey condominium proposal along the 2000-block of White Birch Road at the To... (view full profile)
Learn more about 2060 White Birch Road on Citified.ca
Photo

[Sidney] 2060 White Birch Road | Residential | 4-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:56 PM

Here's a news article about a public hearing @ the Mary Winspear Centre:

Sidney approves controversial condominium development

Kim Westad, Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Another piece of Sidney waterfront will be home to high-end condos, as the town struggles with the best way to use valuable land, provide new homes and still retain the small-town ambiance that residents love.

"I think council looked beyond the neighbourhood politics and looked to the benefit of the whole of Sidney," developer Alan Jones said yesterday, after Sidney council approved a 34-unit development in a 5-2 vote.

Jones has been working for the last 2 1/2 years to have a .6-hectare parcel of land at 2060 White Birch Rd. in Sidney rezoned to allow residential development. Initial plans for a six-storey, 41-unit building with a café were changed after neighbours, most of whom live in nearby condo or apartment buildings, opposed the height, density, decreased sunlight and increased traffic.

Peninsula Properties downsized the development by two floors. It still includes one storey of marina services and office space for the marina in front.

"The reality is that the development is just too big," said Moira Cameron, who lives at 2040 White Birch Rd. "Peninsula Properties' proposal is like Cinderella's step-sister trying to fit her chubby big foot into Cinderella's small slipper."

Rather than letting developers set the tone for development on Sidney's west edge with "one-off developments," Cameron suggested a detailed local area plan be done. That drew applause from many in the crowd of about 150 people, who also clapped when other speakers talked of lowered property values for nearby properties because of the view and sunlight being cut off by a new building.

Others worried about the changing face of Sidney.

"Are we going to put up condo buildings as high as we can make them? Or are we going to preserve a village atmosphere? That is what a lot of us came here to enjoy in the first place," said George Charlton, of 2050 White Birch Rd.

http://www.canada.co...29-ac8d65862449

Fyi White Birch is in the far north of Sidney, near the northern border with North Saanich. 2060 is currently a parking lot.

I went to Sidney today for the first time in ages & it was actually pretty nice. I'm surprised there are so many good bookstores along Beacon Ave.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

If there's one thing I hate it's fancy developers who drive up property values with their luxury condo buildings that drive down property values with their view and sun blocking.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

I think it's actually only 4 stories, if I'm reading that article correctly.

"Are we going to put up condo buildings as high as we can make them? Or are we going to preserve a village atmosphere?

If "as high as we can make them" means "the same height as the five nearest apartment blocks" then the answer would seem to be "yes."

If "village atmosphere" means "dense cluster of apartment blocks and townhouses" then the answer would also seem to be "yes."

Anyway, have a look at the "bird's eye" view of the site and then tell me with a straight face that a lowrise apartment building would be an outrageously bad fit.

http://maps.live.com...ey bc&encType=1

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

Anyway, have a look at the "bird's eye" view of the site and then tell me with a straight face that a lowrise apartment building would be an outrageously bad fit.

This one seems like a total no-brainer to me. Will anyone even notice another 4-story building in this location? It would have been an outrage for Sidney council to turn this down. Do the current residents of the area not realize that THEIR buildings blocked the view and the sunlight that existed before they were built as well? Why does everyone think that once THEIR home is established no further development can ever be allowed? The mind boggles at this degree of nimbyism. I am glad Sidney did not cave to the pressure.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

There is one or maybe two ugly-ass buildings along side this new one. Both those two just above and left of the arrow in Aastras reference. I know this area.

Truly ugly with big concrete arches and I forget what else. You can see the arches in Aastras pic.

This new one is great.

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

There is one or maybe two ugly-ass buildings along side this new one. Both those two just above and left of the arrow in Aastras reference. I know this area.

Truly ugly with big concrete arches and I forget what else. You can see the arches in Aastras pic.

This new one is great.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I always say.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I always say.

Trust Randall to have painted it. OK, the offense is no so much the arches and outside entry (the bane of Songhees) but also the big surface parking lots with some covered shack-like areas.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm impressed that you guys know where this is. I sure didn't.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Is this project completed now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

The issued DP has lapsed, and the developer is going through the DP process with what I understand is the exact same proposal. Last month Council carried a motion to move the application to the Advisory Design Panel for review.

Sidney Dev Tracker: http://www.sidney.ca...pplications.htm

Project plans: http://www.sidney.ca..._Road_Plans.pdf

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Edited by Jackerbie, 04 June 2018 - 01:45 PM.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

Better not let the CoV Advisory Design Panel see these renderings or they'll insist on even more blanding changes to the Ironworks project.

#12 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

Better not let the CoV Advisory Design Panel see these renderings or they'll insist on even more blanding changes to the Ironworks project.

Switch out the white and seafoam cladding for weathering steel and you've got the Ironworks project right here.  <_<

#13 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:03 AM

Approved by Council on June 11

• van-island likes this

#14 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 April 2022 - 01:09 PM

The saga continues.

Sidney condo proposal in the works since 2008 pursuing new design, more density

https://victoria.cit...n-more-density/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users