• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

Anyone going?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

nope goin campin instead.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:43 PM

Can't Im too drunk!!! :?

#4 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:29 AM

Beer's gross. Now if it was Vodka...then maybe...

#5 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

Beer is not gross!

I used to go when it was more about the beer, not the drunk idiots trying to drink as fast as they can (which the number has gone up too far in recent years).
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

It's that time again. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, 9am, online only. There will be no ticket outlets this year.

http://www.gcbf.com/

No indication anywhere what the price will be.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

I went a beer festival in the 70s at the arena. Dennis Day was the entertainer. He was well over 65. That said, we had a great time.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

$44 this year, and a sell-out in the first hour.

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

What do you get for your $44? Is it all-you-can-drink?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

No, it's not that big a deal, it just has a cult following these days. It still costs $1.50 or $1.25 per small sampler of beer. Scalpers on Craigslist for $50-$100 now for Saturday tickets.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

$280,000 in tickets sold in one day.

Tickets for this year's Great Canadian Beer Festival, which takes place Sept. 10 and Sept. 11 at Royal Athletic Park, sold out in a flash after going on sale at 9 a.m. yesterday. The Saturday tickets sold out within eight minutes of going on sale, said festival office manager Claudia McNeil, while Friday tickets sold out by noon. In all, 7,000 tickets were sold.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0uhX44IyZ

This guy does pretty good with this festival, because the vendors PAY to be there, they sell the beer at their expense (they get the token money), and he gets volunteers to staff the thing, he has very little paid labour costs. Lots of profit left over.

#12 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:27 AM

Wow. I should ask the municipality if I can have a beer garden in Lambrick Park.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

Wow. I should ask the municipality if I can have a beer garden in Lambrick Park.

Like I say, it has a bit of a cult following. Lots of people don't really care about the beer, it's just a big social event where everyone you know is there. There are plenty of FREE events around town with great entertainment and a beer garden, but this is the long-standing grand daddy that has momentum.

Lots of scalpers on Craigslist, along with the usual gripers. 130+ comments on their FB page, gripers, braggers, fun stuff. http://www.facebook....617564

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

Mark my words right here, there WILL be media strories on event day about fake tickets etc. and a big fiasco.

Facebook commentator:

I don't mind the online sales, was able to get the tickets I wanted. But this print-at-home thing is for the birds. GCBF clearly stated they wished to deal with the scalper issue, but now people are not only going to be buying tickets from scalpers, but they will most likely be fakes or photocopies. Do the online sales, but ship me a real ticket. And for god sakes, tell people ahead of time what the true cost will be, it's not like you don't know what the total ticket price will be.

I agree. Two great points.

There WILL be real problems, because they have no idea if a home-printed ticket is an original or a fake/copy. There can be no way to tell. They will let the FIRST person in with that bar-code, then stop the next. At a sold-out hockey game, you can deal with it on a case-by-case basis, as you can go to the seat and talk to and ID the parties, match them to the credit card name. At Beerfest, you can not find the first person that used a ticket. I have no doubt that as we speak, scalpers are selling fake tickets. On top of it, police will never be able to prove a seller knew they were fake, nobody will be charged unless it is done on a very grand scale.

And not advertising the price ahead of time is very bad PR.

Maybe time for someone to cull this monopoly and somebody start another fest?

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

Tokens are $1.25 (inc. tax) for a 4oz. sample. MOST beers are just one token, but some are two. So it's not much of a deal, considering I know many establishments in town that feature a 16oz. and even an 18oz. beer for $3.99 (pus tax) on some days of the week.

#16 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

Tokens are $1.25 (inc. tax) for a 4oz. sample. MOST beers are just one token, but some are two. So it's not much of a deal, considering I know many establishments in town that feature a 16oz. and even an 18oz. beer for $3.99 (pus tax) on some days of the week.

$44 is a bit steep for the cover charge. But there must be awesome live bands playing, right?

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

$44 is a bit steep for the cover charge. But there must be awesome live bands playing, right?

Nothing with any name big enough to announce in advance.

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

I went to the Beer Fest years ago at the Conference Centre. It was a lot cheaper there. I wouldn't pay $44 cover at what is essentially a trade show unless I got a lot of "free" swag in return like t-shirts etc.

#19 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

no list of brewers yet :(

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Maybe time for someone to cull this monopoly and somebody start another fest?

I think that the whole process was a good idea executed badly. I also agree that fake tickets are far too easy to generate with zero chance of getting caught once you have gone in the gates.

It is clear from the number of tickets for sale now that many people are either faking tickets already or simply bought blocks of tickets they didn't need to try and scalp them. Neither works well for any event.

I also suspect that a lot of people who jumped into this at the last minute don't realize that $44 doesn't actually get you anything but in the door and a 4 oz shooter. You still have toi buy the beer and it is not a great deal. They may be 4 oz glasses but I never had one filled to the brim.

My bet is that in the days up to the event tickets will be selling at face once people realize the risk of buying them privately for cash and the fact that lots of people are trying to sell.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users