Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

Swallows Landing, Esquimalt.
[url=http://imageshack.us:382f5][/url:382f5]

When is this one due to be finished?

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

I am not sure. I will take a photo of this tomorrow before the crane comes down. It looks good from the harbour.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

Pic from today:
[url=http://imageshack.us:625c6][/url:625c6]

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

today:

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

What was your impression of it?

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

I thought the materials looked really high quality. The brick almost gave it a sort of Boston/ New york feel to it for some reason.
The grounds around it are a pretty big footprint, but I think it balances well with the fact that it's quite a large scale for other surrounding buildings.
Hard to tell from the pic, but those balonies are very large.

#7 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

it's hard to get an impression of the building with all that scaffolding still up, I'm not sure what I think of it. Funny how this project gets virtually no attention, but if it was downtown in would. To me the brick work looks a bit "busy" with the variation in colour. Thanks for the pics gumgum.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:46 PM

That brickwork is so rare out here, but it's very common in Ontario and the American northeast.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

Yeah looks kind of 70s...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Funny how this project gets virtually no attention, but if it was downtown in would. To me the brick work looks a bit "busy" with the variation in colour..

I've been wondering about it.. .. This weekend I got as far as to wondering why it didnt't have a thread here, so this is great timing. Swallow's Landing is the project with the protected Garry Oak area managed by the Land Conservancy, no?

I love brick on the exterior of buildings, it can have a certain classic feel to it.. in this case I think that the texture with the colour variation works for the setting.

edit: I notice now it is that orangish colour to it... not my favourite, but I still like the variation in colour. One of the newer buildings at UBC is done with a flat orange brick, and this combined with the massive boxy shape makes it look precisely like a real brick. Next time you fly to Vancouver on a float plane, just keep an eye out for the giant orange "brick". The inside is gorgeous, but the "brick" exterior is blah.l

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

Are you talking about the Life Sciences Centre?

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:38 PM

Today's theme is "brick".

I've seen a lot of brick buildings lately with a whitish bloom developing on the surface. The public library building is notable for this. I don't know if this is a flaw or just the natural aging process that eventually will give us that aged "heritage brick" look.

You're right though--it's almost forgotten, sitting there on a quiet street.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

The "bloom" could be the clouding or leaching of a poorly-done sealant.

#14 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

Are you talking about the Life Sciences Centre?

Yup that's the one, but it looks so benign in that picture.

In person it is an overwhelmingly massive wall of orangeness punctuated by glass. I find the exterior of the Forestry Centre to be much more appealing.

OMG I just google-earthed it..... what on earth was built between the Life Sciences Centre and the Old Winter Sports centre? Whatever it is.... whoa.

Geez it's windy out there tonight.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:22 AM

I've been wondering about it.. .. This weekend I got as far as to wondering why it didnt't have a thread here, so this is great timing.

There was a thread rayne, it was just way at the bottom of the list.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

That's a new parkade.

#17 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

I've been wondering about it.. .. This weekend I got as far as to wondering why it didnt't have a thread here, so this is great timing.

There was a thread rayne, it was just way at the bottom of the list.

Ohh.. woops. My apologies, thanks for pointing that out - I'll go take peek.

Parkade? ... Please take the following as an uneducated OT tangent as I really have no idea what the other new developments on edge of campus have for parking arrangements:

If campus is supposed to be a microcosm of a community (UBC easily has a higher daytime population than a number of BC towns and likes to bill itself as a "community"), and can't be faring too poorly with all of their residential development, I might wonder why they aren't putting more parking underground.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

Several of the new buildings do have parking underneath, but I presume they wanted acres of public pay parking for the Olympics and that's why they built an elevated parkade over by the ice complex site. The parkade is only just finishing construction as we type.

#19 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:36 PM

That makes me feel a bit better then.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users