Fishing

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

One thing I love to do is go fishing.

I have been salmon fishing a few times this year. Also I love going fishing on the lakes around too.

I have got pretty good at the lake fishing thing. If I go out on a boat on the lakes around Victoria I never get skunked.

My records for Elk Lake is

6.5 pound bass and a 3 pound trout.

In september I always go salmon fishing in NitNat river too. I will be going soon. I have found the best spot, no one knows about. I always catch my limit. Last year I got a 55 pounder. The cool thing about the spot I have found is that it is really close to the lake. NitNat lake is a tidal lake so it gets flooded by the tide. Making more of a brackish lake. The salmon all swim into the lake and wait at the mouth of the river for the rain. Being really close to the mouth of the river the salmon I catch are still prime. Mostly or completely silver and sometimes even still have sea lice on them.

It's a great way to get away and see the most beautiful scenery you could ever imagine.

Everytime I go up you see countless bears, golden and bald eagles swooping down and grabbing salmon out of the river....it's a trip worth taking.

I will take some photos on my next trip so you can get a small taste of what it is like.

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:21 AM

I love to eat fish but I've never been fishing. Well.. I've been maybe twice but no one caught anything. I think I'd be too scared to deal with hooks and clubbing and gutting and such. I wish you just pulled prepared fish out of the water, slapped it on a table, and a chef turned it into sushi right on the boat.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 captain highliner

captain highliner
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

Argh, Billy, fishing is a topic dear to the captain's heart...

For a truly urban fishing experience, try bottom fishing at the Ogden Point breakwater. As a fishing location it has a lot going for it: it's near downtown; has a great view in both directions (the Olympic mountains off shore and Lululemon pants topside); and there's 30lb lingcod within 50 ft of the concrete. Kick ass.

The only problem is the high volume traffic of people so alienated from the natural world that they feel compelled to ask such questions as: "Are there any fish out there?" That's when I pretend to be some kind of foreigner who can't speak English.

At any rate, Ogden point is a great place to find a bit of the wilderness right next to the city.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

Ain't it hard to catch a legal Ling from there?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

hahaha....

Believe it or not some people catch some big Salmon of the Breakwater....low odds but everyyear you get someone catching a lugger.

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:49 AM

I've taken some good size cod from the breakwater at the cost of many a lost lure! Loads of questions from people and some hang around just to see if you catch anything. It's also hard to drink your Lucky Lager when people keep staring!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#7 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:44 AM

You'd think better taste in beer would accompany that avatar!

Matheson Lake is nice for rainbow trout too!

I've taken some good size cod from the breakwater at the cost of many a lost lure! Loads of questions from people and some hang around just to see if you catch anything. It's also hard to drink your Lucky Lager when people keep staring!

#8 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

^Don't be dissing the lucky lager, Vancouver Island's own!

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

^ :D Yep! Lucky used to be brewed [url=http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/alaskawcanada&CISOPTR=797&CISORESTMP=&CISOVIEWTMP=:ddffd]here[/url:ddffd] on Government St.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

You'd think better taste in beer would accompany that avatar!

Haha! Let's just say one's palate matures over time. :wink:
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#11 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:22 PM

When you catch a big guy like this in the NitNat...

you will then want to keep on topic....:-D

My record of in the Nit Nat river is 60 pounds. I know of one guy that caught a 75 pounder in there....

Just watch out for bigfoot!!! :)

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Fishing and I don't mix.

The only time I went fishing was with Scaper a little while back. Eventually a salmon caught our line but it was snatched by a seal. Scaper fought with the thing for 45 minutes before the line broke.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 baz

baz
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

anytime i head out fishing its allways at elk, i got myself a little boat an just head out to the bouys, everytime i get something,but i put it back cause i dont like to eat it. lake fish taste pretty bad.
anyonw whants to head out someday just shoot me a pm an we can hook up!!

#14 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

That's the best place to catch a trout...ahahhaa...I thought that was my secret. I hit something so big there in my little boat too. It hit so hard...ripped the line of the downrigger and pulled off about a hundred feet of line...When I started to play it.....it broke the 8 lb test line. I will never know what it was..... :cry: but I have never hit a fish that big on that lake before. I have also caught a six pound bass on Elk Lake too. Now there are large mouth bass on there as well.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

That's the best place to catch a trout...ahahhaa...I thought that was my secret.

You and the couple dozen people I pass when I run around the lake on the weekends sometimes.

#16 valleyflyfisher

valleyflyfisher
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

Anyone else here do any flyfishing? I try to get out as often as I can, not only is it just plain fun, but it also takes you to the most beautiful of places.

I pulled into this little island and had a shore lunch.

Later that same day I was rewarded with this beauty.

I also enjoy fishing the river, part carnival ride, part fishing, here is my bro on the Cowichan.

Here is a crappy picture of my buddy having his rainbow stolen by an aggressive eagle on a mid-island lake.

Many fishers today use the Pentax Optio WP (waterproof) cameras and the quality of pictures they take is impressive.

Fish eyes view of rain on a lake.

Another underwater shot of a south island rainbow in all its colour.

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

1916, Charles Dudley Seaborne, owner of the Oak Bay Boat House, with rock fish:

Dudley Seaborne by the Oak Bay Boat House.jpg

Photographer: Alice Lisle

Oak Bay Archives 2014-004-017

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

Dudley Seaborne lived off the land and sea while in residence at the Oak Bay Boat House.

Dudley Seaborne lived off the land and sea while in residence at the Boat House in 1916..jpg

Oak Bay Archives 2014-005-079

Edited by todd, 19 September 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

Heading to Campbell River for two days fishing on the Campbell River and possibly the Cheakmus and some of their tributaries. Anyone been up there lately? Spent the morning at Island Outfitters updating my gear and re-lining several reels. Aside from zingers and spoons just curious if anyone has fished the area lately, and if so what lures worked, what didn't etc....

#20 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:16 AM

A friend sent me this one today via email: trust those crazy Russians.

You know exactly how this is going to sideways from the start of the video and you think "no way!" But yep crazy-ass Russian does it - without further delay let me present "hand grenade fishing, Russian-style":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6X92PzMBSg

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users