Photo

Western Speedway | Langford

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

Tonight I went to the races. I will post the photos later, but it was a lot of fun. I haven't been out there for a least three years but it was a good way to spend a sunday night.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

I hear ads for Western Speedway on the radio quite regularly but I have yet to go.

Those photos might convince me;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

haha western is alright, soon i will graduate to laguna seca though, but fond times at the redneck emporium of victoria though

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

I went there for the demolition derby once. Now THAT was hillariously fun.
Imagine this: a dozen beat-up compact cars in a forty lap race with a track that is a FIGURE-EIGHT! Later on that evening they took a beat up old chev and drove it up a half-ramp just to see if they could flip it over completely and then land on its wheels again. And when it wasn't successful, half a dozen or so boys would simply roll the thing right-side up and try it again until it was completely out of commission.

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

yes it's a camino.....:)

We should get a group to out and watch the figure 8s

#6 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

A friend of mine used to run in the mini figure eights, and I had another that used to run claimers. It's a fun saturday evening event.

#7 Jeffamartin1970

Jeffamartin1970
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:11 AM

I like Western Speedway. They have held entertaining, and great races their. A few years ago they had the big rig trucks come and that was a blast. My friend and I love the dwarf stock cars. The can get up to 90 miles an hour. I try and go 3 or 4 times a year. I go for the special events. Have seen the sprint cars and they are fast a 50 lap race can be finished in under 25 minutes. Would like to see the track doubled in size. It is just to small for any good races. It is something like 2/5th of a mile or something. They need to upgrade facilities in order to get bigger and better races.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

Saanich race car driver Bill Okell, 64, picked up two more trophies while racing in California at the end of October and set a new record in the process.

Over the weekend of Oct. 26 and 27, Okell took part in the annual Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships at the Buttonwillow Raceway near Bakersfield, Calif. This was his first time at the track in many years and his first time driving his own race car on the track.

Okell entered the 2019 race as the two-time defending champion and left with his title intact. He raced in the NASPORT Lite class and won both his races in the same 1964 MGB Roadster he’s been racing in for 44 years.

https://www.vicnews....-in-california/

for perseverance and toiling away from town in relative obscurity alone this guy should be indicted into the sports hall of fame here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2019 - 07:22 PM.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:47 PM

The future of Western Speedway is likely to be decided within the next six months after confirmation Tuesday the property is under a conditional contract for sale.

Duncan Thomson, president of ESAI Corp., which has been preparing the 80.97-acre site for sale for the past two years, confirmed the conditional contract was in place, but would not offer any further detail.

https://www.timescol...ford-1.24216364

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 October 2020 - 11:47 PM.

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 06:42 AM

The ownership group behind a bid to buy the Western Speedway lands from the Wille family has applied to amend the area’s official community plan and rezone the property to allow for residential development and a business park that could house a new film studio.

Bastion Development Corporation and Strand Holdings, the firms behind the bid to buy the land, have made an application that will come to Langford’s planning, zoning and affordable housing committee on Monday.

https://www.timescol...ands-1.24278628

pretty sure that "relocating" the speedway will never happen.  but i guess it's politically correct and a very safe bet to have that in the package.  the $2.5M does not get spent if a suitable home never materializes.

suddenly we are awash in film studios!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2021 - 06:43 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#11 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 06:03 PM

^ It states that racing might continue through the fall of 2022....  I bet they will see an uptick of attendance as folks catch the last set of races.  

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:36 PM

Racing season is around the corner, and Western Speedway is drifting in under a new name – Westshore Speedway.

The name change comes as a fresh start under new ownership, with continued operations at the racetrack set until 2022. A statement made by Western Promotions Ltd. on Facebook, said continued use of the name Western Speedway would have legal ramifications.

“The solicitors for the previous owners of the speedway, on behalf of the previous owners, claim the continued use of the name will suggest an improper association with an existing business, Western Speedway 1966 Ltd., and cause extensive financial damages given the extended scope and scale of Western Speedway’s future,” reads the post.

https://www.vicnews....th-name-change/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2021 - 01:36 PM.

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:18 AM

Former Greater Victoria racer welcomed back to NASCAR after suspension

A toaster strudel got Josh Reaume disciplined last year

Reaume, who used to live in Highlands, was reprimanded for a social media post showing a toaster strudel with icing that allegedly looked like a swastika.

https://www.saanichn...ter-suspension/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2021 - 07:19 AM.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:07 AM

Developers planning a mixed-use development on the Western Speedway lands have made their first foray into the marketplace to determine commercial-industrial interest in what’s been dubbed Langford Heights.

Bastion Development Corporation and Strand Holdings, which bought the Western Speedway lands from the Wille family, intend to establish a business and industrial park on the site as well as a residential component in later phases of what is expected to be at least a five-year build-out.

Early plans call for homes on small lots at the southwest end of the 81-acre property, with a 50-acre business park on the bulk of the remaining land that could house a film studio, hotel and variety of other uses.

Reid Kaufmann, vice-president of Bastion Development, said the company is speaking with prospective tenants while work begins on servicing the land, and is open to inquiries from all comers.

“What we are going for is a good mix,” he said — everything from film-production facilities and complementary businesses to large-scale distribution centres, automobile services, small retailers and offices.

https://www.timescol...l-space-4781337

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 08:05 AM

Yet another film studio. How many proposals does that make on the Island now?

#16 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:17 PM

Why a hotel?  It isn't close to the highway.

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:28 PM

Why a hotel?  It isn't close to the highway.

Do hotels have to be close to a highway?

In any case this site is a 3 minute drive to the highway.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:39 AM

Do hotels have to be close to a highway?

In any case this site is a 3 minute drive to the highway.

At 2AM :-)

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:40 AM

Yet another film studio. How many proposals does that make on the Island now?

At any hint of money people start to line up! If you can get the Government to pay for development and cover all operating costs then why not?!

• Nparker likes this

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:42 AM

At 2AM :-)

Correct, it is currently a 4 minute drive  :whyme:

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.41.08 AM.png

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users