- - - - -

Traveller's Inn bankruptcy

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#1 darrylw

darrylw
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

I have been hearing rumours over the last two days that the Traveller's Inn is going bankrupt.

Apparently it was broadcast on some radio station this morning that they locked employees out. Yet I phoned one of the hotels this evening and everything seemed to be operating business as usual.

I know John Asfar has a lot of debts but I know that his family also has deep pockets.

Does anyone have any news or information as to what is going on? Is it just one of the hotels shutting or is it the entire chain or is this just a rumour?

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

Rumour, though I would like to see them sell some properties off just for the diversity.

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

I'd be happy as a clam if the two motels near White Spot were redeveloped.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

As a bit of an insider, I can tell you, no truth. I talked to John in person yesterday, everything is OK, for now.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

I'd be happy as a clam if the two motels near White Spot were redeveloped.

Oh ya, then where would you karaoke 7 days a week? Karaoke is like lawn bowling, it must be preserved.

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:53 AM

Regardless of what you may think of John, the guys knows how to stretch a buck!

I would suspect that the family would find a way to save face and either keep the chain running or sell it.

#7 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:20 AM

Oh I could only wish that Traveller's Inn would go out of business, I have a complete and utter lack of respect for him and his brother...They are dirty, self-entitled, and obnoxious just to spit a few words out...and where are you going to play Karaoke? I'll open a Karaoke bar if he goes out of business. I had a friend who was visiting stay at one of this locations, over the period of 2 weeks, there were more police raids, police calls, drug deals, etc etc...Having known people that work there in my younger days, he pays horrible wages, treats his employees like dirt, and there are some very shady and questionable activities other than the usual that have occurred which isn't really my business to air, but just the same...the demise of that chain would be an excellent day for Victoria

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

It should be pointed out that the Asfar's have no more to do with the Karaoke Bar then Mayfair does in the affairs of Toys R Us.

Plus the loss of the best summer spot in the city would sad. Now the one across the street can go tomorrow even if it became a 15 storey Traveller's Inn.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

I see by a whois lookup that Asfar is behind this anti-Canada Revenue website:

http://cra-abuseofpo...lassaction.com/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

Wow, that is one uninformative website! Personally, I am having difficulty seeing Asfar as any sort of Robin Hood figure.

I've known a couple of people who stayed at the Traveller's Inn by mistake. One checked out as soon as he noticed pubic hair (not his) scattered on the bathroom floor.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

There's a lot of anti-TI ranting on Craigslist right now.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

From what little I know about this man and his businesses, I wouldn't stay at one of his "hotels" even if he paid ME.:eek:

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

That is a creepy and delusional website.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

Looks like the pawns might be rising up and hanging the king:

http://cra-abuseofpo...om/register.php

#15 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Well I know for a fact there's a problem with some employee's pay cheques.

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

If you check CSO it shows 78 lawsuits against John Asfar. Some of the recent lawsuits involve banks and mortgage companies.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

So long as the hotels last 'till 2012, everything will be ok ;)

...some of you may know what I mean.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

So long as the hotels last 'till 2012, everything will be ok ;) ...some of you may know what I mean.

And for those of us who don't?????

#19 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

And for those of us who don't?????

It's the end of the world...again

#20 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Mayan calendar ends.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users