Photo

Station House Pub | Langford

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

Well being a Westshoreite (yes new word!) I've been to the Stay-Ho many times, with the regular ol'pub service, girls easy on the eyes, lots of tv's, pool and Strongbow on tap (what more can I a guy really want?!) - but I was completely appalled this evening at the service I received from one of waitresses. What completely surprised me was that I was sitting no more than 30 feet away from local publican and developer Bill Beadle (the owner of the Station House) with his construction manager and a local, well known real estate agent...I was with some relatives of Mr. Beadle's no less...didn't seem to matter to the young and very attractive (Zim...I'm telling yah...) girl, while attractive service was horrendous

#2 Sara

Sara
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

I unfortunately had the experience of working there. I find that Bill likes his girls to be blonde and well endowed(All the better to appeal to the piggish clientele). I found the working condition appalling, and that he shouldn’t hire his family to run his business.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

Welcome Sara!

Nothing sours a business like nepotism. It takes wisdom, maturity and diplomacy to ensure the owner's offspring harmonize with the rest of the staff but it rarely happens. And hiring for looks in this tough market is not only chauvinist but means you get more sub-par workers.

I received horrid service at a local pub recently and was appalled--not at the woefully incompetent server but the fact that her disinterested manager was also nearby but wasn't supervising. Are people trained anymore? Or are they just thrust out and forced to learn on the fly?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

Off topic threads have been deleted. Please keep threads on topic to Station House reviews.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#5 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

didn't seem to matter to the young and very attractive (Zim...I'm telling yah...) girl, while attractive service was horrendous

Yet, did most of her customers still tip her generously? Will they go back to gawk again? See why the service sucks?

#6 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

Yet, did most of her customers still tip her generously? Will they go back to gawk again? See why the service sucks?

Well I dunno, none of us tipped her, I don't really care how gorgeous or well endowed someone's chest is, I can go downtown and sit on the causeway and check girls out for free...

#7 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

none of us tipped her

Good on you! I hope she takes the hint.

#8 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Regular customers were told last night that the lease for the Station House Pub would not be renewed. The rumours are that either a Spaghetti Factory or Keg will move into the space. I, for one, am hoping for the Keg. Pubs in Langford are getting few and far between.

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

I thought Bill owned the property and the pub? But that was 6 years ago, maybe he sold it?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

I thought Bill owned the property and the pub? But that was 6 years ago, maybe he sold it?

Doesn't the strata own it, and lease it back to Bill? I'm sure they'd like a quieter neighbour. I don't know, I'm not even really sure where it is, although I've been a few times.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

(Merged with existing Station House Pub thread)

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Doesn't the strata own it, and lease it back to Bill? I'm sure they'd like a quieter neighbour.

Bill owned the land and the building, as well as the building with the spa and the row of stores with the bank. The only strata I know of there would be for the new condos.

That or I was writing my rent cheque to the wrong guy...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

**EDIT: The power of social media! We've (my Facebook page) now been contacted by a representative of the Station House, and they unequivocally deny the rumours that it is changing one bit. Business as usual they insist.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

I knew it was fishy...

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Regular customers were told last night that the lease for the Station House Pub would not be renewed. The rumours are that either a Spaghetti Factory or Keg will move into the space. I, for one, am hoping for the Keg. Pubs in Langford are getting few and far between.

Or it will become the station for the revived E&N.

#16 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

That will interest the people you have their nascar pool gatherings there, since they were told directly on Wednesday that the place was shutting down and they'd have to find a new venue. But maybe that's just their way of getting rid of the nascar people and hoping they don't notice when the place doesn't actually close.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

That will interest the people you have their nascar pool gatherings there, since they were told directly on Wednesday that the place was shutting down and they'd have to find a new venue. But maybe that's just their way of getting rid of the nascar people and hoping they don't notice when the place doesn't actually close.

All I know is the person that contacted me was fairly upset, and I KNOW he represents the owner. I'm not saying he is being truthful with me.

#18 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

For a relatively new place in an ideal location, I was pretty surprised about what I found when I went inside. For only a few dollars more they could have made a much nicer place with a more enduring design - read - carpeted floor in a pub are you serious this isn't 1970???!!! Some of the booth seats were in pretty rough shape too, torn vinyl and what not. Again - Wood might cost you a bit more up front but sure lasts longer!

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

I've heard enough independent reports now to say that I'm 99% sure something is happening here, it's on the verge of being unloaded by the owner Bill Beadle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users