Photo

Public Art / Public Meeting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PublicArt

PublicArt
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

I would like to invite everybody to the James Bay Neighbourhood Association meeting (Wen. Feb 11, 7 PM, 234 Menzier Street).

I am planning to have the presentation regarding the Public Art Policy in Victoria. The City Sfaff and City Councillors were invited.

Thank you.
Andy

#2 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

I would like to invite everybody to the James Bay Neighbourhood Association meeting (Wen. Feb 11, 7 PM, 234 Menzier Street).

I am planning to have the presentation regarding the Public Art Policy in Victoria. The City Sfaff and City Councillors were invited.

Thank you.
Andy

Thanks for the invite Andy! I will be there.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

What happened to the japanese wood sculpture (Shinto shrine?) that used to be located next to Crystal Gardens and when does the city plan on bringing it back?

The plaza here looks terrible with nothing in it and the loss of any public art would be a shame.

#4 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thats a good question. It wasn't a Shinto shrine, though. It is a piece of art produced by a local artist who made a number of these several years ago. The artist wanted them located in publicly accessible places, and there are several of them scattered around (Butchart Gdns, UVic etc.). The cool thing about these sculptures is that they include a metal gong that is tuned and makes a wonderful sound when it is whacked.

So who would know what happened to it?......I would guess either the PCC (which owns Crystal Garden), maybe the Aria developer (I'm guessing that they are responsible for the 'development' of the courtyard) or maybe the city of Victoria.
Pieta VanDyke

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

What happened to the japanese wood sculpture (Shinto shrine?) that used to be located next to Crystal Gardens and when does the city plan on bringing it back?

The plaza here looks terrible with nothing in it and the loss of any public art would be a shame.

I contacted Martin Segger and he says the sculpture was done by Roy Hamill and that it is owned by the PCC and that they are restoring it.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

gnome shortlist:

Sayward Whitewater Resort
Coombs Antique Store
The Log Cabin General Store (Parksville)
Fast Time Grand Prix (Parksville)
Galey Farms (Saanich)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

Victoria’s orca play structure to be removed, making room for Lights of Wonder

Creator of Centennial Square structure says exhibit should not be put in storage

https://www.vicnews....ghts-of-wonder/

Porter won a competition in 2017 put on by the City of Victoria and the Downtown Business Association in which people were invited to submit concepts for a pop-up play feature and they would cover the costs up to $55,000. Disputes over who would pay for the mats that surround the structure ensued.

Porter says he’s personally shelled out $40,000 for them.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

Nice to see these captive orcas finally set free.

#9 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

How about moving this thread to the other public art thread?

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

How about moving this thread to the other public art thread?

that one is a discussion if we like art.  in this one the question is already settled.

#11 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

Can we set up another thread to discuss this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users