#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

Royal Roads ready to open a satellite campus in James Bay
Times Colonist
February 28, 2009

Royal Roads University is opening a campus in James Bay next week.

The university for working professionals has leased 6,000 square feet on the ground floor at Shoal Point at Fisherman's Wharf and will be offering customized and existing courses aimed at the public and private sector.

The facility, next to the Moka coffee house, opens on Tuesday with an invitational open house for government and business professionals.

University officials said courses could range from one or two weeks to certificate programs.

The idea is to make education more convenient to businesses in the core and government offices near the legislature.

It is the first off-site campus in North America for Royal Roads, which is established in a former military college.

http://www.timescolo...9398/story.html

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

Interesting location. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I often am, but hasn't that space been vacant for a long time?

It would be great if there was an area of interest to the public, like a small display area showcasing the current work being done by faculty and staff in order to make the storefront more inviting and interesting to passersby.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

6000 square feet is not a lot of space. UVic already has a space downtown that is bigger. The location at Shoal Point is not that close to where the government workers are.

Will the location be at all useful for people living in James Bay?

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

I suppose with ample onsite parking people won't mind. Something tells me parking played a significant part in the decision to locate there.

Holden, you're right. Vacancy has plagued Shoal Point's commercial space from the get-go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

The idea of commercial and retail space in a development like Shoal Point is a good idea, the problem is if this is the right location.

Shoal Point is not close to the core of central business district in town. It is also at the ass end of the world for most of us in Greater Victoria, so not that appealing for an office space.

I had a quote for space in there about four and half years ago and I can not remember what it was, but I remember I was astonished at how expensive it was compared to space in Old Town. In the end I have worked out of my own home.

#6 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

I'd sure rather walk there than drive to Colwood, saith the forumite in Rockland.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

I'd sure rather walk there than drive to Colwood, saith the forumite in Rockland.

Most of our existing office space is closer to where most people live than James Bay. The new offices in Vic West and Selkirk are better placed for most people.

Colwood, I would not want to be in an office there, but then I have a large enough house to have an office in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users